Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best "long term" adjustable gas block?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    If that's true, then what is the best way to eliminate the gas that gets in your eyes when firing suppressed? Aside from the normal "It doesn't bother me", "suck it up", "don't be a pussy", etc?
    LMT e-carrier, Vltor A5H4 buffer, Sprinco Green spring, and whatever gas settings work with that combo.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I did this mod while waiting for the suppressor, so I cannot speak to shooting suppressed without it.

Cheap and easy, might as well give it a shot.

http://www.03designgroup.com/technot...harging-handle

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    This post is useless.
    Can the attitude slick. You asked what works and I told you, SLR's.
    Insulting someone who was trying to help instead of simply ignoring the post belittles yourself not me.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I'm not convinced that choking down the gas port flow, by whatever means, will reduce gassiness. I don't have a wide sample to draw from. But it seems I can still remember a certain amount of gas.. even when tuned to dedicated suppressed levels.

A certain amount of gas will still flow out of the chamber and ejection port. If you ever pull the bolt/bolt group on a recently fired suppressed barrel, you'll notice that you can't even see down the bore because of the thick, nasty gas lingering in the barrel.
    It may not help compared to an AR properly ported to run suppressed, but it's much better than running a suppressed AR that's over gassed. And if the LMT carrier will run on less gas and opens the bolt even a fraction of a second later, the shooter can take full advantage of an adjustable gas block
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    My observations over the years seems to indicate that the when using different cans is that the amount of gas drive to the action system and blowback of fouling in different cans are not the same. Cans can produce many different attributes besides sound quality. Some cans blowback more without needing as much in a change in action system weight to maintain the balance of operation. I would tend towards looking at a sound suppression systems with a lower degree of lower pressure fouling coming back, given the same or similar span of operation. That is as long as it doesn't hamper the duration or span in function of a particular setup.
    The lower pressure blowback can't be eliminated with current technology, but there are some things that can be done to reduce that in the commercial market.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post

I couldn't dream up a bad thing to say about Syrac AGB's if I tried, but SLR has been working great for me.
    I can. I put a Syrac Gen II .750 on a 11.5" barrel with a .073 gas port. After approximately 200 rounds through the gun with a 556-SD suppressor I noticed that the detent screw was spinning freely. I attempted to apply solvent to the threads and vent port but this did no good. At that point I attempted to contact Syrac customer service through their website but was ignored. This was only the most recent episode of Syrac ignoring my attempts to obtain customer service. They seem from my experience to have a bad habit of not picking up the phone or answering emails, which is an unfortunate outlier in the current market. I took the block off the barrel and tried to clean it, but this was futile. At that point I felt I had to diagnose the problem myself. I knocked the pin out of the port and found that the spring was fused in place with caked fouling. I was able to remove the spring after a soak in some solvent and scraped the fouling loose, but was unable to recover the detent. I carefully backed the screw out, but still could not recover the detent. I really do not understand what could have happened to it because I certainly was not being Cavalier when I backed out the screw. Perhaps it was lost in the caked fouling? This is basically irrelevant, though, because I would never trust this device again after such a troubling premature failure.

I replaced it with a SLR Sentry, which so far has worked as advertised and in my opinion should be much less prone to this kind of failure given the design. SLR even replied to my email within an hour when I asked a question.

This experience has left me with a $100 paper weight. Caveat Emptor.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by calvin118 View Post
    I can. I put a Syrac Gen II .750 on a 11.5" barrel with a .073 gas port. After approximately 200 rounds through the gun with a 556-SD suppressor I noticed that the detent screw was spinning freely. I attempted to apply solvent to the threads and vent port but this did no good. At that point I attempted to contact Syrac customer service through their website but was ignored. This was only the most recent episode of Syrac ignoring my attempts to obtain customer service. They seem from my experience to have a bad habit of not picking up the phone or answering emails, which is an unfortunate outlier in the current market. I took the block off the barrel and tried to clean it, but this was futile. At that point I felt I had to diagnose the problem myself. I knocked the pin out of the port and found that the spring was fused in place with caked fouling. I was able to remove the spring after a soak in some solvent and scraped the fouling loose, but was unable to recover the detent. I carefully backed the screw out, but still could not recover the detent. I really do not understand what could have happened to it because I certainly was not being Cavalier when I backed out the screw. Perhaps it was lost in the caked fouling? This is basically irrelevant, though, because I would never trust this device again after such a troubling premature failure.

I replaced it with a SLR Sentry, which so far has worked as advertised and in my opinion should be much less prone to this kind of failure given the design. SLR even replied to my email within an hour when I asked a question.

This experience has left me with a $100 paper weight. Caveat Emptor.
    I cannot say enough good about SLR's customer service. I had a gunsmith mangle a Sentry during a refinishing job and SLR went above and beyond to replace components at no cost even though it had nothing to do with them. They even payed the shipping.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I think SLR and Syrac are good companies with good cs, but I had failures with adjustable blocks from both. I'll try to post more later but IMHO screw adjusters just aren't the right design for reliability. These products serve a certain market and purpose but personally I wouldn't rely on them if reliability is a priority for the gun.

Feedback Score
    Syrac. Best damn CS.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by krichbaum View Post
    I think SLR and Syrac are good companies with good cs, but I had failures with adjustable blocks from both. I'll try to post more later but IMHO screw adjusters just aren't the right design for reliability. These products serve a certain market and purpose but personally I wouldn't rely on them if reliability is a priority for the gun.
    Failed?

How can a Syrac gas block fail?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast