Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Civi IFAK??

Feedback Score
    You and me seem to be in the same boat. I am Civvy and not a door kicker, nor in the .mil. I just bought the exact same kit and ATS small tear away med pack that you asked about from Josh at Greygroup. The kit fits into the ATS small pack perfectly. The small pack is perfect for putting on my Eagle M4 LE chest rig, on my plate carrier, or in any of my bags.

My family and I just traveled through the desert to hit the local Colorado River spot... I felt a lot better about having this kit in case anyone gets hurt (along with my normal 1st aid stuff that is always in the car).

The kit goes with me on every range day and also is in my car/house for CCW/home defense considerations.

I am personally going to add this http://www.greygrouptraining.biz/TMS...p/softt-nh.htm to my kit.

Good luck, your on the right track.

Feedback Score

i hope this helps....

rd62-

i am a medic with the 82nd airborne division, as well as a civilian emt-i and an instructor at the local community college in fayetteville north carolina. i understand your dilemma. so i hope that i might be able to help shed some light here for you. the first thing that you want to figure out is what type of carrier that you are planning to use. you could go out and get some "cool-boy" medical sustainment pouch, that could run you between $40-100 depending on the size and the manufacture. i know the guys at grey group (hell i have given them some paychecks before) and they got a good selection of gear. and if there is something that they don’t have in the store they will special order it for you. and get it to you in a quickness (as long as certain individuals there stay away from the haji chicken... sorry inside joke). but from what i am reading you are wanting something for a discrete every day and what not. i carry an assault pack or a bug-out bag with that has a small but effective "kit". the kit is a heavy duty ziplok baggie.. if you don't want others to see what is inside you can cover it in duct tape (color of your choice). in side is a CAT (combat application tourniquet) tourniquet, a SOF-TT (special operations force - tactical tourniquet, 2-3 kerlix gauze roles, 2 6" ace wraps, gloves, 2-3 pieces of plastic (example.. mre wrapper or similar product) for a occlusive dressing and 3" surgical tape. all in all that is going to be all you need to deal with most any type of emergency when carrying a weapon. a personal or one person use kit. you would be better off staying low tech as far as the kit and putting the money into the supplies to stock it. if you would like i could help you with the kit(s), it would not cost much to make at all... i could tailor them with extra items for any situation that you might think you might come accross. just let me know
    "Doc" A.

"And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts. And I looked, and behold a pale horse, and his name that sat on him was Death, and hell followed with him."- The Man Comes Around
    - Johnny Cash R.I.P.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

I've been meaning to get a few for each vehicle, and gear. Thanks for the links to get these Civi IFAKs.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tjcoker View Post
    You and me seem to be in the same boat. I am Civvy and not a door kicker, nor in the .mil. I just bought the exact same kit and ATS small tear away med pack that you asked about from Josh at Greygroup. The kit fits into the ATS small pack perfectly. The small pack is perfect for putting on my Eagle M4 LE chest rig, on my plate carrier, or in any of my bags.

My family and I just traveled through the desert to hit the local Colorado River spot... I felt a lot better about having this kit in case anyone gets hurt (along with my normal 1st aid stuff that is always in the car).

The kit goes with me on every range day and also is in my car/house for CCW/home defense considerations.

I am personally going to add this http://www.greygrouptraining.biz/TMS...p/softt-nh.htm to my kit.

Good luck, your on the right track.
    I just got this setup, with the SOF tourniquet today after ordering Friday. I will check it out tonight, but the shipping was fast!

soicdoc,
    Anything else besides everyday bandages and such that I need in this kit, or is it good the way it is? Please explain the use of the plastic pieces in your kit.
    Thanks.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fringe View Post
    I just got this setup, with the SOF tourniquet today after ordering Friday. I will check it out tonight, but the shipping was fast!

soicdoc,
    Anything else besides everyday bandages and such that I need in this kit, or is it good the way it is? Please explain the use of the plastic pieces in your kit.
    Thanks.
    The plastic like he said is for an occlusive dressing. When the chest wall is punctured, it can lead to a sucking chest wound. When the diaphram expands, instead of creating a vacum that pulls air into the lungs it pulls air into the chest cavity via the hole. An occlusive dressing is placed over the hole and taped on three sides. This allows air to flow OUT of the wound, but not IN through the wound. And helps prevent the wounded from suffocating. You can use ceran wrap, or other non-porus items.

-RD62

Feedback Score
    very true rd62, today we are teaching to tape all four sides of the occlusive dressing. but we also, if needed (well more like when it is needed) we stick a 10 or 14 gauge 3" i.v. catheter in to the chest wall to relieve the pressure. if you do not carry one of those, only tape down three sides and leave the side that the patient will be laying on unsealed. remember to apply the occlusive dressing when the patient exhales so that you get a nice tight seal. (ie laying on their left side, leave the left side untaped, the right side for the right side, if the patient is sitting up then leave the bottom portion unsealed). the big this is to make sure that you have 2" of excess plastic on all sides of the wound. and use liberal amounts of 3" surgical tape. after that put a dressing that is tied 1 finger tight with a square knot to make sure that it goes no where. again tie this knot as the patient exhales.
    another reason why we use it is for neck wounds. first we put the plastic occlusive dressing over the wound, then the dressing to help hold it in place. it keeps air entering through the neck going down into the chest causing subcutaneous emphysema (it sounds like rice crispies), and from going up into the brain causing an emboli.
    fringe- there is no one way or the perfect way to pack or load a med kit, unless you want to turn your ruck into one. everything is situational, so pack that way. think of different situations that you might face and pack according to that.
    "Doc" A.

"And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts. And I looked, and behold a pale horse, and his name that sat on him was Death, and hell followed with him."- The Man Comes Around
    - Johnny Cash R.I.P.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stoicdoc View Post
    (it sounds like rice crispies)
    The first diagnosis of crepitation seems to always use that term.

I have went tough a lot of saran wrap in the field, used to cut a roll in half or thirds and fill the inside of the cardboard tube with a roller or ace, makes a handy little dressing package.
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stoicdoc View Post
    very true rd62, today we are teaching to tape all four sides of the occlusive dressing. but we also, if needed (well more like when it is needed) we stick a 10 or 14 gauge 3" i.v. catheter in to the chest wall to relieve the pressure. if you do not carry one of those, only tape down three sides and leave the side that the patient will be laying on unsealed. remember to apply the occlusive dressing when the patient exhales so that you get a nice tight seal. (ie laying on their left side, leave the left side untaped, the right side for the right side, if the patient is sitting up then leave the bottom portion unsealed). the big this is to make sure that you have 2" of excess plastic on all sides of the wound. and use liberal amounts of 3" surgical tape. after that put a dressing that is tied 1 finger tight with a square knot to make sure that it goes no where. again tie this knot as the patient exhales.
    another reason why we use it is for neck wounds. first we put the plastic occlusive dressing over the wound, then the dressing to help hold it in place. it keeps air entering through the neck going down into the chest causing subcutaneous emphysema (it sounds like rice crispies), and from going up into the brain causing an emboli.
    fringe- there is no one way or the perfect way to pack or load a med kit, unless you want to turn your ruck into one. everything is situational, so pack that way. think of different situations that you might face and pack according to that.
    Good info, thanks!
    I understand your last comment after loading the ITK into the ATS pack and it barely fit and it was super tight after I added the SOF tourniquet. This will be my exclusive gun blow out kit and I will have others for less serious situations. This stuff is good to think about. Thanks all!

Feedback Score

yup...

The first diagnosis of crepitation seems to always use that term.
    ...or like mini-bubble wrap being popped...sounds and feels just like you'd think...
    sub-q emphysema...makes my hair stand on end...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12