Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Older DD or Newer 6720

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by w3453l View Post
    I'm not going to ask you how much either of the two rifles are priced at, but have you considered just buying a brand new rifle?

I'm not trying to come off ignorant of the question you posted, but today's prices on AR's are probably the best they'll be for a long time.

For example, a brand new Colt 6920 or 6720 will be ~$800(?); I may be off a little.

It's hard to imagine a far cheaper price than that, and with a new gun you have piece of mind that if something goes wrong you still have warranty. A gun that was tweaked with, or used always has that bit of uncertainty.

There was a thread here a while back where someone was considering buying/trading what appeared to be a very lightly used SR-15. Upon closer inspection it turned out someone somewhere replaced some critical parts with heavily worn out ones.
    True, a stock 6720 at G&R is ~$800, but then there's tax, shipping, FFL, background check and upgrading to a FF rail. PLUS, I try to buy w/o paperwork whenever I can. The owners of both of these guns are well known to me and there is no dime store smithing / parts swappage here.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Can you arrange to shoot both of the guns? if so, then buy whichever one you like better after shooting them.

Or just buy both...

Feedback Score
    I've shot both. Very slight edge to FD. Not a noob. Looking for

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Just buy one. Thread over.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have heard people saying Colt QC is slipping. However whenever Ive investigated the claims they were either talking about that Colt branded cheapo rifle (Seriously Colt?) or were just Colt haters who couldnt produce any real evidence. Colt rifles still get inspected by third party QC personnel.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    I have heard people saying Colt QC is slipping. However whenever Ive investigated the claims they were either talking about that Colt branded cheapo rifle (Seriously Colt?) or were just Colt haters who couldnt produce any real evidence. Colt rifles still get inspected by third party QC personnel.
    Thanks, this is the kind of info I come to M4C for. I also found another thread in which Iraqgunz indicates that early Daniel Defense guns with the Savannah roll mark are not the equal of the recent offerings. no specifics, no specifics were given because that o p suggested going private.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    How do you figure Colt is closer to spec? The commercial rifles are not built on the same machines as the government rifles. The machining centers Colt uses are probably 40 years old! I'll take DD QC over Colt any day of the week! Colt cannot compete. That's why they are where they are at today.
    False, on all accounts. Colt's factories, like most reputable manufacturers, are regularly updated. There are numerous sources out there for this type of thing, but ill suggest a piece entitled "Behind the scenes at Colt" published by guns and ammo in 2012. In said article you will see numerous pictures of raw forgings, bolt carriers on lathes, finished rifles, discussions on various pieces of equipment etc. Colt's civilian guns are built in the same fashion as their military guns. A civilian Colt 6921 upper, for example, is a military M4 carbine upper. The two are analogous.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    There have been reports of over-gassing on all DD barrel lengths.

Do your own research.
    Or you could back-up your statement.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hapworth View Post
    Or you could back-up your statement.
    Or you could stop being lazy.

There have been lots reports of over-gassing with DD.

I really don't care either way.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    I'd go with the Colt and here's why:

At that time, DD was just starting out. It's kind of like buying a new-model year car; you want the bugs worked for a year or so first. Daniel Defense now is absolutely good to go, and I'd say in the top tier with Colt, BCM, Noveske, etc. If it was a new DD vs an old colt, I would go with new DD; I own a DD MK12, and it's the most quality rifle I've over owned, for whatever that's worth, but I haven't owned any of the other brands (I did own a BCM ELWF but didn't actually shoot it, sold it befroe I shot it).
    Last edited by XD40Colorado; 08-02-15 at 19:49.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast