Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do CZ P-09's have the same broken slide stop issues that the 75b/SP-01's have?

Feedback Score

Do CZ P-09's have the same broken slide stop issues that the 75b/SP-01's have?

Every time I see this come up, it is always on the steel frame pistols. Do the polymers have this issue? I am looking for a new duty weapon, and I want as much reliability as possible. I'd rather carry the SP-01, but I do have concerns on this topic.

before it comes up:

Yes, I know it is rare. I have never had an issue with my 75B, and I have quite a few rounds through it.
    Yes, I have heard you can put lighter springs in... but I don't want to change any factory internals on a duty gun, for liability issues.
    Yes, I have heard that if you slingshot the slide instead of using the slide stop as a release, it won't break the slide stop. I question this, though.
    Yes, I know Mike Pannone has 20k rounds through his P-07.

If you have any personal or anecdotal experience on this topic, I would greatly appreciate the info.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I've not heard of it happening on the P-07/-09. The -07/-09 do use a stronger recoil spring (20 lbs) than the straight 75s, but the main difference is probably the slide stop impacting polymer (having some flex) in the -07/-09 rather than steel.

Feedback Score
    Isn't it still impacting steel, since the slide is steel?

Feedback Score
    I was thinking of where it engages the slide, now I realize you were probably referring to where it extends/pins through the frame. Disregard my question.
    Yes, I can see where that would flex and absorb some impact, that makes sense.
    Last edited by philo_beddoe12; 01-12-17 at 11:16.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I know it's rare but the slide stop on my CZ-75B broke during firing, locked up the gun completely. Emailed CZ-USA and they sent me a new one without any trouble.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKFAN View Post
    I know it's rare but the slide stop on my CZ-75B broke during firing, locked up the gun completely. Emailed CZ-USA and they sent me a new one without any trouble.
    Glad they took care of it, but that could have been a disaster in a defensive situation.

Feedback Score
    Absolutely, and that is my biggest concern here. I know that on some of these stories, people didn't know it had broken until it failed to lock back on an empty mag because it continued to fire normally... that kind of failure I can deal with. It's stories like the one above with a complete lock-up that are pushing me away from the SP-01.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I don't think it is an 'issue' in the non-polymer guns. From reading CZ forums for decades, the WAY above average user has 20-30K in before they see issues with the SS. MANY have gone well above that. Most gun gamers carry a spare SS as it is a cheap part. DO people stress out over Beretta locking blocks? Are they cheap? Do they generally last 20K plus rounds?

Because it HAS happened to a few people, it gets lots of press on the www.

Feedback Score
    I get that, and I believe that it is accurate that excessive round counts are to blame most of the time. I did just see two weeks ago on reddit/r/czfirearms a guy posting pics who had a slide stop break on a factory SP-01 with less than 1500 rounds through it. That is what I am afraid of. I'm not a competitive shooter. For a duty pistol, there may not be ample opportunity to change out a spare.

Can I ask though, in your reading the CZ forums, do you recall this issue coming up with the polymers? When I am searching through them, I only seem to see the 75's.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    This has been circulating on the internet for over a decade. How many M&P slides have cracked? How many Glock trigger return springs have broken? If the CZ slide release was a real issue CZ custom or CGW would have come out with an aftermarket part like Apex has and made a ton of money. Either way the P07/09 are different designs than the all steel guns. I have not read about slide stops breaking on those. David

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast