Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Are expensive knives worth it?

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Lots of great points here. Nice DDC Joel.
    "Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thank you, sir!
    Last edited by Joelski; 08-14-15 at 06:23.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RioGrandeGreen View Post
    Guys,

If you need a good ZT knife go to Dvor.com and sign up. They got a great deal on ZT knives going on.

I picked up a 0620 for $140 awhile back and its a tank. I have Emersons, Benchmades but ZT's are awesome.

Stay safe
    RGGreen
    Off topic.
    How is DVOR? I think I have like $40 in store credit there since I signed up and never bought anything and they keep giving me like $5 every year on my birthday.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    Off topic.
    How is DVOR? I think I have like $40 in store credit there since I signed up and never bought anything and they keep giving me like $5 every year on my birthday.
    If you don't know DVOR is a clearance website for optics-planet. A lot of their stuff is 5-15% cheaper then optics-planet because they can't sell it at the normal price so they want to make some kind of money off it - genius to make it seem like a "sale!" type of thing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo_Man View Post
    If you don't know DVOR is a clearance website for optics-planet. A lot of their stuff is 5-15% cheaper then optics-planet because they can't sell it at the normal price so they want to make some kind of money off it - genius to make it seem like a "sale!" type of thing.
    Interesting, I did not know that.
    I'm probably not the demographic that they are selling to though. I have entirely too much self control, unless it is a really good. Have never fallen for the "it's a sale!" line. If the price isn't right, I walk. It is a rare day that I just has to have it NOW! My first BCM upper was that way though, it is why I ended up with a BFH, lol.
    That said, I am now looking more seriously at one of the ZTs that DVOR has on their site.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    My most expensive knife is a Puma Master I bought for $85 back in the 1980's, today it is about $170. I don't often carry it because it doesn't have a pocket clip. My daily carry is a Gerber Airframe.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    Off topic.
    It's alright, shipping is high but there are some good deals. Now if you got $40 credit damn your good! The most I have gotten is $10.

Stay safe and carry
    RGGreen

Feedback Score
    Back before the higher end knives were really de rigueur, I was told that any knife I brought with me on deployment stood at least a chance of being lost and HRM wasn't paying for it's replacement. To this end I went and bought a 420 stainless dagger for 10 bob at one of the head shops local to my station and threw that on my webbing. I had that POS for over twenty two years and never once even lost sight of the bugger. A mate of mine went and bought some disco "commando" knife for 100 quid (not a F-S) and lost it the first time we had to cross a river sans bridge. Poor toss lost two days pay in that bit of current...

-S.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Maple Leaf pilgrim View Post
    Back before the higher end knives were really de rigueur, I was told that any knife I brought with me on deployment stood at least a chance of being lost and HRM wasn't paying for it's replacement. To this end I went and bought a 420 stainless dagger for 10 bob at one of the head shops local to my station and threw that on my webbing. I had that POS for over twenty two years and never once even lost sight of the bugger. A mate of mine went and bought some disco "commando" knife for 100 quid (not a F-S) and lost it the first time we had to cross a river sans bridge. Poor toss lost two days pay in that bit of current...

-S.
    Funny story, Gov'nor!

There are pieces of kit that I can't seem to lose that I want to replace.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    That "point of diminishing returns" issue brought up is pretty much where I've got to with all my stuff.
    Knives, especially for an EDC, pretty much boils down to "is it a good knife" and intended use.
    Now if a couple hundred bucks of knife falls out of my pocket and some walmart mutant gets it I will be blind pissed and crying like a little baby.
    Also, I've had a Gerber Paraframe that has functioned just wonderfully in this role for the last, what has it been, like ten years? And is finally getting replaced due to screws falling out.
    To that end, there will be a baby RAT or two making it's nest in my pocket soon. Best I can tell, excellent knife, stupid cheap. If I lose one or bust it, I'll be upset to be sure, but then I'll have another around somewhere, so...it won't be so bad.

Now, I tend to differ a little between an EDC "go to town" knife and a "serious use" knife or fixed blade.
    If I needed a folder deploying to [insert favorite dunghill here] or the end of the world, I would grab a BM or ZT and never think twice.
    Fixed blades are outdoor/survival/bush/SHTF knives and need to hold up to that use so... no el-cheapo specials there, BUT.... since there's apparently nothing wrong with a*well priced* knife that just so happens to have a decent quality pedigree.... I've got an ESEE, even thought I'd rather have a cooler and perhaps slightly better knife. Point of diminishing returns and all that.
    YMMV
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456