Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Who here prefers a Revolver over a semi-auto?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraham View Post
    I have Ruger SP101 spurless and I like it, but for EDC, my choice is a Glock 19, with a spare magazine.
    Me too, love my 3" SP101...bobbed the hammer right off and loved it ever since. Of late, Im considering trading it in on a small J frame, Id carry that lot more than the SP101. My new G19 is now my primary carry...the Jframe would be a back up loaded with +P Gold Dots.
    Thoughts on the trade?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I prefer to look and gawk at revolvers, however I can not shoot them and they feel terrible in my hand. I envy those that can shoot them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ostdarva View Post
    First off I will not shop at a liberal store
    Secondly,
    I will not shop at a store that is named after genitalia.

Feedback Score
    I am probably going back to revolvers. I have a S&W 642 I currently carry quite often (either as primary or back up). I am thinking about sending it out to be cut for moon clips. The one pistol I have regret selling was a S&W model 66 with 2.5 inch barrel. It was easy to conceal (for me) and utterly reliable and super accurate. If I can find a model 66 or 19 with 2.5 or 3 inch barrel, I will buy it and send it to Mr. Smith for some upgrades. I am also really thinking about getting a S&W Performance Center 686 Plus.....I like the idea of moon clips.

Feedback Score
    I only CCW 2 pistols currently. A G26, and a S&W 442. I *can* pocket carry either, depending on what clothes I am wearing. The 442 can be tossed in the pocket of ANYTHING I wear, but the G26 not always.

Sometimes the G26 is in a IWB holster because it is not pocket-able. If pocket-able, it goes in an aholster pocket holster. It is bulkier / harder to pocket carry than the 442.

If carrying the S&W, it gets tossed in my pocket in an uncle mikes cheapo pocket holster. Picture the frequent scenario of just getting home from work and going on a neighborhood walk with the wife and kid. I have to get going fast before sunset, and depending on what I am wearing, holstering/belting up time of the G26 is weighted vs simply tossing the 442 in my pocket.

At the range, I am equally accurate and comfortable with both pistols. Rapid fire accuracy goes to the G26. Power goes to the G26 (with +p ammo in the 442, and Ranger +P+ in the G26). Capacity obviously is doubled +1 in the G26. Once I took first place with the G26 at a local IDPA club match, out of 20 shooters. I was pretty happy about that!

Maybe the new G43 will change my MO when I get one, but for now both guns serve a purpose well.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    That is my thinking on the issue. People who are either (1) new carriers who are excited about the fact that they can carry a super powerful weapons with lots of flexibility or (2) a professional trainer who carries all the time because guns are their whole world underestimate the value and flexibility of a gun that is safe and reliable that can just be dropped in the pocket and basically forgotten.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I carry K frame Smiths for several reasons.
    I shoot them better with my non-dominant hand than I do autos.
    I can carry two at the same time easily.
    Commonality of caliber and type - as the married woman I live with carries K frames.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Carried wheel guns a lot over the years (I couldn't carry my LW commander because--regs). A couple of years ago I went to a Gen 4 G19, which has been a good gun. A couple of malfunctions in 1500 rounds, shooter induced. Yesterday I had the Glock out, and inadvertently loaded it with some hand loads that my BHP runs fine on, but are a bit oversize for the Glock's chamber. The issue has been solved by a "U" undersize Lee sizing die, but I wound up with a couple hundred rounds that the Glock doesn't like. The third round up left the slide about 1/8" out of battery, and well and truly locked up. Normal attempts at clearing didn't work--so out came the old reliable Swiss knife and screwdriver blade. I was able to get it in between the slide and the barrel hood and open the gun up. With difficulty. For about ten minutes I didn't have a working pistol, and no BUG either.

Now in my former life as an instructor and all that stuff, I did see a few wheelguns go down. But after we loc-tited all the ejector rods and got people to keep crud from under the extractor stars, I can only recall one malfunction for cause--a thumb piece on a Ruger Six tied up the gun (a staked screw came unstaked).

While I was cussing the Glock (and myself) I couldn't help but think of the old Model 10 Smith back home that just runs like a Timex. Just a stupid old cop gun with 50% finish that ALWAYS goes bang.

Feedback Score
    I own one revolver a Ruger Security six converted to a Cougar. I love this revolver and will never sell it.

But I would carry in the woods a Glock 21 converted to .460 Roland. For self defense it will be a Glock 17 or if I don't want to carry a pistol a P7 dropped in my pocket.

Feedback Score
    I'm a revolver man at heart. I spent years working on my DA revolver technique, and am almost as quick with followup shots using a revolver as with a semi-auto. For self-defense though, I now leave them at home. Primarily, the limited capacity bothers me, I am left-handed, and am just a touch slower than some of the more talented RH revolver shooters in reloading. I feel my reloading technique requires too much manipulation, and every motion I make takes time, and is an opportunity for something to go wrong. I am capable of putting however many shots are available where I want them to be, but the potential reloading issue nags at me. This offsets the fact that I'm more comfortable with my revolvers than with my semi-autos. Fortunately, the DA revolver skill set will help you immensely with any handgun, and I have gravitated to striker-fired semi-autos, which are really comfortable for me. There is a tired old saying used by some revolver shooters about high-cap semi-auto shooters must be planning on missing a lot. This is utter self aggrandizing nonsense of course. Most semi-auto shooters can shoot as well as most revolver shooters, and if only five shots (or less) are needed on the street, then only five shots (or less) should be fired. All potential situations are not necessarily going to end after just a few shots, there is no time limit or round count on the streets, and shooting games are just that. Games. I find being able to carry as much ammo as comfort dictates well... comforting. I normally carry a couple of extra mags, myself. YMMV. Carrying an extra 30 rounds of good quality 9mm ammo, ready to use, in magazines makes sense to me. Plus 15 rounds in the gun of course. The most important thing is to carry what you're comfortable with, and practice a lot with. If it's revolvers, more power to you, I hope it always works out for you. It just made less, and less sense to me as time went by, and I now accept that carrying revolvers was, for me, a romantic action, and not a practical solution. Stay safe out there guys.

The Old Guy
    “Detached Reflection Cannot Be Demanded in the Presence of an Uplifted Knife” ~ Brown v. United States (1921)

Feedback Score
    While I have a few autos my favorite pistols are a 3rd generation Colt SAA with a 5 1/2" barrel in .44 special for woods bumming, a S&W J frame .357 for pocket carry, and when the weather is cool enough for a cover garment, a Brazilian Contract S&W 1917. Those wheel guns will get the job done for all but a total breakdown of society or war. Then I'll break out the 1911A1 or the Hi-power MK III.
    Paranoia is more than a personality trait, it's a survival skill.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast