Thread: Bushmaster buffer pic

Feedback Score

Bushmaster buffer pic

I thought I would start a new thread so everyone who was interested in my first thread would be able to see the condition I was trying to convey.

I find it interesting that the damage seems to match the retaining pin. When closing the upper it pushes the buffer back but only ever so slight, however I could detect no difference when comparing this aspect to my LMT. My LMT buffer does not have this kind of damage, it is begining to show a slight wear pattern similar to the wear shown in the first thread of the Colt's buffer. Just a quick guess on round counts, Bushmaster -1000rds, LMT - 400.

I tend to agree with Grant, my best guess is the BM is using a cheaper/softer material in the buffers (say it isn't so)

Feedback Score
    never heard of a catastrophic buffer failure.....so i say shoot it, and dont sweat it.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    But I can tell you about a BM buffer that lost the roll pin that holds the rubber "buffer" in place during shooting which caused the weapon to malfunction and go tits up. I guess that would be catastrophic depending on your activity and geographical location.

Quote Originally Posted by ARin View Post
    never heard of a catastrophic buffer failure.....so i say shoot it, and dont sweat it.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Hmmm?

On a separate issue, it could be me, but looking at the photo, it looks the lip of the receiver extension is not holding the retaining pin down.

It looks to me like the the buffer is resting directly against the retaining pin and holding it in place instead of the receiver extension lip -- and THAT is NOT good juju.

The receiver extension should be tightened one full turn so the lip actually holds the retaining pin in place, even when the buffer is removed.

The marks on the buffer face from the retaining are not a big deal, and tightening the receiver extension could solve that problem for you...
    Battle Comp Enterprises, LLC
    World Class Tactical Compensators
    California Legal Compensators
    100% American Made
    www.battlecomp.com
    sales@battlecomp.com
    (650) 678-0778

1 Samuel 17:49 / Romans 13: 1-4 / Isaiah 6:8 / Psalms 144:1 / Matthew 12:30

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PRGGodfather View Post
    On a separate issue, it could be me, but looking at the photo, it looks the lip of the receiver extension is not holding the retaining pin down.

It looks to me like the the buffer is resting directly against the retaining pin and holding it in place instead of the receiver extension lip -- and THAT is NOT good juju.

The receiver extension should be tightened one full turn so the lip actually holds the retaining pin in place, even when the buffer is removed.

The marks on the buffer face from the retaining are not a big deal, and tightening the receiver extension could solve that problem for you...

True. In the old days before companies started making the lip of the receiver extension actually longer than the top, sometimes you would have to file the top 2/3rds of the the receiver extension down so that the upper would close on the lower and still have the buffer retainer held properly by the receiver extension.

Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    But I can tell you about a BM buffer that lost the roll pin that holds the rubber "buffer" in place during shooting which caused the weapon to malfunction and go tits up. I guess that would be catastrophic depending on your activity and geographical location.

Iraqguns I have had/seen the roll pins in buffers move too. I now stake them in. If the pins too long I shorten it and then stake it in. I've thought of using an epoxy to keep in it but actually haven't tried it just yet.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PRGGodfather View Post

Thanks for the observation, I will check it out and correct.

Yeah, I'm not too worried. Although I have some and am going to aquire more spares I have decided to shoot the BM to failure before replacing any parts. I've staked the gas key already and am not worried much about anything else. I am begining to see more of the faults that BM has become so famous for. I just hope they don't screw up the ACR with substandard materials and/or quality.

Feedback Score
    That is normal wear. There is a burr on the rear of your bolt carrier near the retaining pin cutout.