Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Magpul MOE SL Mid length handguard

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    This is disappointing.

I feel like BCM is the most prolific mid-length around, and both of mine with FSB use the triangle cap.

I wanted one for my Kino

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    This is disappointing.

I feel like BCM is the most prolific mid-length around, and both of mine with FSB use the triangle cap.

I wanted one for my Kino
    I'd be willing to bet PSA has a stronger hold on the mid-length market. I don't know if they use round end caps, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were a factor in Magpul's decision to go round or triangular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inebriated View Post
    Yeah, the SL is such a massive improvement over the original, it's hard to explain if someone hasn't held them. I had the Carbine SL on a rifle for awhile, and it's about as perfect as I think a drop-in polymer handguard could be. Don't be afraid to post up a quick review of the B5, I don't see much mention of it at all, and was wondering if it's a decent handguard.
    Yeah, I agree. It's got all the features I want, is slimmer, and is an improvement in every way. I'm bummed about not being able to use it.

I kinda expect to be disappointed by the B5 on a comparative basis to the SL, but we'll see. The wife just NEEDS something smaller in diameter than the original MOE handguards. She can't pool cue the original MOE against a barrier... Just too big.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inebriated View Post
    I'd be willing to bet PSA has a stronger hold on the mid-length market. I don't know if they use round end caps, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were a factor in Magpul's decision to go round or triangular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I had a PSA 14.7" mid a while back. It had a triangle handguard cap as well. That was bought back in early 2012.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Does it look like there's a way to mod the handguard to fit triangle caps?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thats really disappointing. I was under the impression that triangle end caps were the correct one to be used on a mid-length system. What companies are using round ones ?
    "I pity thou, fools who dost not choose BCM" - King Arthur 517 A.D.

.OlllllllO.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    This link from the TOS has the reasons Magpul decided to use the round handguard end cap with the middy SL handguards. Page 4 and 5. It is what it is. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_124/2...ndguards_.html
    Last edited by Biggy; 08-02-15 at 11:08.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    Does it look like there's a way to mod the handguard to fit triangle caps?
    I guess it's possible, but I'd worry more about having it "fit", but be just as loose as the original MOE.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    This link from the TOS has the reasons Magpul decided to use the round handguard end cap with the middy SL handguards. Page 4 and 5. It is what it is. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_124/2...ndguards_.html
    Biggy, thank you for posting that. You're right, it is what it is.

EDIT: having read the entire thread and Magpul's response, there will be no triangle handguard version. They have made a wager that i hope pays off for them. They decided to make the SL mold in a fashion that excludes triangle handguards for the midlength version. I doubt they'll have that luxury with the rifle length version, as I've never seen a round handguard cap on a rifle length gas gun.

It is what it is, as Magpul has chosen to not accommodate the triangle handguard in their mold. That's life. But, it makes it difficult for me to understand how a "drop-in" part can still require punching off a taper pinned FSB to replace a handguard cap. That's not drop-in, in my book. Still, it's a superior handguard to the original MOE and I do wish it would have fit my wife's upper. Sh*t happens. Time to deal.

I'll update here on my basic impressions of the B5 Systems keymod handguard when they arrive. Ordered from SKD Tac. $36 shipped.
    Last edited by BufordTJustice; 08-02-15 at 12:22.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    I ended up ordering the B5 Systems keymod handguard. I would have preferred the MOE SL, but the B5 works with the triangle handguard cap. MOE SL is up on the EE with all my IWC accessories. Somebody is going to get a solid deal on that. Oh well.
    Here is a B5 Keymod on a BCM upper I put together last week. The bottom corners of the triangle stick out.

POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast