Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Handloads so good they keyhole!

Feedback Score

Handloads so good they keyhole!

Gents, I don't know if it is possible to unf**k me, but I'm going to see if you all can give it a shot.

I've spent a lot of time over the last year learning the ins and outs of reloading in mostly .223, 9mm, and .45 ACP. I thought I was ready to move up to match ammo reloading, but obviously this isn't the case.

I've spent all summer doing ladder tests and working up a .308 match load. My final load was pretty close to Newberry's recommended load for finding the high node. I was getting good groups around both his low and high node recommendations, but I loaded twenty-five rounds of the hotter one for velocity.

Now, I'm a decent shooter with a good deal of precision shooting in the military and after on my own. I can shoot sub MOA consistently, and like most others, better on my good days. I can't tell you what my rifle is capable of because it shoots better than I do. I have shot sub half minute groups on those rare days when I'm on my game. It is a McMillian tac with a 24" barrel. I don't have my log book with me, but it has a little over 2,200 logged round through it. I have been shooting factory ammo also during the time I have been doing my workups and there has been no drop in accuracy. It's not the shooter or the rifle. That being said, I am not a competition or a bench shooter, and I'm not good enough to be. I'm looking for ammo that is as good or a little better than Federal GMM, cheaper that GMM, and since I have been stockpiling components, more available to me than GMM. I'm not doing neck turning and such to get bench rest accuracy because that's not my intended purpose, and I couldn't utilize that level of accuracy even if I could reload that well.

My load is Sierra 175gr Mk, LC brass once fired through my rifle only, 43gr of 4064, Federal match primers, neck sized, and bullet seated with a Forester Ultra seating die.

I was getting a little less than MOA at three hundred for my first ladder and about the same at four for my second. Not great groups, but when this happens I tend to blame myself as having an off day or out of practice. I picked the best load, and loaded up twenty five rounds for my first trip to my home range for a full shooting session. I shot my first group at 850. Nothing. I thought I had really screwed up my wind call so I shot a second group and again, nothing. I then shot a decent group with factory ammo to test my rifle. When I went to check the last group I notice two holes in the bottom and middle of my target board I hadn't noticed the first two times I checked, both perfect keyholes. Now, I was using a 8x4' political sign as my target backer. This was a three foot group of two keyholes!

No impact no idea on where I should go from here. I've researched, read, asked, and haven't been able to put what I've learned into practice.

All that I can offer is perceived recoil was lighter on my loads than the GMM ammo I used to check my rifle.

Where do I go from here?

Feedback Score
    WAG here... You're shooting longish 175s at 850yds, and the recoil is less than "normal," so... I'm guessing they're spinning too slowly and destabilizing.

What's the twist of your barrel?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by STAMarine View Post
    Gents, I don't know if it is possible to unf**k me, but I'm going to see if you all can give it a shot.

I've spent a lot of time over the last year learning the ins and outs of reloading in mostly .223, 9mm, and .45 ACP. I thought I was ready to move up to match ammo reloading, but obviously this isn't the case.

I've spent all summer doing ladder tests and working up a .308 match load. My final load was pretty close to Newberry's recommended load for finding the high node. I was getting good groups around both his low and high node recommendations, but I loaded twenty-five rounds of the hotter one for velocity.

Now, I'm a decent shooter with a good deal of precision shooting in the military and after on my own. I can shoot sub MOA consistently, and like most others, better on my good days. I can't tell you what my rifle is capable of because it shoots better than I do. I have shot sub half minute groups on those rare days when I'm on my game. It is a McMillian tac with a 24" barrel. I don't have my log book with me, but it has a little over 2,200 logged round through it. I have been shooting factory ammo also during the time I have been doing my workups and there has been no drop in accuracy. It's not the shooter or the rifle. That being said, I am not a competition or a bench shooter, and I'm not good enough to be. I'm looking for ammo that is as good or a little better than Federal GMM, cheaper that GMM, and since I have been stockpiling components, more available to me than GMM. I'm not doing neck turning and such to get bench rest accuracy because that's not my intended purpose, and I couldn't utilize that level of accuracy even if I could reload that well.

My load is Sierra 175gr Mk, LC brass once fired through my rifle only, 43gr of 4064, Federal match primers, neck sized, and bullet seated with a Forester Ultra seating die.

I was getting a little less than MOA at three hundred for my first ladder and about the same at four for my second. Not great groups, but when this happens I tend to blame myself as having an off day or out of practice. I picked the best load, and loaded up twenty five rounds for my first trip to my home range for a full shooting session. I shot my first group at 850. Nothing. I thought I had really screwed up my wind call so I shot a second group and again, nothing. I then shot a decent group with factory ammo to test my rifle. When I went to check the last group I notice two holes in the bottom and middle of my target board I hadn't noticed the first two times I checked, both perfect keyholes. Now, I was using a 8x4' political sign as my target backer. This was a three foot group of two keyholes!

No impact no idea on where I should go from here. I've researched, read, asked, and haven't been able to put what I've learned into practice.

All that I can offer is perceived recoil was lighter on my loads than the GMM ammo I used to check my rifle.

Where do I go from here?
    What twist is your barrel? 1:11 maybe even 1:10 is really what you need with that bullet and range

Chronograph those loads and plug them into a ballistic calculator. My suspicion is that your velocities are low and your bullets are going subsonic and are not stable.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Edit, sorry didn't see that it wasn't making keyholes at 400 but at 850, I would still drop the grain down to the 160ish range. But thats just my preference. I take it that it wasn't doing it with the factory ammo at 850? Then I would also say its running outa power and destabilizing if your twist rate is good for that heavy a bullet.
    Last edited by texasgunhand; 07-29-15 at 14:02.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    TAC308's are 1:10... I'd pull a bullet and check the charge to confirm you're throwing a consistent charge... Other issue might be that the bullets aren't seating concentrically... Might also want to chamber a round and eject it to make sure nothing funky is happening.

Feedback Score
    I think my twist is 1:10. It was actually a gift from my dad when I graduated sniper school. He's passed away and I know the paperwork used to be in his office but I can't seem to locate it. However, it doesn't have any problem stabalizing Federal 175's.

I thought about the bullet going subsonic, but with that much powder should that be a concern at 850? I know a chronograph would help, but I don't have one.

IraqVet, when I chamber a round and eject, what should I be looking for?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by texasgunhand View Post
    Edit, sorry didn't see that it wasn't making keyholes at 400 but at 850, I would still drop the grain down to the 160ish range. But thats just my preference. I take it that it wasn't doing it with the factory ammo at 850? Then I would also say its running outa power and destabilizing if your twist rate is good for that heavy a bullet.
    But

the heavier bullet is the way to go at the longer ranges

the 168 match king is a great performer up to 600 yrs. In fact that it what it was designed for. but it has a reputation for doing exactly what you are seeing at the longer ranges and subsonic velocities

Feedback Score
    I actually started out using the 168's in the Federal loadings. I had better accuracy at shorter distances than the 175's, but I was getting better groups with the 175's at farther ranges. I guess it was just bucking wind better.

Maybe I am going subsonic and need to increase my charge weight to stay supersonic, but that will throw out my data from my ladder tests. I'm not at max load and I'm not showing pressure signs, so I have room for more velocity. So, what's the scientific way to get my true long range load since I have tried the ladder work ups and failed?

Feedback Score
    So, what's the scientific way to get my true long range load since I have tried the ladder work ups and failed?

300 Win Mag?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I think my twist is 1:10. It was actually a gift from my dad when I graduated sniper school. He's passed away and I know the paperwork used to be in his office but I can't seem to locate it. However, it doesn't have any problem stabalizing Federal 175's.

I thought about the bullet going subsonic, but with that much powder should that be a concern at 850? I know a chronograph would help, but I don't have one.

IraqVet, when I chamber a round and eject, what should I be looking for?
    Setback. Measure the OAL before and after, if its the same that can be ruled out.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast