Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are expensive knives worth it?

Feedback Score
    33 (97%)

Are expensive knives worth it?

The only knifes I have ever owned were a Spiderco Delica 4 and Endura 4 with wave feature. While carrying them I was surprised at how easily they became dull. They were $75 and $82 respectively. They are both made of VG-10 steel but with regular use of cutting cardboard and thick seram wrap they became dull quickly. Am I just expecting them to do more than they can?

When the first knife I bought, the endura 4, became dull I bought a Lansky knife sharpening kit to get it back up to working order. It worked pretty well, but I noticed from usage that the knife has some small dents in the edge. Is this normal? what else am I missing in regards to knife maintenance beside a leather strop?

Would a $300 Emerson kinfe last musch longer without sharpening with my entended usage?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I enjoy expensive knives, but it only took one falling out of my pocket to ensure I never edc anything more than $50.
    Justin

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've carried Emersons pretty consistently for, about ten years, with a SOG thrown in in the middle for a year of so because it was cheap. I started off with a Commander and currently rock a CQC-13. First, if you are cutting a lot of cardboard it will dull out a blade pretty quick, and all knives do require sharpening. No way around it. While I carried my Commander for years without sharpening it(Because I didn't know better), and my SOGs were sharp as hell out of the box, and held their edge well, but even they dulled over time, even more if you are using them a lot, and what denotes a lot of usage can vary from person to person. So honestly I think if you are going to run a knife hard you should expect to need to sharpen it on a regular basis, regardless who made it. That and if you are going to be opening a lot of cardboard a razor knife is probably a better option just since it is easier to swap out a razor then carry a sharpener on you.

Now, all that said, I own Emerson knives, I carry one daily, and only ever once had it exit my pocket without me drawing it, and that was because someone else pulled it from there(There in lies a story behind that), even catching clips on objects and bending the shit out of them(Have replaced several clips over the years, and keep a couple on hand, though I haven't bent one in years), I have never had one fall out of my pocket. Granted, I carry my Emerson on the right side with my wallet so the wallet kind of adds a little extra, I guess you could call it retention.

As far as is an Emerson worth it? For me? Yes, I love the feel and the design and features, and more. Also, if you are paying $300 for an Emerson, you must either want something special, or you are looking at a odd model, since if you shop around a decent Emerson shouldn't run much more than $200 or so. And on the used market you can find them for well under that at times. Hell my CQC-13 was bought for $100, which box, and paperwork and everything.

So, I suppose to answer the question in short, no it is not uncommon for a knife to dull if you use it a lot, and cardboard is considered to be touch on a blade. Would an Emerson last longer? Maybe. Maybe not. Is it worth it? That is for you to decide, but if you want a high(er) end knife, then there are worse reason to buy one.)
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    If you are cutting into a lot of boxes, just use a retractable or folding utility knife. I use my blades, but I try to avoid cutting cardboard with them.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    Learn how to sharpen with whetstones/waterstones. Plenty of info on utube. Then buy yourself a couple with different grits. I use 1000 grit & 3000 grit but there are variations of that depending on the knives and quality of same. First, practice sharpening your cheaper knives until you get the knack of using the stones.

Using cheap sharpeners can ruin your blades and you'll never get them as sharp as you can using stones.
    US NAVY
    1961-1965

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yes, they are worth it if you are into knives. Quality of steels, fit and finish, smooth action. All very nice qualities. Kinda like watches: a Timex is a good watch that tells time, and last for years, but a Rolex is superb time piece. It's quality and it makes a statement. All in what you want to spend and what quality means to you. All that being said, with all my expensive knives, I have some cheap knives I use and like too. But if you appreciate quality, the expensive knives are worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    My daily carry blade is an Emerson Mini CQC-7, but I don't use it to open packages with it. I use the serrated blade on my Multi-plier for that sort of thing.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

I've lost so many knives (especially in uniform) that I'm down to just buying the $10 Gerber Paraframe. I do have a Spartan Blades Enyo that I carry IWB when I'm out in public though. I would like one or two more plus an Emerson or two, but I've never had a problem losing anything like I do knives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score

I've been losing knives since I was old enough to have one.
    I have a couple of nicer knives, but don't carry them. Even though after I carried a Kershaw Leek for a couple years, it still sucked when I lost it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by teksid; 08-09-15 at 07:10.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    "Worth it" is only up to the consumer. Yes they are made with better materials and look and feel better. How much and whether its worth it to you is only up to you.
    They all do the same thing whether they cost $50 or $2000. I own both. I say buy something in the $100-200 range and get a good sharpening system and call it a day.
    "Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day."

Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast