Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newb advice for smoking cigars

Feedback Score
    33 (97%)

Newb advice for smoking cigars

I have a co worker who enjoys smoking cigars and today I decided to smoke my first one. I went to the tobacco shop and bought an ACID 1400cc robusto just off of the guys advice. I got home and smoked it and while I did enjoy the taste of the wrapper on my lips I did not enjoy the smoke. I smoked it while drinking a light IPA and I noticed it somewhat enhanced my buzz.

What advice can you give me to enjoy my next cigar? What should I go with? My guess is something with a smaller ring, this one was a 50 and it seem a bit difficult to get smoke out of it.

I am not planning on making this a routine, just something to enjoy and relax a bit more on occasion.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Start small, it's cheaper until you find what you like. Go to a good tobacconist and have them put together a sampler. Don't worry if you don't find something, it isn't for everyone.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Smoke it slowly, don't overheat it.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Dont inhale the smoke

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    " it seem a bit difficult to get smoke out of it"

Did you cut or punch it? Maybe you just got a tight one. Do what Kyohte said.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by black22rifle View Post
    ACID 1400cc robusto
    YUCK. Acid's have to be one of the nastiest most over rated cigars in the world.

My advice would be get something like a Fuente Short Story to start out with. Its quite a small cigar, but its also one of the better cigars overall on the market.

Also the Padron #000 series is pretty good. They are numbered like 3000, 4000, etc....

I always suggest heading over to a forum called Puff.com and reading up on things.

Here is their big list of cigars for newbies to work through.
    http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/genera...b-starter.html

Eventually you will figure out what area you like. I like strong cigars, big flavors, big nicotine. Lots of people cant handle or dont want that type of cigar.

As far as not having a good draw, could have been the cut, could have been the cigar. I always cut(only about the thickness of the cutter) and take a dry hit(not lit) to see if it draws the way I want. If I need, I cut a slight bit more. There are tools you can use to basically shove through the cigar to create a channel for smoke to flow if you get a cigar that was rolled too tightly.
    Last edited by rjacobs; 07-31-15 at 08:45.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I agree, acids are not good.

A robust is probably too strong/robust for a newb also- try some medium and milds. Hell I still enjoy the mild to medium spectrum the most as the robustos have a tendency to overwhelm my palette and I can't enjoy the whole cigar.

Arturo Fuente and Romeo E Julieta have some very very good medium/mild offerings.

Do as khyote said and find a good tabacconist to set you up with a mix pack.

If you like good scotch, rum, cognac, bourbon, brandy, port or tequila have the cigar with that. Dip the mouth side of the Gar in the liquor it's fantastic.
    We interrupt this programme to bring you an important news bulletin: the suspect in the Happy Times All-Girl Glee Club slaying has fled the scene and has managed to elude the police. He is armed and dangerous, and has been spotted in the West Side area, armed with a meat cleaver in one hand and his genitals in the other...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by THCDDM4 View Post
    I agree, acids are not good.

A robust is probably too strong/robust for a newb also- try some medium and milds. Hell I still enjoy the mild to medium spectrum the most as the robustos have a tendency to overwhelm my palette and I can't enjoy the whole cigar.
    A robusto is a vitola or size/shape of the cigar. has absolutely nothing to do with the strength of the tobacco.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rjacobs; 07-31-15 at 09:15.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    YUCK. Acid's have to be one of the nastiest most over rated cigars in the world.

My advice would be get something like a Fuente Short Story to start out with. Its quite a small cigar, but its also one of the better cigars overall on the market.

Also the Padron #000 series is pretty good. They are numbered like 3000, 4000, etc....

I always suggest heading over to a forum called Puff.com and reading up on things.

Here is their big list of cigars for newbies to work through.
    http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/genera...b-starter.html

Eventually you will figure out what area you like. I like strong cigars, big flavors, big nicotine. Lots of people cant handle or dont want that type of cigar.

As far as not having a good draw, could have been the cut, could have been the cigar. I always cut(only about the thickness of the cutter) and take a dry hit(not lit) to see if it draws the way I want. If I need, I cut a slight bit more. There are tools you can use to basically shove through the cigar to create a channel for smoke to flow if you get a cigar that was rolled too tightly.

This man speaketh the truth and makes a couple of excellent recommendations. I can't stand Acids either but I am sure there are plenty of people that do like them but they are not for me.

Check out puff.com or botl.org(brother of the leaf), you can learn a ton there. Remember, cigars are not cigarettes so smoke them slow and do not inhale.
    Whiskey

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    A robusto is a vitola or size/shape of the cigar. has absolutely nothing to do with the strength of the tobacco.
    Shows how much I know about cigars... Not all that much.

Always thought that was the flavor profile- robusto. Thanks for the correction.

I only know a little and its that I like mild-medium flavor profile cigars, Arturo Fuentes are my favorite. Honey moon was in Dominicana and I smoked more in that 2 weeks than I have the rest of my life I think!
    We interrupt this programme to bring you an important news bulletin: the suspect in the Happy Times All-Girl Glee Club slaying has fled the scene and has managed to elude the police. He is armed and dangerous, and has been spotted in the West Side area, armed with a meat cleaver in one hand and his genitals in the other...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast