Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are expensive knives worth it?

Feedback Score
    I'm too practical to buy a very expensive EDC knife. Most of my carry knives or working knives run the gamut of cost from $20.00 to a max of $45.00

Kitchen knives are a whole nuther matter.

I do buy pricey kitchen knives as their excellence is much appreciated by my wife, plus I benefit by her cooking.

Yes, knives that retain an edge are often brutal to sharpen.

I like the Havalon for skinning hogs and deer. Their blades are replaceable. No muss, no fuss when they get dull cuz you simply replace them.

Feedback Score
    I must be luck because I haven't lost an expensive knife yet. I've been carrying an Emerson CQC7 for years.

The blade get crazy sharp and holds an edge much better than a typical store bought knife like a Gerber. I believe Emerson uses CM154 to make the blade. It's quite a bit better than the typical 440.

Feedback Score
    77 (100%)
    Emersons are "tactical" knives built with hard use and ease of sharpening in mind.

Cool knives, but not going to do any better for the OPs task.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thin blades will seem to hold an edge longer. Look for a kershaw chill, it's overall thinness will pretty much disappear in your pocket. cheap and big enough to do any regular day to day task. It's even cheap enough to learn how to sharpen with.
    http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-3410-C...=Kershaw+chill

Or if you want something bigger that holds a good edge, the Ontario rat would be my second suggestion
    http://www.amazon.com/Ontario-8848-F...=Kershaw+chill

Feedback Score
    33 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jstalford View Post
    Emersons are "tactical" knives built with hard use and ease of sharpening in mind.

Cool knives, but not going to do any better for the OPs task.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thats's actually what I was looking for. What are the benefits to a chisel edge blade? I actually don't cut very much cardboard, just a little bit. Most of my cutting is thick plastic seram wrap and the occasional tape on a package and maybe other non regular stuff.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This is what makes sense to me.
    http://www.itstactical.com/warcom/kn...to-open-boxes/
    If you don't mind carrying another knife you will never really have to sharpen your main/favorite knifes unless you have to use it.
    Last edited by zombiescometh; 08-10-15 at 01:47.
    "The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win and cheat if necessary." ~ Clint Smith

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    If you're buying an edc knife (folder), use it. Use it on whatever you want. Food prep. Whittling. Opening boxes. Cutting calluses. Whatever. Get a sharpener that is easy to use and repeatable. When she gets dull, use the sharpener. It makes it so much more enjoyable and worth the money when you actually aren't worried about getting your knife dull because you can get it stupid Sharp again in 5 minutes.
    IMO, spend the money on a Wicked Edge. Done. Period.
    "Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I've lost enough knives to where I don't EDC anything over $50-$100. As others have stated, a good sharpener will make a world of difference. Expensive knives are great, and I have a few, but I don't carry them often. They're more of a collector's item.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Spyderco, Benchmade, Zero Tolerance, Kershaw, DPX...all good choices.
    "Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    77 (100%)

Are expensive knives worth it?

Some info about the different blade grinds.

Personally at that price point, I would skip Emerson and go to ZT, Spyderco, or Benchmade, probably in that order.

A good place to start could be the ZT Emerson Collaborations:

ETA: and agree with the above. Buy a Second hand ZT0620CF and used the saved money to grab a Rexford RUT to use on small jobs.

Also, here is a link with some info on different blade grinds:

http://www.agrussell.com/articles/a/105/

Also of not is that some Emersons are chisel ground, like the CQC7, where the bevel is on one side and the other side is flat. Some are V-ground, where the bevels are ground on both sides, like the Roadhouse or Commander, but even the V-ground ones are still only sharpened on one side. That is part of making them easier to sharpen.
    Last edited by jstalford; 08-10-15 at 14:29.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast