Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Best irons available, not BUIS, as full time sights

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    If anyone is interested, Centurion Arms just re released their HK style C4 diopter sights. These things haven't been out in a while from my understanding. I received an email saying they are a limited run.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    Uhh this thread is almost 3 years old BUT Scalarworks takes the crown on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I ended up with DD due to price (it's a fun gun) and I didn't want to wait for the release, but the scalar works look top notch. I think they are the only, or at least one of the few 7000 series Al sights. If you want to run irons as a primary, I'd definitely try them out.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Scalarworks are available for full retail price at their website right now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue556 View Post
    If anyone is interested, Centurion Arms just re released their HK style C4 diopter sights. These things haven't been out in a while from my understanding. I received an email saying they are a limited run.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
    I got that email as well. I have neither the funds or the need right now, but I'm still tempted. HK sights were the shit 10 years ago and my inner younger self really wants them...

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Yeah, I didn't know HK sight on an AR was a thing outside of the HK platform rifles. IMO, a VERY strong solution for a HD type rifle running a white light only.

Feedback Score
    I'm really interested in the ScalarWorks BUIS myself. I've also seen what looks like some pre-production Geissele BUIS that have been sent out for testing that might be worth looking into in the *hopefully* near future.

Feedback Score
    I assume the OP has moved and did not want a FSB.

Having assembled a few dedicated iron sight uppers over the years, below are my thoughts/what I have learned.

When using primarily irons, my preference has been a standard barrel mounted FSB.

Ideally, the FSB is as close to the muzzle as possible. Not always easy to do with off the shelf parts/barrels. Not sure if Noveske still makes their 18" Irons barrel but that was probably the best solution (assuming you wanted an 18” barrel and intermediate gas). Other options are to have a .625 FSB opened up to match the barrel diameter behind the muzzle or have a custom contour barrel made with a .750 or .625 seat behind the muzzle.

Plenty of set screw/windage adjustable FSB options out there. Some require flats milled on the barrel, some don't. Not a fan of either style. JP makes a clamp on FSB that is also an adjustable GB but they are not cheap and I am not a fan of that type of adjustable gas block. I do like the clamp style over the set screw and it is what I would use for a FSB behind the muzzle, in conjunction with a separate gas block.

The challenge with standard FSB is to have the installed correctly. I like to have them pinned but also like to have the windage zero end up close to the mechanical center of the rear sight. Aligning the FSB with the index pin on the barrel extension is not always the best solution. I know, sometimes you can get lucky and it ends up close, but sometimes it doesn’t. You don’t know until the upper is built then fixing it may not be practical or elegant.

I send my uppers to Ken Breda for pinning. He centers the rear sight then uses an optical collimator to align the front and rear sights with the bore prior to pinning (only ½ diameter of pin cut into barrel). He can also finish threading the front sight post hole then add a set screw from the bottom to take out the wiggle. The front sight elevation detents are still there and can be used if you back out/remove the set screw first.

With shipping, its not cheap but if you plan to use iron sights only, the front sight is important.

If you think you want to use BRT ports, I would modify the FSB before having it pinned. Not sure if Ken provides that service, but I would guess that he has the ability.

For rear sights, assuming you want an adjustable version, I think LMT A2 style are good if you don’t want a full carry handle. I like the carry handle and use WOA standard and pinned versions with USGI apertures. The way WOA pins, you loose the ability to switch between the apertures. It’s a small sacrifice on a rifle but for this reason, on a carbine, I would skip the pinning. No sure if WOA still offers ½ moa rears but I prefer ½ moa clicks to the standard ¼ moa. ¼ moa is not bad with a shorter sight radius but seems too fine for a practical/field use rifle. I know some others offer pinned rear sights but have no experience with them.
    Last edited by Bob Sacamano; 10-19-17 at 16:44.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234