Thread: Surefire Ryder or Sparrow?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Surefire Ryder or Sparrow?

For the same street price in the $400 range I'm going with the Sparrow based on many positive reviews on how easily serviceable it is. Reason I'm posting today is Armsunlimited has the Surefire on sale for $212. No brainer and go with the Surefire, right?

At the moment I don't own any .22 platforms with threaded barrels and I'm just getting into suppressors. I planned on putting one on a .22 bolt action rifle for fun. Also build an AR15-22 for cheap training purposes, and lets face it, for fun also.

Would you still go with the Sparrow for ease of cleaning despite the sale price of the Surefire?
    Last edited by Jesse H; 10-27-15 at 14:23.

Feedback Score
    I would assume that the Ryder for sale is the aluminum version. If that's the case then I'd consider the main difference between the two to be simply what they are made of. I would only go with aluminum baffles if I 100% NEEDED to shave as much weight as humanly possible. By going with aluminum you just give up way too many cleaning options to make it worth it 99% of the time. Also since it's your first can I'll go ahead and let you know that cleaning rimfire cans by hand freaking sucks. Tumbling the baffles in SS media or throwing them in an ultrasonic cleaner is the way to go unless you like playing with toxic things or scrubbing your fingers to the bone. All that said, the Sparrow has significant FRP on handguns which makes in quite undesirable for that role in my opinion. On rifles I wasn't able to notice a difference from shot to shot. Between those two, I'd go with the Sparrow if it's only ever gonna be used on rifles. If you're going to suppress handguns eventually I'd look into other options with less FRP. SilencerCo Spectre II, AAC Element 2, and the Dead Air Mask-22 all come to mind as some of the good options that are out there. If you're set on Surefire I'd go the stainless route, the Ryder 22-S.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plinkerr View Post
    SilencerCo Spectre II, AAC Element 2, and the Dead Air Mask-22 all come to mind as some of the good options that are out there. If you're set on Surefire I'd go the stainless route, the Ryder 22-S.
    ^^ this ^^

I own a Sparrow, and three Spectre IIs. I'd buy another dozen Spectres before I bought a second Sparrow. It's the only can I own that I regret buying. To me, it does absolutely nothing special to justify the additional cost compared to a Spectre.

Feedback Score
    The only problem with my 1st Sparrow was I didn't buy my 2nd one at the same time. Overall build material may matter to some/most as far as cleaning purposes.
    Tossing the disassembled parts into a tumbler with stainless steel media and it coming out very clean are another reason.
    If weight matters, go elsewhere, if durability, sound, and survivability shooting 5.7FN down to 22Lr then get the Sparrow no questions asked.
    [B]"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."[/B]

Benjamin Franklin, US author, diplomat, inventor, physicist, politician, & printer (1706 - 1790)
    Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759