Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's with all these cut out receiver designs?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Depends on what your priority/perspective is. If your goal is to build the most 'fail-safe' rifle for battle, then you'd probably go with something pretty standard. If you already have a bunch of 'standard' rifles and like variety in your weapons, and want to build something that looks different, or light weight that's only used at the range, then it's a good thing that companies like BAD offer those kind of options.

To the OP - if you're asking from the perspective of military/LE and are concerned with a skeletal magwell design potentially being an issue, that's a valid question because of the environment and consequences related to that happening.

but, if the rifle is not used where that may be a life-treatening issue, like on a one-way range for drills and target practice, the only consequence is annoyance and maybe some embarrassment. if you're hunting, for example, and want a light weight receiver; are you really going to be swapping out mags quickly?

by the way, i don't even see the skeletal lowers offered for sale by themselves on the BAD website - only on custom-assembled rifles which are obviously meant for a niche market. it's not being submitted for a military contract. it's for the hobbyist/enthusiast. the billet receiver that they offer for sale individually has a solid mag well. the same logic applies to all the aftermarket glock slides with lightening holes or slots.

it'd be a very boring industry if everyone didn't make variations of a common platform. not everyone owns a rifle for the same purpose, and i'm glad to see companies offer products for a wide variety of customers. we, as customers, are supposed to be intelligent enough to make decisions based on our own intentions, and eliminate products that don't fit our individual needs. but there's no need to dismiss or talk negatively about companies that offer products for shooters with different needs or wants than our own. if you think a product isn't going to work for you, move on. it's that simple.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The OIP (ounce is pounds) project isn't BAD's, BAD designed and made the parts, Bentwood Gunsmithing is the owner of the OIP project.

While I was there (I'm no longer a partner there) I wasn't all that involved in the OIP, but knew it for what it was: an exercise in engineering to produce the lightest AR, but without unacceptable compromises to reliability. Compromises had to be made to achieve that goal, but reliability wasn't one of them.

It's not for everyone, its unique design would see to that, and it wasn't marketed to everyone either, its very limited availability would see to that.

As far as Battle Arms not bringing anything to the market, I for obvious reasons disagree. You can thank Battle Arms for the proliferation of short throw selectors, and helping to bring AR ergonomics front and center. We weren't the first to do it, but we did make enough impact for folks to pay attention to these heretofore neglected aspects.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mebiuspower View Post
    It's for clearing jam, mud and dirt, like the Beretta M9 open slide design dating back 50+ years ago.
    Beretta's open slides go back further than that...

At least as far back as 1919, possibly earlier....

Beretta Model 418 (James Bond's type pistol)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'm sure some of you die hard Noveske fanboys might hate me for saying this, but I am having a really hard time seeing any value in anything that Erathr3 does. At all. Why would anyone leave noveske for that stupid crap??!
    Gun and Gear Reviews- www.almosttacticalreviews.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzook View Post
    I'm sure some of you die hard Noveske fanboys might hate me for saying this, but I am having a really hard time seeing any value in anything that Erathr3 does. At all. Why would anyone leave noveske for that stupid crap??!
    Agreed........Didn't Joel Allen leave Noveske for V7? Some pretty interesting and cutting edge stuff going on there IMO........their lightweight/titanium stuff looks amazing, albeit expensive.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Gucci Gear/Man Bling.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    They provide an additional hole(s) on your rifle to finger bang, while on the couch in your moms basement, because clearly people attracted to this crap are not building guns for anything other than a cuddly toy while they play video games.

It does surprise me that companies like BAD are catering to this.

Personally past being asinine I find them ugly. If you want light weight the 2a Armament receiver seems the way to go, I have their upper and its very nice, getting a lower is in my future.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    They provide an additional hole(s) on your rifle to finger bang, while on the couch in your moms basement, because clearly people attracted to this crap are not building guns for anything other than a cuddly toy while they play video games.

Personally past being asinine I find them ugly. If you want light weight the 2a Armament receiver seems the way to go, I have their upper and its very nice, getting a lower is in my future.

If you have any questions, always feel free to call the shop, or E-mail.

Ryan
    Founder and co-owner/operator at 2A-Armament

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post

Ya! Shame on BAD for doing contract work for a paying customer! Especially when someone else proclaims that it's crap.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12