Thread: Need ideas for 350+ acres south of Dallas

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)

Need ideas for 350+ acres south of Dallas

Sorry, im new and posted this in the "south central" forum and didn't know there was a Texas forum: So, sorry for double posting:

Hey guys, Long story short:

We have 378 acres right outside of Hamilton Texas, which is about a 2 1/2 hour drive south of Dallas. We have had this property listed and for sale for over 3 years with no offers. The property is not "desirable" by any means, the terrain is pretty flat, a few trees and rough vegetation. The entire property does have a fence and a small house built in 1971 as well as a 13 acre tank and a 27 acre tank and a good size barn that needs a lot of TLC, in fact you need a tetanus shot just for looking at it. The property is not ideal for hunting deer, quail, dove or much of anything at all. We have decided to keep the property but we don't really have a good long term plan. I wanted to reach out and see if anyone possibly had any good ideas that we could use this property for. If you inherited this property free and clear and the taxes were $612/year, what would you do with it?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Build a Long Distance shooting range that I've only had wild fantasies about while dreaming.

Seems like your property was actually built for doing such....i.e. flat land, very little vegetation, pretty much useless for cultivating crops or hunting.

If you build it, I'll come

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Just out of curiosity how much does 378 acres cost outside Hamilton texas? Million? Millions? I see 1960 acres for $9.9M, roughly $5K an acre.

As for uses, "The Ultimate Paintball Stadium" comes to mind.

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ndmiller View Post
    Just out of curiosity how much does 378 acres cost outside Hamilton texas? Million? Millions?
    I wish, we had this listed well below market value and didn't even consider the improvements in the price. Selling for land value only with mineral rights. We listed 3 years ago for $310,000, and we had lowered price to $260,000 when we took it off the market. Like I said, me and my cousin inherited this property from our grand father in 2009. No one in my family wanted it so we raised our hands and said we would take it. The house is a 912 sq./ft. ranch style house with wood siding and the house probably needs to be bulldozed-its livable but not for extended use, a weekend here and a weekend there. We have thought about salvaging the house and bringing it back to life or building a pre fab style log cabin that would be more comfortable and a little bigger. We have also thought about bringing in large amounts of fill dirt and building up the topography of the land especially around the tanks and bringing in some landscaping and planting hundreds of Purple Empress trees and willow hybrids to give the land some definition. My cousin is lobbying for a small vineyard but I don't know anything about. So I was thinking if none of that was feasible or economical, I would consider Motocross type of environment/ obstacle coarse-rope coarse/zip line, possibly a small wakeboard cable park but that would take years to develop.
    Last edited by elephant; 08-06-15 at 19:02.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    .....And cost you a lot for liability insurance as well.

I think a range where people pay an annual fee to become members might work. Make them show a CHL to take care of the background check. If you can get a dozer to to the dirt work, a few berms would not be very difficult.

I would drive out as well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You might consider putting the land in the conservation or agriculture reserve. In these programs, you can receive grants to improve the land. I would see what is available in those lanes.

I do like the idea of a serious shooting range.
    Last edited by 48J; 08-06-15 at 21:29.

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 48J View Post
    You might consider putting the land in the conservation or agriculture reserve. In these programs, you can receive grants to improve the land. I would see what is available in those lanes.
    I have looked into getting a design grant from Ducks Unlimited, they don't offer financial assistance but can offer assistance in planning a master planned wildlife reserve (200 acre minimum). They work with state, local and federal agencies. I think I would be required to have a generous amount of capital set aside for them to take me seriously though. Maybe then I could get a dove or two to fly over

Past the second cattle guard, at the end of the gravel road
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    How do the locals make money off their land?

Copy the best ideas that work in your immediate area. It may be a boring hayfield lease on the best land.

guard your agriculture tax exemption, you need some kind of Ag production income.

Don't plant trees & plants that aren't native to your immediate area, they will be prone to die in a few years.
    "Jill, if there's ever a problem, just walk out on the balcony ... take that double-barrel shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house,.." VP Joe Biden Feb 19, 2013

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ready.Fire.Aim View Post
    How do the locals make money off their land?

Copy the best ideas that work in your immediate area. It may be a boring hayfield lease on the best land.

guard your agriculture tax exemption, you need some kind of Ag production income.

Don't plant trees & plants that aren't native to your immediate area, they will be prone to die in a few years.
    Most locals are non residents who have owned there property for many years- my grand father paid $4,600 in 1970 and built the house himself with his brother in 1971 I think for around $2,000. He originally purchased over 500 acres from the county but in the early 90's he sold a lot of that land to the surrounding neighbors. I am in a weird area, the ranch next to us is beautiful with abundant trees, grass, cattle, old wooden bard painted red and old aero motor windmills. Our ranch looks like a foreclosed run down section 8 housing project compared to it. There is no potential income in the current shape. I don't have the right type of grass for hay. Most of the farmers I have talked to have a list of criteria they need to use the property i don't meet any of that criteria.

Attachment 34526

Attachment 34527

How much would it cost to build a decent quality representation of an 1800s western style town like Tombstone?
    Last edited by elephant; 08-06-15 at 23:39.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    If you need a dozer guy in Hamilton I know one. I am out there almost every other weekend.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston