Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Most reliable/consistant QD suppressor mount?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Red falcon View Post
    Thanks for the helpful responses guys. The YHM and SF SOCOM look like the most promising so far. Do some of you run a can for a whole carbine course without issue, or does the carbon buildup prevent you from getting it off after a certain round count? From what I've read guys are using Fireclean on the mounting system to prevent the suppressors from seizing, are there any other useful methods? I think my main concern is the can staying on without having to check on it, and second to that, being able to remove it easily without having to make a big ordeal out of it.
    I agree with PatrioticDisorder in that KAC, SF, and SilencerCo are making the most bomb and future proof suppressors on the market. YHM, Griffin, Rugged, and DeadAir may have some nice products, but they are either too new or simply not up to par when compared to what is being made by these big three. I would avoid AAC like the plague until they demonstrate a new commitment to customer service - preferably with someone else's money.

The Saker Trifecta MAAD mount is theoretically one of the most secure QD mounts one the market. Unfortunately, it is also the only one of the major players that is prone to stick. I've not heard or seen this issue with the Saker ASR or other Saker MAAD mounts. I'm also not aware of SF or KAC having this issue with any product. Thus, I'd go with the Saker ASR MAAD, or the Specwar or newer Omega which both use a standard ASR mount if I was going to get a SilencerCo suppressor. Don't worry about the ASR, it is a very solid mount with a shit-ton of users between all those Specwar, Omega, and Saker ASR MAAD users out there.

If you are heavily invested in SF muzzle devices, then their SOCOM 2 line is rumored to by stronger, quieter, and less blowback than the current SOCOM RC line. In addition, they announced it at SHOT with an estimated Q2 release, so it should be released any day now...correction...it's SF that we are talking about - any decade now.

Finally, KAC QDC may be a great choice IF you already have a bunch of KAC muzzle devices AND you do not need to cross calibers as their cans are caliber specific due to the muzzle devices.
    Last edited by Sensei; 08-03-15 at 19:06.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Perhaps, although I'd say the the KAC may have some bragging rights. I think that it all depends on how you define reliable and consistent. For example, a SEAL Team suspended use of the SOCOM series and went back to KAC after several cans flew the coop. Rumors abound as to whether it was operator error vs. hardware. Others will note that the SF has less POI shift. Some will say that the Saker has the best one-handed lock-up; others will say that it's prone to sticking. The bottom line is that several brands including SilencerCo, Surefire, and KAC make a product that could be described as the most consistent or reliable.
    While the NT4 isn't the most quietest can, unfair due to older technology in comparison to recent baffle designs, it is built like a tank. And if you thought the rotational play - "wobble", was bad on the 51T mounts the NT4 is worst off. The QDC has a better mount as far as I could tell, though I haven't had a chance to see it first hand yet.

There's a reason why Surefire engraves "Push" on the latch.

I can't find the original post or article, but from what I recall, it was a training issue. Operators used to their NT4 tried and true workhorses, thought the SF mechanism operated like the KAC QD design, where you rotate the ring and lift up on the gate for release, and thought it was the same manual of arms - attempted to pry up on the latch to disengage the teeth oppose to pushing down.

Quote Originally Posted by Red falcon View Post
    Thanks for the helpful responses guys. The YHM and SF SOCOM look like the most promising so far. Do some of you run a can for a whole carbine course without issue, or does the carbon buildup prevent you from getting it off after a certain round count? From what I've read guys are using Fireclean on the mounting system to prevent the suppressors from seizing, are there any other useful methods? I think my main concern is the can staying on without having to check on it, and second to that, being able to remove it easily without having to make a big ordeal out of it.
    In general I haven't had an issue with a stuck suppressor in carbine/precision rifle classes, but definitely had malfunctions if the action isn't properly lubed. The blow back from the residual gases trapped in the suppressor work there way backwards through the chamber and foul the bolt. The amount will vary, not just by round count, but barrel length and ammunition too, I find that Wolf/cheap plinking ammo fouls more than say FGMM or hand loads, and SBRs tend to foul more than rifle lengths. In one class I actually purposely ran dry, sprayed the BCG down with brake cleaner, ran it until I had a stoppage, and made note of it in my data book. I had and seen other folks have stuck cans after prolong full auto fire/select fire if they didn't remove it while it was still hot. There was only one time I can recall my Surefire sticking, but not in a class, at one of our regular NFA shoots. I had my Surefire 7.62RC mounted on an MK18 clone for majority of the day, and at the end we wrapped up with some precision shooting, so I removed it and mounted it on a 7.62 OBR, where afterward I had some difficulty breaking her loose. The lock latch rotated freely just fine, but the carbon fouling from shooting sub caliber first stacked up the tolerances that caused the can to seize temporarily, had to play tug-a-war with one my buddies that the rifle while I held the can. So now I know if I ever do run sub calibers to take a brush to the end and clean it up some.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Yew...youtu.be&t=130
    I know Sig Sauer is new to the suppressor market, but the muzzle device mount design is very interesting.
    It separates the timing of the brake/comp from the torque spec of the mount itself. Pretty neat.
    Last edited by Benito; 08-05-15 at 14:55.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Benito View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Yew...youtu.be&t=130
    I know Sig Sauer is new to the suppressor market, but the muzzle device mount design is very interesting.
    It removes the separates the timing of the brake/comp from the torque spec of the mount itself. Pretty neat.
    No matter how impressive Sig suppressors may seem or who they've hired to head their suppressor arm, there is no friggen way that I'm going to beta test one of their products. Been there; done that; ain't go'en back.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12