Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need form 1 CLEO advice

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Need form 1 CLEO advice

Hey guys I'm trying to from 1 a lower, so I ordered the form 1 packet from the ATF. Then I go to my sheriff's office to get fingerprinted and CLEO sign off but the people working in the sheriff's office had no idea what I was trying to do, they had never even heard of a form 1 and a SBR. Then they say they can't fingerprint me because their process is all computer controlled now and couldn't fingerprint me with ink on the fingerprint cards I got from the ATF. So I'm kinda confused on what to do now any help I would really appreciate. I hope this is in the right section. Thanks

Feedback Score
    The best thing to do is to create a trust. Then you do not have to worry about getting a CLEO signature and you have the flexibility to add other family members as part of the trust to simplify the transfer of the weapon in the future. Once a trust is set up , just scan and upload to eFile when you file out your Form 1.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    To answer your first question, the people that work with the sheriff don't need to know what you're trying to do. I ran in to the same issue. Just put it all in a large envelope. Put a note on the outside with your name and phone number. Also write something like "For Sheriff Smith's signature. Please call when ready." Tell the sheriff's handlers that you have something that you need to leave for him to sign. If they say that don't know what it is, just tell them that it's required federal documentation for a rifle you're going to build and he'll know what to do. They don't need to know that it's an SBR. If for some reason your sheriff is not a right protector but rather a right denier and refuses to sign, then ask for a meeting with him. You can explain in a friendly manner that you were giving him the courtesy of knowing, but you can go the trust route instead which doesn't require his signature. It's not that it would change his mind, but it's just fun to let jerks like that know that you're going to be able to do it anyway.

As for the fingerprint thing, I ran in to the exact same situation. Actually, I run in to the exact same situation each time I go to get fingerprints because there's always a different person there. The fingerprint cards they use for other purposes are most likely in the same format as the cards that you have. Where I live they have an optical scanner that scans your fingerprints. I just tell them to load my cards in the printer instead. No ink ever touches my fingers. They usually want to use their cards, but I explain that the ATF will reject the cards if they don't receive the exact ones they stamped. Again, if they ask, I tell them that the finger prints are needed for the approval of building a rifle. I leave off the part about it being an SBR. This way if the person who is helping you is anti-gun, then they actually feel good that you have to get permission to build a rifle. Little do they know that you actually don't for non-NFA rifles. BTW, I hope that you got more than two finger print cards. I usually take ten at a time. They don't expire, so you can use them years down the road.

Let us know if you have other questions.
    Last edited by Bret; 07-29-15 at 15:40.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Thanks for the reply guys, it's a lot of help. I think I'm going to try your suggestions Bret thanks, I would like to try the individual route before doing a trust.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by masenomics View Post
    Thanks for the reply guys, it's a lot of help. I think I'm going to try your suggestions Bret thanks, I would like to try the individual route before doing a trust.
    I got my fingerprints done elsewhere and then took the completed packet to the Sheriff just for the signature. That might help you over the hurdle too. Some places just don't want to be bothered with doing your prints. You may end up paying a vendor to get them done but it is worth doing it just to have it all ready for the Sheriff. The ATF cards should work in the computer style set ups. That is how mine were done. If you have a buddy in Law Enforcement see if they can point you to somewhere else to get the prints done up.
    Open the pig!

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyG View Post
    I got my fingerprints done elsewhere and then took the completed packet to the Sheriff just for the signature. That might help you over the hurdle too. Some places just don't want to be bothered with doing your prints. You may end up paying a vendor to get them done but it is worth doing it just to have it all ready for the Sheriff. The ATF cards should work in the computer style set ups. That is how mine were done. If you have a buddy in Law Enforcement see if they can point you to somewhere else to get the prints done up.
    I went a similar route. Where I live SBRs are extremely rare as they have only been leagal for about 2 years and trusts aren't allowed. My sheriff's dept doesnt offer finger print service, so I paid $40 to a private firm to get them done. Then I made an appointment to meet with my sheriff in person. We had a nice chat and he signed my Form 1. It took less than 5 min.
    Last edited by Korgs130; 08-01-15 at 09:24.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgs130 View Post
    I went a similar route. Where I live SBRs are extremely rare as they have only been leagal for about 2 years and trusts aren't allowed. My sheriff's dept doesnt offer finger print service, so I paid $40 to a private firm to get them done. Then I made an appointment to meet with my sheriff in person. We had a nice chat and he signed my Form 1. It took less than 5 min.
    Thanks a lot guys for your replies, maybe you guys will know, but does it matter if say I just have a small town local cop do my fingerprints or does it matter who or how just as long as they're done correctly?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ltcal94 View Post
    The best thing to do is to create a trust. Then you do not have to worry about getting a CLEO signature and you have the flexibility to add other family members as part of the trust to simplify the transfer of the weapon in the future. Once a trust is set up , just scan and upload to eFile when you file out your Form 1.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    This by far is the best way to go… for many reasons.
    RANGE TIME on Facebook
    RANGE TIME on Instagram
    RANGE TIME on Twitter
    NRA Life Member/RSO

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    County jail did my fingerprints on the proper cards. It was electronic. They also do fingerprints for kids, carry permits, etc. They did this up front, not in back/booking area. So, check with your county lock up. They are pretty good at fingerprinting.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by masenomics View Post
    Is there any particular reason for this? www.199trust.com (on sale right now for $59) sent me my trust within 24 hours and I took the trust to my local bank for motorization on my lunch break, which took 10 minutes max. Then I scanned a copy of the trust to my computer and uploaded it to ATF's eforms page.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast