Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newb advice for smoking cigars

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by THCDDM4 View Post
    Shows how much I know about cigars... Not all that much.

Always thought that was the flavor profile- robusto. Thanks for the correction.

I only know a little and its that I like mild-medium flavor profile cigars, Arturo Fuentes are my favorite. Honey moon was in Dominicana and I smoked more in that 2 weeks than I have the rest of my life I think!
    everybody starts somewhere. There are, as evidence by the picture I posted, a ton of different shapes. I prefer figurado's AKA torpedo's, perfecto's and presidente vitola's. Not sure why. If there are 4 or 5 different vitola's(shapes) available in a given cigar, I will always go to the figurado shape. Im not so focused on size although a 46-52 gauge is about where I like to be. Ive got some 60's, they are big, but manageable. Ive got an 80, its ****ing huge and requires 5 punches of the cap. Havent smoked it yet, its kinda a novelty, although it gets really good reviews. Smaller than 44 or so to me feels real small. Ive got a box of Camacho SLR Corona that are 44's and they feel REAL small to me.

Strength is all in the tobacco's. Corojo and ligero tobacco's tend to be much more stout and full of nicotine. The LFD(la flor dominica) double and triple ligero's are considered some of the strongest cigars on the market as far as nicotine goes. Lighter strength tobaco's are the Connecticut stuff.

Lots of reading on the web about this stuff, but with cigars you just have to get out and try a bunch of things. Thats why that list(or couple of lists) from Puff.com is a good place to start because it kind of subjects you to different tobacco types, countries, vitola's, etc... so you can learn what you like and what you dont like.

Always when smoking cigars keep some sugary item around: candy, kool aid, root beer, etc... If you start to get the nicotine buzz to strong get some sugar in you. Also dont smoke cigars on an empty stomach(due to a side affect of an empty stomach being low blood sugar). Cherry kool aid and root beer funny enough go great with cigars.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mr. rjacobs hit on excellent advise.

I'll add that different brands call their offerings similar names (Churchill, robusto, and etc.) but will have different ring size/length. It isn't as standard as one may think. More of a guide now it seems.

I'll also suggest you get a sampler package of quality brands (like from Thompson's for instance) and then you'll have an opportunity to see what you like. Much like booze, there are flavors galore out there and you simply have to try them to find what you like.

Also the tool (cigar poker/draw poker) used to basically ream a hole down the center of a cigar when it is rolled too tightly is a useful tool to obtain proper draw. Usually, you'll never have that issue with quality name brand cigars. Get different cutters as well, the cut can affect draw, heat and flavor of each cigar. Pay attention to how you cut the cigar and how it smokes for you.

Feedback Score
    33 (97%)
    I used a double blade guillotine cutter that the guy gave me and I barely cut past the cap. The head was noticeably tighter than the rest of the cigar.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Here is one more thing to help out you folks that may be trying things out, liking them, and deciding "hey, I need a humidor".

Build a coolidor. Skip the cheap wood humidors, they dont work for shit.

Go to Walmart(or wherever coolers are sold). Get you a cooler of a size you think will work for you, buy larger than you think you need. Ive got a 150qt because I buy cigars by the box. It would also double as a cooler for dead bodies in a pinch! Bring your cooler home and stuff it full of newspapers for 2-3 days. This will absorb the plastic smell that the cooler has. Also while at Walmart get a gallon if distilled water and a spray bottle(might have to head to HomoDepot to get the spray bottle).

Head on over to Petsmart and over to the cat litter section. What you are looking for is exquisicat silica UNSCENTED cat litter such as this:
    http://www.petsmart.com/featured-sho...pfm%3Dcategory

Then head on over to the fish filter section and get you some filter bags for 89c.
    http://www.petsmart.com/supplies/fil...t=pfm%3Dsearch

What you have just created is the same thing as a "cigar specific" silica gel bead product that costs ~$30 a pound. You just made 8lbs for ~15 bucks.

I have 2 of the big fish filter bags(about 1 or 1.25lbs a piece) in my 150qt cooler and its plenty. 1 small bag(there are two sizes of the fish filters) will do about 1/2 lb. large bag is about 1lb. 1 large bag per 75qt is about right. So 1 small bag would work up to about 37.5qt or there abouts. Not a problem to have a little to much.

The silica gel cat litter will keep your coolidor at right around 65% RH. Mine has been setup for almost 5 years and it sits rock solid at 65%. Want to know WHY the cat litter holds 65%? Because engineers figured out that the smell of cat piss is held in if you can keep it around 65% RH. Kinda gross, but it works for our purposes.

The other thing you will want is a digital Hygrometer thats adjustable. Lots of these on the market around ~25 bucks. I have the Hygroset. Xikar makes one. Probably a few others. You will want to salt calibrate it before throwing it in your humidor. Take a clean dry milk jug lid, fill it with salt, put some of your distilled water on it(wet the salt, but dont drown it, just saturated) then take that lid plus your hygrometer and put it in a zip lock bag. After at least 24 hours if not 48 hours your hygrometer should read 70%. IF it doesnt, adjust it. Mine has a knob and each click is 1%. Mine has sat rock solid after its initial adjustment for almost 5 years, even through a battery change. I test it yearly.

I watch mine and typically in the summer spray distilled water on the bag/s once a month(air is more humid generally) and in the winter I have to spray water typically weekly.

Thats about a 2 year old picture of my setup.

Feedback Score
    If you smoke enough fine, hand rolled cigars you will happen upon one the roller has rolled too tightly and generally you may as well throw it away. Very few cigars that were rolled too tight can be saved, even if you core them out. Throwing away a cigar is a painful exercise unless you are in the shop I used to go to. There, if you got a cigar with an impossibly difficult draw (while in the shop) the owner would advise you to go into the humidor and just get another without charge.

I favored the Padron Maduro 3000, a variety of different Rocky Patels, and I could go on...

Can't smoke anymore and I sometimes dream of smoking a great cigar. I sure miss it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think Mr. Abraham and I would get along quite well.

I, too, am a fan of the Padron 3000 Maduro (and 4000) and have a small supply on hand. I just got a box of the RP anniversary edition maduros.

Quote Originally Posted by Abraham View Post
    If you smoke enough fine, hand rolled cigars you will happen upon one the roller has rolled too tightly and generally you may as well throw it away. Very few cigars that were rolled too tight can be saved, even if you core them out. Throwing away a cigar is a painful exercise unless you are in the shop I used to go to. There, if you got a cigar with an impossibly difficult draw (while in the shop) the owner would advise you to go into the humidor and just get another without charge.

I favored the Padron Maduro 3000, a variety of different Rocky Patels, and I could go on...

Can't smoke anymore and I sometimes dream of smoking a great cigar. I sure miss it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I enjoy everything by the Fuente Family. However if you're turned off by the aftertaste, or the bite towards the end of the cigar I would recommend trying a pipe and some various flavors of pipe tobacco. I enjoy both cigars and a good pipe, but it depends on my mood at the time.
    A work in progress, check epitaph for results.

Si Succiderit, De Genu Pugnat

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    OP, ring/gauge size is personal preference and IMHO I'd start off with something with a Connecticut wrapper.

Some suggestions C.A.O. Gold, Macanudo Café, etc.

For a cutter, you can't beat a punch. Give a nice smooth round hole in which to draw from. No jagged edges.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Pipes are something to try if you do not like cigars. If you like that you can try the MUWAT kentucky fire cured cigar. Tastes like a good english pipe tobacco.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyohte View Post
    Pipes are something to try if you do not like cigars. If you like that you can try the MUWAT kentucky fire cured cigar. Tastes like a good english pipe tobacco.
    You are the second person I have had recommend one of these Kentucky Fire Cured cigars. Think I need to try one.

Spectre is another pipe tobacco cigar. Litakia. I have a box and have smoked 3 I think. Pretty good. My buddy had one with some bourbon and said it was awesome.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast