Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vltor A5 question

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I always subscribed to the principle that the best buffer for your weapon system is the heaviest buffer you can run, that doesn't cause issues with operation.....sometimes this involves trial and error.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toecheese View Post
    I always subscribed to the principle that the best buffer for your weapon system is the heaviest buffer you can run, that doesn't cause issues with operation.....sometimes this involves trial and error.
    I agree. If the OP is unsure I would recommend starting with the A5H2 since that's what comes in the kit if you buy it from Vltor.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    I agree. If the OP is unsure I would recommend starting with the A5H2 since that's what comes in the kit if you buy it from Vltor.
    Very sound advice.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This is a timely subject to bring up for discussion, as I had a question to pose regarding an A5 with 300BLK use.

I will be building a 300BLK dedicated subsonic suppressed upper in the near future (Noveske 8.5" with an Octane 45HD), and the lower I will be using it on will have an A5H3 for use with my 11.5" upper...if it doesn't run with the A5H3 I still have an A5H0 I could probably get it to run fine on.

Now the real question I have is, has anybody tried an LMT Enhanced Carrier in a similar 300BLK build utilizing the A5 system? How does this impact reliability/function, if at all?

(ETA for clarification: 300BLK + LMT E-Carrier = A5H_?? Could I get away with running the A5H3 and not need to swap it everytime I go to the 300BLK upper and still reap the benefits of both E-Carrier and A5?)
    Last edited by Shooterman017; 07-30-15 at 21:09.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooterman017 View Post
    Now the real question I have is, has anybody tried an LMT Enhanced Carrier in a similar 300BLK build utilizing the A5 system? How does this impact reliability/function, if at all?

(ETA for clarification: 300BLK + LMT E-Carrier = A5H_?? Could I get away with running the A5H3 and not need to swap it everytime I go to the 300BLK upper and still reap the benefits of both E-Carrier and A5?)
    I assume this is the same Tom on M4C:
    http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86026

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayrevolver View Post
    I assume this is the same Tom on M4C:
    http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86026
    That was myself in early testing. I've done much more since that time. The A5 system works very well, I would tend to say it would be a worthwhile addition for 300 Blackout builds. A properly ported barrel balanced with reciprocating mass is a no brainer.
    As for the LMT Enhanced carrier, it can show some issues. It can show some improvements as well. In the carbine action system, it can be a headache. In the A5 action it can be very beneficial, I would hesitate to recommend it to a carbine action system. AAC makes a BCG, that in testing seems to be exceptional for the 9"ish 300 Blackout guns in the carbine action, and better in the A5. I'm not a fan of the AAC carrier coating, but it seems to work well enough in those.
    Tests of earlier AAC 9" guns with the A5 was problematic, later guns are fine for subs without a can, but I never pursued as to why. Supposedly, they changed nothing.
    I would say that a gun gassed for an H2 carbine would be an ideal candidate for the A5H2 for most. Adding the LMT Enhanced carrier could be an improvement in an A5, but may not work as well in the carbine action.
    My study of this is more of a test in progress, without end results. Sometimes the results of things aren't as expected.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Thanks Tom.

I have been shooting the AAC 9" + Suppressor + H2/Sprinco White and it has worked great. Yesterday I tried the same upper with a Vltor A5 (standard kit) and it worked also, BHO etc. But it did seem to be noticeably slower with respect to cycling. I brought along an A5H4 buffer but didn't bother to try it.

I do have a LMT E-carrier but it lives on a 5.56 SBR. If I have time I can try the E-carrier with the A5H2 and A5H4. I feel like I will like the E-carrier + A5, so I am loathe to try it since I will want to buy another E-carrier.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayrevolver View Post
    Thanks Tom.

I have been shooting the AAC 9" + Suppressor + H2/Sprinco White and it has worked great. Yesterday I tried the same upper with a Vltor A5 (standard kit) and it worked also, BHO etc. But it did seem to be noticeably slower with respect to cycling. I brought along an A5H4 buffer but didn't bother to try it.

I do have a LMT E-carrier but it lives on a 5.56 SBR. If I have time I can try the E-carrier with the A5H2 and A5H4. I feel like I will like the E-carrier + A5, so I am loathe to try it since I will want to buy another E-carrier.
    A properly weighted A5 with the LMT enhanced carrier can work very well. The slower action combined with the time delay in cam timing reduces the work needed to unlock and extract and gives more time for depressurizing and exhaust events to occur. When compared to the conventional BCG with the carbine action system, those changes are pretty evident.
    Last edited by tom12.7; 08-01-15 at 17:46. Reason: To make the second sentence clearer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12