Thread: Is there anything like a S&W 442 J-Frame in .327 Federal?

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)

Is there anything like a S&W 442 J-Frame in .327 Federal?

I'm looking to get a pocket revolver to use as a backup gun on duty. I'm pretty much settled on the S&W 442, but I've always liked the idea of the .327 Federal caliber.
    It looks like S&W did make some J-Frames in .327, but I can't tell if any were pocket style guns with short barrels and DAO hammers. I know of one version with adjustable sights, standard hammer, and longer barrel, but that doesn't really fit my needs.
    Can anyone provide any insight to this? I'm basically looking for something in the same or similar configuration as the 442, but .327 Fed.
    Thanks!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    It's been a few years since I looked, but IIRC Ruger's SP101 and possibly Blackhawk series were offered in .327 Federal Magnum. I've never seen the SP101 in person so I'm not sure if it fits your S&W comparison, but the Blackhawk would not.
    Last edited by Co-gnARR; 07-27-15 at 08:55.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Why .327?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-gnARR View Post
    It's been a few years since I looked, but IIRC Ruger's SP101 and possibly Blackhawk series were offered in .327 Federal Magnum. I've never seen the SP101 in person so I'm not sure if it fits your S&W comparison, but the Blackhawk would not.
    The SP101 is cool, and I may get one someday, I'm right now I'm specifically looking for a S&W J-Frame.
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Why .327?
    Better ballistics, lower recoil, and higher capacity than .38.

Feedback Score
    As far as I know the only lightweight S&W centennials in 32 caliber were 32 H&R. All the S&W .327s were steel frame. Having had .327 Rugers with 5.5" and 4" the blast is terrible and would give me a headache unless I used plugs and muffs. Out of a 2" barrel for a backup gun that would need a lot of practice, no thanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yes. S&W made a J frame snubby in 327 Federal a few years ago that was 6 shot and black just like a 442. I believe it was the 432. Try a google search for that and you'll see it.
    "When you go home, Tell them of us and say, For your tomorrow, We gave our today."

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cathellsk View Post
    Yes. S&W made a J frame snubby in 327 Federal a few years ago that was 6 shot and black just like a 442. I believe it was the 432. Try a google search for that and you'll see it.
    I looked it up and it's prefect, except it is chambered in .32 H&R mag, not .327 Federal. Damn! If only...
    Quote Originally Posted by ImBroke View Post
    As far as I know the only lightweight S&W centennials in 32 caliber were 32 H&R. All the S&W .327s were steel frame. Having had .327 Rugers with 5.5" and 4" the blast is terrible and would give me a headache unless I used plugs and muffs. Out of a 2" barrel for a backup gun that would need a lot of practice, no thanks.
    I wouldn't mind a steel gun, my main stipulation is a small j frame without bulky sights or hammer to get snagged.
    Last edited by masakari; 07-27-15 at 21:54.

Feedback Score
    Get a 357 mag gun instead. 357 does everything better than the 327, there's more recoil, but also much greater effectiveness. Until ajacketed .32 bullet is developed that makes the 327 an effective 100 yard deer round, I'll stay with the bigger bore.

Besides, you can buy 38/357 ammo anywhere. It may not be exactly what you were shopping for, but it's get the job done.
    “Detached Reflection Cannot Be Demanded in the Presence of an Uplifted Knife” ~ Brown v. United States (1921)

Feedback Score
    I know you want that 327 but are you going to have access to enough ammo to really practice enough. 38spl and 357 mag are everywhere, cheap, and quite versatile. That 327 edges at the bottom of what a 357 can do but the 357 has so much more room to grow so to speak.

Feedback Score
    Ruger now makes the LCR in .327FED. Probably as close to a J-frame size you'll get.

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/specSheets/5452.html
    If you can't win a gun fight against a lightly-trained individual during broad daylight with 88 rounds of 30-06, I'm not sure you'd be able to do it with... any other firearm.
    -Fjallhrafn
    Ok, I've got an El Camino full of rampage here, so what's the plan?