Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Who here prefers a Revolver over a semi-auto?

Feedback Score
    I carry revolvers,i also carry Semi Auto's,i do like carrying revolvers better than semi auto's,I have nothing against semi auto's revolvers are just my preference.

Feedback Score
    Kind of self evident, but it always makes sense to carry what you find yourself most proficient with, and you will be proficient with what you train on the most.

For myself, lately, that has been wheelguns - specifically a bog standard SP101 3-inch IWB. I get most of my time behind the trigger doing shooting sports, and gravitated towards wheelguns because I find them more satisfying in competition use - and a positive side effect is the reasonable excuse for slower stage times. When it comes to autos versus revolvers, you're poking at a hundred year argument that has a pretty clear winner in terms of advantages. However, the truism that you should shoot what you carry and carry what you shoot is a pretty solid one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Who here prefers a Revolver over a semi-auto, as a general purpose sidearm? I've long considers revolvers. But in the age of the reliable semi-auto's what does a revolver really offer?
    I prefer the revolver, for a number of reasons.

1) Manipulation. No safety, no magazine, no problem.

2) Accuracy. The barrel on a revolver never moves, making the revolver more inherently accurate than the selfloader.

3) Ammunition. The revolver is much more forgiving of inconsistent ammunition, as it is not reloaded by the recoil impulse. And revolvers easily handle calibers much heavier than automatics; anyone who cannot see the superiority of a 255gr 45 Colt at 800-900 fps to any 9mm or 40 S&W should either study physics or be referred for psychological screening.

4) Ergonomics. Many automatics are difficult to impossible to shoot with one hand, and never mind those of us with small hands. The most naturally pointing handgun yet invented is the Colt SAA.

(Will be forced to retire next year, and the Colt 22 AR will be up for sale shortly thereafter)

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
    GySgt Thomas Sullivan
    SSgt David Wyatt
    Sgt Carson Holmquist
    LS2(SW) Randall Smith
    LCPL Squire "Skip" Wells

"These men are NOT victims."
    -CO, M/3/14, August 2015

Always Chattanooga Strong.

Feedback Score
    I one many of both styles and carried a revolver in an LE capacity and also used one for competition many years ago. Having said that, I can shoot either style just as easily as the other. Pick whichever one up that's handy and I am totally confident in my abilities. All my early training in the military was on the revolver right at the time we were transitioning to the M9 Beretta.

If one reloads, the revolver has it's benefits. I hate picking up brass and when shooting my revolvers I have them in hand without having to bend over and pick it up. The other plus to a revolver, as many have already mentioned, is for hunting. I have several .44 magnums and a FA .454 that are my go to hunting handguns. Not many auto loaders can compete in the energy category with a revolver.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've pondered this question, and decided that the answer is "it depends." While it's not quite the same thing, from my perspective this is akin to whether one prefers a shotgun to a rifle.

In the top drawer of my dresser there is a 642 and a Glock 26. Which one I grab before heading out the door depends on where I'm going and what I'm wearing.

There is no doubt that a modern semiauto is a more capable weapon than a small revolver, but I still think the S&W J-frame (and the Airweight in particular) is without peer when ease of carry is a factor.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Frailer View Post
    I've pondered this question, and decided that the answer is "it depends." While it's not quite the same thing, from my perspective this is akin to whether one prefers a shotgun to a rifle.

In the top drawer of my dresser there is a 642 and a Glock 26. Which one I grab before heading out the door depends on where I'm going and what I'm wearing.

There is no doubt that a modern semiauto is a more capable weapon than a small revolver, but I still think the S&W J-frame (and the Airweight in particular) is without peer when ease of carry is a factor.
    Couldn't have said it better. My J-frame gets as much use as all of my autos combined come summer time.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    Depends what wearing. I carry a g19 or a 442 snubby depending. Both equally reliable in my mind.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I'm in the "it depends" camp. For me, the great advantage of all my revolvers is their lack of ammunition sensitivity. I can put together loads from very light to very heavy, with just about any bullet weight or bullet profile, unlike loading for a semi-auto where ammunition must be matched to the operating characteristics of the gun.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    -1 for "it depends". Revolver has a lot going for it still. I've never had a failure to go into battery or stovepipe. They don't care what brand hollow points you use. Sights mounted on frame and barrel are the handgun equivalent of an A2 upper with FSB; slide mounted sights are like having a front sight mounted on a rail. Revolvers are much nicer for dry-fire practice than striker guns and 1911's are. Good flinch detectors, as previously said. A hammerless .327Fed could be the ultimate pocket gun. The gun I miss most is my stainless Redhawk .45Colt with 4" barrel. I could shoot cowboy ammo one day and go over 1000fps/250gr the next. Hell, I could put both in the same cylinder, if I wanted too.
    I also love my Uberti SAA knockoff.

Semi's are better for cops, Soldiers, and my nightstand, though.

Feedback Score
    i like revolvers for the car. keep them loaded....always ready to go.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast