Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking of going Saker 762... Reasons not to?

Feedback Score

Thinking of going Saker 762... Reasons not to?

I'm finally getting around to finishing a build I started a while ago, and I want to get a few opinions on suppressors before I buy a muzzle device. It's been a busy year for me and I haven't had time to keep up on new products, so hopefully you guys will be able to point out anything I may have missed.

The rifle is a 16" .556 carbine, with a Noveske N4 barrel and Switchblock. The intent from the beginning has been to build a balanced, no-nonsense, reliable and accurate tool, saving weight wherever possible as long as it doesn't compromise the accuracy or durability of the weapon. I feel that I have achieved that, and want to continue that trend with the selection of a suppressor. However, the suppressor will also be shared with several upcoming builds, including a 8-10" 300 Blackout, 20" .308 AR, and possibly a bolt gun in either .308 or .300WM.

I really like the idea of attaching/detaching the Saker with one hand using the MAAD mount, the interchangeable end caps and the full Stellite baffle stack. My thought was to go with a Trifecta flash hider on the 16" .556 and a 20" .308 rifles, and the Trifecta brake on the 300 Blackout. However, now that the Omega is out, I'm wondering if that would be a better choice? I know there is significant weight savings direct threading an Omega vs the Saker 762 with MAAD mount. Unfortunately I don't know what the difference is when using the Omega with the ASR mount, and since I want a QD can that is the comparison I'm most interested in.

The features I'm looking for in a suppressor (in order of importance) are versatility, repeatable POI shift, durability, minimal POI shift, length and weight. Obviously I'd like good sound suppression as well, but it's not nearly as important as the other factors in my opinion. On the topic of weight, I did a quick test of approximately 10oz, 20oz, and 30oz attached at the end of my 16" rifle and found that 10oz. was barely noticeable, 20oz didn't feel heavy but transitions felt slower, and while 30oz definitely had some heft to it it didn't seem unbearably heavy for the couple minutes I had it shouldered.

So the question... Do I continue on the path to the Saker 762 and go with the Trifeca flash hider, or change course and grab an Omega flash hider? Or is there another option entirely I should be looking at? Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and reply.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I have a Saker 762. I don't own an Omega. If the Omega was available when I was shopping, I would have gone with it. It's lighter, shorter, and the MAAD mount on the Saker isn't all it's made out to be. All the videos you see of it being ratcheted on and off don't reflect the reality of what happens after you fire a few hundred rounds and carbon has built up.

I've had my saker get stuck on a mount several times. The normal way to make removal easy is to whack the very tip from multiple angles to break the carbon lock, but sometimes it's on there really tight, especially after long class days with high round counts. I've had to wait until I got home so I could put the upper on a Geissele Reaction Rod and use two hands to crank the suppressor off.

Is the ASR any better? I don't know, but I would have taken my chances for a much lighter and shorter suppressor.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply Slippers. It's always nice to hear from someone with first hand experience.

To add to my original post, I have been doing some digging into the weight difference and this is what I've come up with:
    Omega w/ ASR mount and anchor brake - 14.7 oz
    Specwar/Omega Trifecta RS flash hider - 3.6 oz
    Saker 762 w/ MAAD mount - 20.7 oz
    Saker Trifecta RS flash hider - 3.5 oz

So it looks like 18.3 oz for the Omega vs 24.2 oz for the Saker 762, a difference of 5.9 oz. Anyone know if there are plans to release a Saker K 762? If so, my mind would be made up here and now...

SilencerCo are you listening? We want a Saker K 762! Something around 17.5 oz and 6.5" long would be perfect, thanks.
    Last edited by Badger89; 07-26-15 at 00:05.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    An owner in the Omega thread posted a comprehensive list of weights. Looks like the Omega with ASR mount, Anchor brake and ASR brake is actually 18.7 oz. total. A little less if using the ASR flash hider.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmd08 View Post
    An owner in the Omega thread posted a comprehensive list of weights. Looks like the Omega with ASR mount, Anchor brake and ASR brake is actually 18.7 oz. total. A little less if using the ASR flash hider.
    Good info, thanks. Do you have a link or know which page in the thread? 30 pages is a lot to wade through...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Post #280.

I thought he had an Omega in hand. While re-reading it I'm not sure if he had one in hand or had another source for the weights.

Either way he seems confident in their accuracy.

YMMV.

Feedback Score
    Thanks. Totals have been updated accordingly.

Feedback Score
    If I could only have 1 suppressor that would be spent 80% on 556 platforms and the remaining on 30 cal, then the Omega would probably be my first choice. The SF 762 SOCOM mini is a close second to fill that role.

What the OP is learning is that there is no free lunch when it comes to finding a single suppressor to fill the role of primary 556 / secondary 762 can. There is a lot of give and take when it comes to size, weight, mounting options, etc. when most of the time is spent on the smaller caliber.

I stuggled with this and realized that I would only be happy with dedicated 556 and 762 suppressors. Thus, I decided to go the KAC route since I was not going to rely on 1 suppressor to be an everything can.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    If I could only have 1 suppressor that would be spent 80% on 556 platforms and the remaining on 30 cal, then the Omega would probably be my first choice. The SF 762 SOCOM mini is a close second to fill that role.

What the OP is learning is that there is no free lunch when it comes to finding a single suppressor to fill the role of primary 556 / secondary 762 can. There is a lot of give and take when it comes to size, weight, mounting options, etc. when most of the time is spent on the smaller caliber.

I stuggled with this and realized that I would only be happy with dedicated 556 and 762 suppressors. Thus, I decided to go the KAC route since I was not going to rely on 1 suppressor to be an everything can.
    Omega seems like a decent choice on paper for a 1 can solution, however I think that is a silly idea. If OPs shooting is mostly 556 and not a little 762 and he could only afford 1 can, I'd still recommend going with a dedicated 556 can.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrysimons View Post
    SilencerCo Omega weight and length disambiguation:

-Omega stripped w/o mount or end-cap insert: 9.75oz

-Omega/Harvester Big Bore 5/8X24 direct thread mount: 2.2oz

-Omega/Harvester Big Bore ASR mount (adds .825" OAL over direct thread mount): 3.45oz

-ASR Muzzle Brake 5/8x24 762mm: 3.65oz
    -ASR Muzzle Brake 1/2x28 5.56mm: 4.0oz

-Omega 762mm flat end-cap (ferrous): 1.4oz

-Omega Anchor Brake end-cap (nonferrous, adds .9" OAL over flat end-cap): 1.5oz

Totals:
    -Omega with 5/8x24 direct thread mount and 762 flat end-cap: 13.35oz & about 6.25 inches OAL ( add .1oz & .9 inches for Anchor Brake end-cap)

-Omega with ASR mount and Anchor Brake end-cap: 14.7oz & about 8 inches OAL ( minus .1oz and .9 inches for flat end-cap)

So far I am quite happy with this Silencer at 13.35oz for the set up for which it was bought (.300blk ultralight SBR). Considering it is full auto rated with the stellite blast-baffle it is a great compromise between strength and weight IMO; the 20oz Saker being on one end and the 9.7oz Thunder Beast Ultra 7 on the other. There was errornet claims I came across that were saying the Omega was closer to 17oz with the ASR mount and anchor brake and the SiCo weight spec was the lighter configuration without being specified. Well their 14.6oz spec is the heaviest configuration, 13.35oz is the lightest.
    I actually have an Omega and weighed all the configurations. I plan on buying another as the do all loaner can for the members in my trust to hunt with and shoot with. The Omega for commercial use is hard to beat in IMO. Light, durable, backed by SICO warranty, comes with all the mounting options (call SilencerShop if ordering from them and request a 556 brake, they will likely swap you out). The decibel numbers posted by reviews are favorable in the same direction as marketing claims even if not quite as magical it is still sometimes shorter&quieter. In that thread I talked out of my ass about the ASR mounting system being a ratchet setup before I understood exactly how it worked. TXBK set me straight and after using it, it works great and has a lot more thread contact than AACs mount too, it locks up very solid. I have not shoot enough through it to see if it gets stuck (I also use a coating of Fireclean on mount). I did have to mess with the collar a little bit before it would easily twist lock. Mostly the teeth on the mount and the teeth on the lock feet need to be staggered which in my case means I have to thread the can on full tight and then give it one gorilla grip twist by hand to get them to line up. Then the lock collar slides and cams the feet against the mount with an appropriate amount of force.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast