Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Who here prefers a Revolver over a semi-auto?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by soulezoo View Post
    Believe me, Buffalo Bore IS a magnum version.

BB loads in 10mm are double the energy of 9 or 45. Double. And more than .357 mag is capable of. Some 10mm loads are 900 ftlbs.

I love Elmer. But he didn’t test 10mm. So his observations at this point are obsolescent.
    I'm familiar with buffalo bore. Elmer was the sort of man who would put hot sauce on a ghost pepper if his blown up revolvers are to be believed and he did champion the creation of the .44 magnum despite the availability of .44 special and .357 magnum. Interestingly enough Buffalo Bore also offers a .44 Spc Keith load.

On the 900fps 10mm, I'd point you to the BB 10 mm heavy load 220grs solid hard cast lead at 1,200 fps with 703 fps of energy, pretty hot stuff. But that bullet design looks familiar, and solid hard cast lead with a flat nose isn't new tech. That said I wouldn't want to get hit with it.

I suspect we could go round and round on this topic till the sun dies. I'll cede that there are some semi auto loads out there are good for animals.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cd228 View Post
    I'm familiar with buffalo bore. Elmer was the sort of man who would put hot sauce on a ghost pepper if his blown up revolvers are to be believed and he did champion the creation of the .44 magnum despite the availability of .44 special and .357 magnum. Interestingly enough Buffalo Bore also offers a .44 Spc Keith load.

On the 900fps 10mm, I'd point you to the BB 10 mm heavy load 220grs solid hard cast lead at 1,200 fps with 703 fps of energy, pretty hot stuff. But that bullet design looks familiar, and solid hard cast lead with a flat nose isn't new tech. That said I wouldn't want to get hit with it.

I suspect we could go round and round on this topic till the sun dies. I'll cede that there are some semi auto loads out there are good for animals.
    I didn't post "900fps" (feet per second). That was 900 foot pounds.

My pet load is 180 gr. Gold Dot over Blue Dot powder for 1385 fps.

Feedback Score
    I didn't post "900fps" (feet per second). That was 900 foot pounds.

My pet load is 180 gr. Gold Dot over Blue Dot powder for 1385 fps.
    I apologize, I misread you. Please post a link to that 900 foot pound 10mm ammo. I've never laid eyes on it. What's the chamber pressure and what are you shooting it out of? That's frankly kind of scary. I just ran it into an on line calculator and it can back with a 180 grain bullet at 1500 fps to make 900 foot pounds. Now I am interested.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm sorry. I don't have that link readily available. But it was a chart of loads posted on a 10mm website.

I am getting those results from a G20 with 6" storm lake barrel.

Feedback Score
    I'm sorry. I don't have that link readily available. But it was a chart of loads posted on a 10mm website.

I am getting those results from a G20 with 6" storm lake barrel.
    Ok, I just went through the Hodgon annual and I didn't find anything listed that hot, I'll surf the web and find it. On my calculator your load came in at an impressive 766 ft/lbs, which puts it up there with BB .357 ammo and beats the BB .44 special Keith load.

Feedback Score
    Does RBCD ammo pushing a 77 grain round at 2400 fps ring a bell? That's the only thing I'm finding close.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    No, IIRC, it was a 135 gr. load

Feedback Score
    No, IIRC, it was a 135 gr. load
    Underwood's 135 grain 1600 fps out of a longer barrel?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don’t think so. This wasn’t a factory load. It was a hand load. Again, it was on a chart, at one of the 10mm forums.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I generally carry a 1911 or G19 but have carried both for duty. I would feel comfortable now with a S&W 2-4" K/L frame. No Rugers especially the hybrid steel tupperware monstrosity. Had a 642 for a spell but it was just plain abusive to shoot. Looking for a cheap 65 now to chop to 3" add a lamped front dovetail sight and butcher a Novak style rear sight opened up a tad so I can see them a la S&W Pro. If I tried another J frame, it would be all steel.

I carry alot of large bore single actions in the woods up here but would not feel comfortable packing them in a dedicated SD role in an urban environ.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast