Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New CZ P-07 and P-09 pics and impressions and surprises

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

New CZ P-07 and P-09 pics and impressions and surprises

My CZ P-07 and P-09 arrived Saturday and will act as replacements for a Glock 19 and Glock 22. This was a decision that literally took years to decide. I don't change pistols often and Glock has been my mainstay for over a decade. The P-07 was exactly what I was looking for in a G19 replacement in terms of size/weight/capacity.

Then P-07 is the Gen 2 model and was manufactured February 2014; the P-09 is the Suppresor Ready version made March 2015. Surprisingly both came with lanyard loops on the mainspring plug, which I thought was retired with the P-07 Duty.

The P-07 came with two magazine extending floor plates which was a nice, unexpected addition.

Both pistols came nicely packaged with quality cases and padding. The amount of information and literature booklets they come with was hefty and the test targets were impressive with lots of info even down to the ammo type used.

The P-09 has two 19 round magazine and P-07 has 15 rounders. The P-07 will take mags from P-09 but stick out the bottom obviously. I picked up two additional magazines at the time of purchase at approximately $42 each, which is NOT cheap by Glock standards.

The thread protector is interesting looking. Not sure if the design serves a purpose, but it's appealing to the eye.

There are 3 back straps with nice stippling patterns. The small is on the P-07 while I have the medium on the P-09. The grip is exquisite and locks up into my grip perfectly. The grip is part of the reason I like Glocks, but the CZ grips are more ergonomic. Most pistols just don't give that positive lockup in my hand. M&P's for example just drift around no matter what backstrap is installed.

The P-07 is a unapologetic full size pistol and makes no attempt to ride the line like, say, the VP9. It's a big gun, but light with a touch of nose heaviness.

Controls are well placed and mostly flush. The melonite finish is deep and flawless. It's much better than the old phosphate finish CZ used on the 07 Duty model. I have decockers installed, but the Omega trigger can be swapped to a cocked and locked safety. All the parts come in the box for the switch.

The sights are good and low profile, and the hammer design is easy to use. They are luminescent sights like the HK VP9. They pick up ambient light quickly and hold a charge for about 30 minutes. There is no sharp angle present on the rear site to aide in one-handed manipulation drills.

In terms of the superficial these are good looking pistols that resemble something like a SIG 320 mixed with a VP9 and CZ SP-01. Machining is clean with no noticiable tool marks. The finish is flawless and the polymer feels rigid and robust. The trigger is mostly straight and easy to reach. There is some take-up in both double and single action. The single action is a real joy with nice shortish, tactile reset, and light pull weight.

More impressions soon and range report soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SpecWired; 07-29-15 at 15:42.
    Listen. Tell. Run Like Hell.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Nice pick ups! CZs are guns that I ignored for decades for no reason I can determine. I picked up one recently and I have been thoroughly impressed. The only flaw with CZ is they have too many products and need to focus on a narrower line (these guns might be the place to start). My Sp-01 is a phenomenal, fast shooter.

Keep us updated.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quick thoughts after tinkering with the CZ P-09 around the house.

I switched out the decocker for the safety. It took about 5 minutes with the help of Youtube Mrgunsngear Channel

The safety lever is clicky, tactile and has enough surface area to engage easily, while still being fairly low profile. It also cleans up the single action trigger pull just a little so that it breaks a little lighter and cleaner.

More importantly, the safety cannot be engaged hammer down. It has to be cocked and locked. Meaning you can keep the simple point and click hammer down, double action first shot and still benefit from the nicer single action trigger pull.
    Last edited by SpecWired; 07-27-15 at 06:38.
    Listen. Tell. Run Like Hell.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Bought the older p07 in .40 cal for the wife as a ccw and would have access to plenty of my duty ammo but is was a little thick for her frame to iwb carry. She traded out my glock 23 for purse carry instead. I went with the p07 so she could carry hammer down and have double strike capabilities as she is a new shooter and not as trained for malfunction drills. I have since purchased the p07 9mm used upper half that cz sels separate and she is liking it more in the 9mm configuration. I liked the p07 so much I purchased the p09 in 9mm for me as a gaming gun. Mags are expensive but can be found at gregcote.com for resonable price. CZ sometimes offers sales in quantity of 3 mags for $100 if you get there in time. Both pistols have the CGW upgrades and are great shooters. Very happy with cz and most owners say they multiply.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Very nice.

I looked hard at the P-07 v2.0 with a manual safety, but the gun I really want is the P-02/ "Compact Model L."

I'm going to keep waiting and see if they will ever do another round of those...

Feedback Score
    David at Cajun Gun Works makes competition parts for both the 07 and 09. One fellow on another forum posted pictures of his 07 barrel with rust on it and claimed CZ left their barrels in bare steel, but I've had no rusting on mine.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Good luck with yours.. I'd caution you to keep an eye on which one you use as a CCW.. The one I had the chamber would start rusting, pitting, if I carried it for more that a couple days. After I removed the rust in my chambers, I found that it was now pitted. CZUSA told me over the phone that the chambers on the P09,07 series are left in the white..(the barrel's interior forward of the chamber appear to be melonited) I would've kept mine if it wasn't for this issue. CZUSA was also unresponsive when called about it.. They're suggestion was to keep the barrel oiled. I had pics up over at www.pistol-forum.com on Pg 2 in the "autoloaders' forum under the title "CZ P-07 rusting issues" also in my ad in the EE if anyone doesn't believe me. All I could suggest is to keep a close eye on it if you carry it when it's warm, humid.. other than this issue, The P-07 is a excellent pistol...
    Last edited by ralph; 07-27-15 at 10:16.
    There's a race of men who don't fit in, A race that can't stay still, So, they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will..

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
    David at Cajun Gun Works makes competition parts for both the 07 and 09. One fellow on another forum posted pictures of his 07 barrel with rust on it and claimed CZ left their barrels in bare steel, but I've had no rusting on mine.
    That would be ralph.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    ralph:

If you still have the 07, I'll buy it from you for $200

Seriously, if it was my gun, I'd send the slide and barrel to Wilson Combat for some of their great Armor Tuff finish for the win. I have the 07 Duty, love it.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    ralph:

If you still have the 07, I'll buy it from you for $200

Seriously, if it was my gun, I'd send the slide and barrel to Wilson Combat for some of their great Armor Tuff finish for the win. I have the 07 Duty, love it.

Pistol was sold with full disclosure... I was up front with the rust/pit issue in the chamber, as I put pics of it in my ad in the EE, I was honest about it. I made the buyer a pretty good package deal. As far as having someone else refinish the barrel, The better question is, why doesn't CZ fully melonite the barrels in the first place, instead of leaving the chambers in the white? In this day and age, with all the wonderful highly rust resistant coatings available, there's really no reason to leave a chamber in the white..
    Last edited by ralph; 07-27-15 at 11:52.
    There's a race of men who don't fit in, A race that can't stay still, So, they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will..

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast