Thread: best sbr forward directing muzzle device

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

best sbr forward directing muzzle device

I have a 10inch 5.56 sbr with a BCM A2 style birdcage and the concussion when I shoot it is enough to hurt my teeth. I am looking for a muzzle device to eliminate the majority of this concussion. It is a light rifle build so far and because of this I would like to avoid the 3" long pig.

Does anyone have any experience with the GA QD blast shield or could recommend another device similar to this? I am leaning towards the GA one but don't want to leave out any other good options out there that I haven't found. Also read that the forward directing muzzle devices increase felt recoil, is this true?
    Last edited by stx.dead.I; 07-30-15 at 21:12.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    One of our Covert Comps will take care of that blast.

At 2.5 oz, it's pretty close in weight to an A2 flash hider.

Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    One of our Covert Comps will take care of that blast.

At 2.5 oz, it's pretty close in weight to an A2 flash hider.

is that just a screw on? how well does it manage muzzle rise?

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    " how well does it manage muzzle rise?"

You need to decide what you want. Direct bast forward or muzzle control.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wait....there isn't a muzzle device that does it all?

With the popularity in SBR/AR Pistols lately, there are some legitimate options out there other than the KX3-5. The Spikes Barking Spider, Ferfrans CRD, Griffin QD Blast Shield to name but a few. From the videos I have seen, the Griffin looks pretty sweet and works effectively. I also like the fact that it's modular and can be swapped out easily with the QD to other hosts.
    Last edited by Toecheese; 07-31-15 at 08:12.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toecheese View Post
    Wait....there isn't a muzzle device that does it all?

With the popularity in SBR/AR Pistols lately, there are some legitimate options out there other than the KX3-5. The Spikes Barking Spider, Ferfrans CRD, Griffin QD Blast Shield to name but a few. From the videos I have seen, the Griffin looks pretty sweet and works effectively. I also like the fact that it's modular and can be swapped out easily with the QD to other hosts.
    Aren't you defeating the purpose of an SBR when you hang a 3+ inch 6 ounce pretty much useless chunk of iron on the end of it??

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Aren't you defeating the purpose of an SBR when you hang a 3+ inch 6 ounce pretty much useless chunk of iron on the end of it??

Why don't you enlighten us on the purpose of an SBR, because I'm sure it's the same for everyone (insert hyperbole). I for one, wouldn't want to be standing next to someone in a CQB situation without some kind of side blast concussion mitigator. The OP wanted to know what works, and the empirical data surrounding the Griffin QD Blast Shield. If you are of the belief that devices such as these offer nothing in regards to sending an AR's blast down range, and that these said devices aren't a good trade off vs length/weight etc., then I don't know what to tell you. Watch these videos, and decide for yourself. I don't have a dog in the fight and what's more, I don't run any of these afore mentioned muzzle devices on my rifles, but I am doing a lot of research for my next build. Perhaps offering something useful in terms of feedback would be more pragmatic, instead of responding with conjecture and inane puns!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Ya I'm curious as to how you would define the purpose of an sbr after reading that statement.

I rock my sbr because when clearing structures the 8" of barrel that's been cut off the end allows me to easily flow through doorways and suck into rooms while keeping lethality downrange.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I know it's not a favorite of a couple people but I use the flaming pig with great results. I have looked at some others like the griffin armament but I really like the pig on my mk18. It's not completely forward directing but I have another 10" build with the smith vortex on it and it works very well too.

-BTO-
    -BTO-