Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thumbs down to dpms g2

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A good friend wanted me to build him a .308 but never having screwed with one I finally convinced him to get an Armalite. Don't regret that decision and it has been flawless so far. Good luck with whatever you pick.

Feedback Score
    When did they outsource returns and CS?

I'll have to look into that some more.

Feedback Score
    I have the original DPMS LR308 with the 24" bull barrel. I like it for what I got it for. I still say you get what you pay for but I have never had a single problem with it, knock on wood. at the time I purchased it I didn't have the money for a better one but I really wanted to get my foot in the "SAPR" door. it shoots great for a $950 semi-auto rifle. mine likes the 168s the best. I don't reload for it and I would say I average a 1.25-1.5" group at 100.

If I could do it again I would get the RRA. its not that much more and its "a little" better. still on the bottom of the spectrum though.
    know The Basics At A Superbowl Level. (I Think Larry Vickers Said That...)

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by U&A View Post
    I have the original DPMS LR308 with the 24" bull barrel. I like it for what I got it for. I still say you get what you pay for but I have never had a single problem with it, knock on wood. at the time I purchased it I didn't have the money for a better one but I really wanted to get my foot in the "SAPR" door. it shoots great for a $950 semi-auto rifle. mine likes the 168s the best. I don't reload for it and I would say I average a 1.25-1.5" group at 100.

If I could do it again I would get the RRA. its not that much more and its "a little" better. still on the bottom of the spectrum though.
    I have an LR-308B, just the 18" barrel version of the original large DPMS .308. It's decent. Some break-in or teething issues that seem to have passed. Very accurate, but also very large and heavy, and that DPMS quality impression.

Anyway, I've owned the RRA and wouldn't consider it an upgrade. To get it to work with FAL mags they made the receiver even longer than a DPMS, by about 1", and the bolt, carrier and firing pin are also similarly longer. It's just ridiculously long and unwieldy for a .308 Win rifle. The idea of using FAL mags probably made sense back in the late 90's or whenever it was being designed (and passed back and forth between RRA and Windham, Maine Bushmaster from what I understand) but is so far beyond obsolete in 2015 it's a joke.

It costs major bucks to get a quality .308, but having owned three of the lower priced models (S&W also), I really think it's an area to go for quality or skip it entirely. I wish I had waited and bought an LMT, despite its high price. The upcoming DD option sounds interesting, and I would love to see BCM offer something, but it's not an area where low prices get you quality.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    I have an LR-308B, just the 18" barrel version of the original large DPMS .308. It's decent. Some break-in or teething issues that seem to have passed. Very accurate, but also very large and heavy, and that DPMS quality impression.

Anyway, I've owned the RRA and wouldn't consider it an upgrade. To get it to work with FAL mags they made the receiver even longer than a DPMS, by about 1", and the bolt, carrier and firing pin are also similarly longer. It's just ridiculously long and unwieldy for a .308 Win rifle. The idea of using FAL mags probably made sense back in the late 90's or whenever it was being designed (and passed back and forth between RRA and Windham, Maine Bushmaster from what I understand) but is so far beyond obsolete in 2015 it's a joke.

It costs major bucks to get a quality .308, but having owned three of the lower priced models (S&W also), I really think it's an area to go for quality or skip it entirely. I wish I had waited and bought an LMT, despite its high price. The upcoming DD option sounds interesting, and I would love to see BCM offer something, but it's not an area where low prices get you quality.
    thanks for the info on the RRA 308. I forgot about the FAL mag thing with the RRA. in that case i guess it isn't any better. especially with the changes they made to accommodate the mags. I still dot regret my decision as the gun does what I want it to. I just wouldn't waste any time or money making it something that it will never be. slap a decent scope on it, sling, bipod and a drop in trigger.....done.
    know The Basics At A Superbowl Level. (I Think Larry Vickers Said That...)

Feedback Score
    I've been hearing good things on the G 2 Recon. Went to the DPMS site and they only sell a few select G 2 parts. I'm researching a build for a CMMG lower, and the different patterns of 308 parts are a bit off putting. I had a DPMS LR308 years ago, and it ran fine and shot very well, but I did not run it hard. A couple of my 5.56 guns are built off DPMS lowers, but have few DPMS parts.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    Honestly, you need to look at ArmaLite`s Def 10. It`s their "bargain" AR-10A carbine which uses the SR-25 pattern magazines. Its` MSRP is $999 for forged upper and lower receivers with a chrome lined barrel. I don`t know why people even discuss any DPMS .308 offerings when thinking about getting into .308s. They also sell compatible complete uppers of different configurations on their website.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by arbob View Post
    Honestly, you need to look at ArmaLite`s Def 10. It`s their "bargain" AR-10A carbine which uses the SR-25 pattern magazines. Its` MSRP is $999 for forged upper and lower receivers with a chrome lined barrel. I don`t know why people even discuss any DPMS .308 offerings when thinking about getting into .308s. They also sell compatible complete uppers of different configurations on their website.
    Shhh. Don't tell everyone.

Feedback Score
    Armalite.

Was the first AR type I ever bought. I did a good bit of research, and it was the 308 that was most recommended without a significant price jump. Decent 2 stage trigger, It has been accurate and has never malf'd.

The only issue is the FCG pins like to walk, but that's easily remedied. I think you can get the entry level gun for a grand or so.

Sent from my iPhone

Feedback Score
    I have built quite a few LR-308s with Aero parts and quality barrels, they all shoot great and run well but they are a little heavy. II have seen too many QC issues with DPMS to ever want to give them my money. I have wanted a Colt to complement my 6920s so when I saw a Labor Day sale I jumped on a Colt LE 901-16S. I hate that it is proprietary but I love the rifle. I wish Colt would come out with more variants (keymod, 20in barrel etc) the AR 901 is a good start.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast