Thread: New to the scene - from NJ

Feedback Score

New to the scene - from NJ

Hello everyone! I am new to the whole scene of firearms and shooting. My neighbor, who lived in PA for a while, lives back here next door and took me shooting for my first time at the Brick Armory right before they closed. So I've only shot his 3 handguns so far, a Ruger 22/45, Smith and Wesson M&P9c and a Springfield XD45. Since then I have (recently) acquired my FID card and applied for a permit to purchase a hand gun, which could take 4+ months to be approved. For a handgun I want to shoot and decide between a Ruger SR22 or Smith and Wesson M&P22 Compact (American made). In the meantime I have been debating picking up my first rifle, and as much as I would like a Ruger SR22 rifle or SW M&P 15-22, they are very expensive for what they are, so I'm probably going to end up with a Ruger 10/22 and I'll just customize it from there to my liking.

I live near the shore (northern Ocean County), and am excited to read up and learn as much as I can. I'm the kind of person who researches everything extensively before I make any purchases, so I tend to be more of a lurker until I have an idea of what I'm talking about, so for a while I'll just be browsing around

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Why can't everyone that's new to shooting have this attitude? Great way to start and move forward.

I will mention that the purpose of the M&P 15/22 is so one can learn, or maintain, muscle memory of the AR platform. Not that there is anything wrong with a 10/22, but the motor skills will be different. If you plan on an AR in the future, I'd spring for the M&P.

Welcome to the forum.

ETA- Geez, I didn't realize someone bumped a 9 month old intro **cough , chiefkeff, cough**.
    Last edited by Leaveammoforme; 02-20-16 at 01:39.

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Check out the Ruger 10/22 Talo edition M1 Carbine. Definitely on my want list.

Edit: old thread. Damn it.
    Last edited by masakari; 02-21-16 at 20:41.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaveammoforme View Post
    Why can't everyone that's new to shooting have this attitude? Great way to start and move forward.

I will mention that the purpose of the M&P 15/22 is so one can learn, or maintain, muscle memory of the AR platform. Not that there is anything wrong with a 10/22, but the motor skills will be different. If you plan on an AR in the future, I'd spring for the M&P.

Welcome to the forum.

ETA- Geez, I didn't realize someone bumped a 9 month old intro **cough , chiefkeff, cough**.
    haha, no worries about the old bump, I honestly forgot about these forums until the e-mail came through that a new post was made to my thread! So thank you!

Thanks for the information as well!

I have since received my first two permits, and went through them quicker than I thought I would, haha. So I am the owner of both a Ruger SR22 and a Colt Government Model (5" 8 rd.) 1911 .45. My brother has also gotten into the sport and picked up a Henry Lever Action .22.

I am still looking to get into a rifle and am most likely going to either end up saving up for a S&W M&P 15-22, or grab a used Ruger 10/22 from a friend of mine who is looking to off-load one or two of his in his collection.

Thanks for the reminder about these forums though, I'll be sure to browse around a bit!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by masakari View Post
    Check out the Ruger 10/22 Talo edition M1 Carbine. Definitely on my rant list.

Edit: old thread. Damn it.
    Hmm, I hadn't heard of this model of the 10/22 before, I'll definitely check it out, thanks!

Feedback Score
    Welcome Diablo2424...
    Glad to have a new shooter... Lots of good info here...

chiefkeff Guest
    welcome, you have alot to see and learn, there an archive of info here so feel free to feast on it.