Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best "long term" adjustable gas block?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Thanks for the info guys.

I know there are many folks with experience using adjustable gas blocks but I'm just looking for objective information such as "I have xxx number of suppressed rounds through it and I adjust the setting every xx rounds after switching to u suppressed use" etc etc
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Thanks for the info guys.

I know there are many folks with experience using adjustable gas blocks but I'm just looking for objective information such as "I have xxx number of suppressed rounds through it and I adjust the setting every xx rounds after switching to u suppressed use" etc etc
    I just adjusted the Sentry 7 in the barrel I sold within the last 100 rounds i fired through it. Well over a thousand unsuppressed rounds (mostly federal xm193, with a few hundred rounds of tula 55gr) before the last adjustment before that.

No issues changing gas settings. It was a little sticky on the first movement, but by the second notch, it was normal. This was with the std temp leaf spring, not the newer high temp black spring.

That's all I got. Lol.
    Last edited by BufordTJustice; 08-02-15 at 21:24.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've been using an SLR on my 10.5 Wolf Pup. I don't know how many rounds I've got through it, but it's several hundred and it's not babied. No suppressor. I've never had the adjuster seize up and it always turns without undue effort, but I do occasionally hit the leaf spring and set screw with a little Frog Lube. It works good enough with a standard carrier and works even better with an LMT enhanced carrier. There is carbon fouling around the gas block which is evidence the gas block leaks a little through the three slots of the set screw and from around the leaf spring. However, I can't say the leakage has ever affected reliability
    Last edited by MistWolf; 08-02-15 at 21:44.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    This picture is after about 180 rounds. The recently improved adjustment screw has very little leakage. This is actually the std spring. I bought mine a week prior to the black spring release. SLR sent me a free black spring anyway.

Last edited by BufordTJustice; 08-02-15 at 22:22.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I have a BCM 11.5" that I'd like to put an adjustable gas block on. The rifle just gets too "gassy" for my liking when suppressed. It has a LW barrel so a .625" gas block is needed.

I've heard many good things about Syrac. My main criteria is durability. I don't want to have to remove the rail and clean it every 500 rounds. That's like one day of shooting. I'd prefer to never have to clean it. Ease of adjustment and price are distant secondary criteria.

What works?
    Are you wanting to adjust gas up and down or do you really just want a smaller fixed gas port?

Those are two different but related things.

Markm used our CustomTune Gas Ports with good success on his 11.5" upper that had a huge gas port.

These thread into your existing gas block or FSB and are available in a variety of sizes.

The .070" is great for normal / mixed use and .060" for dedicated suppressed use.

Once installed, there are no moving parts and there is nothing that needs maintenance or cleaning, just like an original factory gas port.
    Last edited by Clint; 08-02-15 at 22:45.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Again, thanks for all of the info guys.

I previously owned a dedicated suppressed AR. It was a 16" carbine cut to 10.3" without gas port work. Unfortunately it would not function unsuppressed. I do not want to go down that road again and that is the reason I bought the 11.5" BCM in the first place.

I want adjustability, but I'll settle on a fixed product if I can just get this gas out of my face. This never used to bother me because my shooting was done outdoors while moving and around a breeze but due to my hectic schedule lately I've had to do some gun fun indoors and it is downright painful to shoot more than a few rounds suppressed

The goal is to stop the gas, and have the rifle remain functional unsuppressed and suppressed. Whether that is done by an AGB or a method of stopping the gas from seeping out of the upper and into my eyes is irrelevant to me. Reliability is paramount, however.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 08-03-15 at 09:30.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I think Syrac and SLR Rifleworks especially, would both be up for the task. SLRs design has got to be the most robust out right now.

My BCM 11.5" has a .076" gas-port.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Eurodriver, I suggest you combine the adjustable gas block with the LMT enhanced carrier. Tested back to back in 10.5 inch upper, my initial findings are that the LMT Enhanced Carrier allows for finer tuning and operates with less gas than a standard carrier
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'm not convinced that choking down the gas port flow, by whatever means, will reduce gassiness. I don't have a wide sample to draw from. But it seems I can still remember a certain amount of gas.. even when tuned to dedicated suppressed levels.

A certain amount of gas will still flow out of the chamber and ejection port. If you ever pull the bolt/bolt group on a recently fired suppressed barrel, you'll notice that you can't even see down the bore because of the thick, nasty gas lingering in the barrel.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    If that's true, then what is the best way to eliminate the gas that gets in your eyes when firing suppressed? Aside from the normal "It doesn't bother me", "suck it up", "don't be a pussy", etc?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast