Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there an emergency medical app?

Feedback Score
    I really see a app like that as being a serious time waster. When you have real critical issues, time is of an essence, the last thing that I need to see at the bottom of a page is "Also see XXX"

Real medical training needs to be an ongoing thing that has increasing difficulty, not just feel good training. Even on the very basic end the training needs to be ongoing and with varying levels of difficulty and problems. Trusting an app to get you the timely information that you need to save a life in extremis is potentially negligent.
    On the flip side, using an app as a reference after things are stabilized , or stabilizing is a good thing to help jog memory to improve the situation or to help find the zebras that hide out there.

Apps will never replace good quality training.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    As a source of information, why not.

But if your first move after "help I've been shot in the chest" is seeing what the Red Cross app has to say about it.... God help you

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LSMurphy View Post
    Well, if any such app is created that it can be beneficial but at some point if it fails or work in improper way then it may also cause death rather than saving life.
    This is why education and training is critical for lifesaving skills. Education to learn how not to kill people and training to make procedures brain dead muscle memory. The "I can cut your throat open and shove a cric tube in your throttle without looking away from my chow" kind of training. I cannot express how ****ed the people are who buy a blowout kit and toss it in their glovebox next to the gun they never train with... Might as well spend that money on a good will and some running shoes.

Yeah, its possible to self-educate to a degree, but without team-mates and a good instructor that feeds you scenarios that make you think and push your skills, a tourniquet or israeli bandage just a decoration. There's a difference between feel-good training for that "Yay! I did it!" feeling and put your ass through a wringer because that's how real emergencies and conflict works training that makes you go "Wow, I'm alive, and so is the guy next to me".
    Last edited by Joelski; 11-28-15 at 10:50.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I think liability will ensure this app never exists

Feedback Score
    We use laminated 8x10 cards in the operating room. These cards have the typical algorithms that we follow for common emergencies. So called "cognitive cues" have been shown to be beneficial even for expert level teams. In my experience, in high stress situations, even top level providers can make mistakes, any tool that has been shown to increase effectiveness should be considered (IMHO).

Feedback Score
    Though these medical app can save time and reduce healthcare cost but some disadvantages can also arise like the your records and information may be insecure and yes if the app does not work properly, it can cause serious problem.

Feedback Score

Is there an emergency medical app?

Terrible idea. Time waster. If you need an app to treat a trauma patient, you shouldn't be treating them. That kinda stuff needs to be second nature. No substitute for proper, continuous medical training. It's a perishable skill just like anything else, that's why EMS professionals recert every 2 years. That said, I do have an app that I use in the field but only for pedi vitals and medication dosages
    Last edited by skylineracer329; 05-19-16 at 02:15.
    wwww.facebook.com.com/LibertyDefenseConcepts
    IG: @Liberty_Defense_Concepts
    libertydefenseconcepts.wordpress.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12