Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Handgun Reliability

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Next to shooting reloads the greatest source of malfunctions I have seen on the handgun or rifle range were the result of a well worn aftermarket parts catalog. I rarely see a handgun or rifle that has only had sights changed puke when firing good ammunition.
    Last edited by T2C; 07-25-15 at 16:23.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    ^that or slide your hand off the back of the slide. Many of these guys were riding it trying to see what was going on.

As said, software rules. I had a sick trigger on my last gun (1st pistol) and perform better with a standard striker since I've put a couple k through it, and many k dryfire.

I haven't practiced malfunction drills much at all, just occasionally. I failed to fully seat a mag last year and didn't waste much time tap racking, but even in that, I dropped the gun low and looked down losing sight of the targets...BAD. I didn't realize it until reviewing video. Knowing what to do means nothing if you don't PRACTICE it.it took many hour of practice just to start reloading in front of my face.

I'm no master-class, or trying to cast stones here, it was just a major wakeup call.
    A lot of times the problem shooters we work with do not have an excess of strength - if you let them slide their hands off the back of the slide there is usually a corresponding push forward on the weapon (they don't hold the frame rigid) so we have them pull slightly back and 'crisply release' the slide by flipping their hand/fingers open - same end result as holding the frame rigid and sliding the hand off the slide.

The things I see during reloads that bug the heck out of me are shooters that try to do everything at full extension and those that bring the weapon in and lower it causing them to look down at the weapon. Another problem with many shooters with rifles and shotguns is an artificial desire to hold the weapon into their shoulder and reload. Many shooters become so focused on holding the weapon in the proper position (like they saw on the training video) that they loose all situational awareness and take longer to reload. To me the priorities are head up in the fight, bring the weapon into the window/work space, do what it takes to reload.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Remember Murphy's Law.

I just spent a while Googling for a video I saw a few months back of a police shooting from the officer's body camera where his Glock malfunctioned and he immediately ducked behind cover while clearing it. It was a great demonstration of quick thinking and getting back in the game immediately when things went wrong at the worst time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DirectTo View Post
    Remember Murphy's Law.

I just spent a while Googling for a video I saw a few months back of a police shooting from the officer's body camera where his Glock malfunctioned and he immediately ducked behind cover while clearing it. It was a great demonstration of quick thinking and getting back in the game immediately when things went wrong at the worst time.
    This is a good example of real world. People get lost in trying to clear the malfunction and stand in place, creating an easy target. Heck, watch a decent 12 year old Call of Duty gamer play and even they have figured out you can't stand around reloading your weapon or you get smoked. They move or duck behind cover to get back into action before re-engaging. Obviously, in the real world you are doing all of this live, but the fact remains the same. You cannot create an easy target for the bad guy. Shoot, move , communicate!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A story old as time....

It never fails. Some new guy or somebody with a haul that would make Burt Gummers stash look quaint(but never shoots it) will buy all this extra stuff to try to make their gun better but ultimately makes it worse.

Then blame it on the stuff they modified.
    The secret is discipwine. Lots aand lots of discipwine.
    Yes you must say it with the speech impediment. Thats how it was told to me. Discipwine.

Once they get sick of their stuff messing up they'll buy a boring Gen 3 9mm and some shooting lessons

Feedback Score
    If it's in my safe I trust it 100%....and that includes an LCP. But then again I don't have any competition play toys like you mention in the OP of this thread, if they don't run you go home wondering what to add next...no big deal. Worst that happens is you leave with a bruised ego.
    The Jeep is Family

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    And it goes without saying (yet i'm saying it - I know:) - there will be times when you canNOT clear the malf then & there.
    Had one at the range last month - entire front half of the case separated and stuck in the chamber. Back-ups rule!!!
    john
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The majority of the time it's bad mags, junk ammo, crappy and/or unnecessary aftermarket parts/mods.
    Listen. Tell. Run Like Hell.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecWired View Post
    The majority of the time it's bad mags, junk ammo, crappy and/or unnecessary aftermarket parts/mods.
    Agree. I don't modify my semi-autos much from stock and after I learned the - always buy quality/factory magazine lesson - most issues went away. As a re-loader I sometimes like to experiment with different recipes and sometimes they aren't so good but that's a different matter...

Feedback Score
    I'm bumping this since it's somewhat related.

I am using safariland competition mag holders, metal and open on the font. At a recent match we had to sit and I had a mag pop out before starting. Half way through the stage I thought I felt one pop out again during a reload and reactively checked it and 180d. DQ.

So, another PSA: Test your equipment in every imaginable scenario and be careful! I usually carry them iwb so it's a non issue, but I need to get new mag holders for comp, or run them inside the belt.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12