Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MK 12 MOD "DOC"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Okay, this is spooky. We were at work last night, and the subject of doing a MK 12 build came up. Then I find this thread.

Cue the eerie music......

Seriously, this is a big help. Thanks for the write up.
    You don't need a coincidence to build an MK12.........build it and they will come!!!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Excellent addition to the Custom Build Forum, Doc. It sounds like your choice of components are providing the results you were looking for. With some creative range building, I can get you to 700 yards. I have pulled off 630 yd. in the past.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Okay, this is spooky. We were at work last night, and the subject of doing a MK 12 build came up. Then I find this thread.

Cue the eerie music......

Seriously, this is a big help. Thanks for the write up.
    I am so in your head right now.,........
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBK View Post
    Excellent addition to the Custom Build Forum, Doc. It sounds like your choice of components are providing the results you were looking for. With some creative range building, I can get you to 700 yards. I have pulled off 630 yd. in the past.
    I will make it easy for you and settle for 600 meters.....

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    I am so in your head right now.,........
    Don't trip over the empty Bourbon bottles and cigar butts.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I will make it easy for you and settle for 600 meters.....
    Meters, smeters...I need a calculator for those.

Don't trip over the empty Bourbon bottles and cigar butts.
    Ain't that the truth!!
    Last edited by TXBK; 08-12-15 at 23:04.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    I have always liked the Mk12. I like the idea of a precision AR. There were some things that I did not like about it or just wanted to change. This project has taken about two years and I am still not finished. Here is what I came up with.

Upper:
    - Noveske 1/7 twist 18" Rifle Length Gas, turned down under the hand guard, with a Switch-Block and black Cerakote

The entire rifle is based around the barrel. I wanted a Noveske Barrel, they are the best AR Barrels around for accuracy and longevity. That issue has been beat to death so that is all I will say about it. I did want a rifle length gas system because of how smooth they shoot with rifle buffer system. That posed a problem seeing how John hated that system. So, I had to get with Wes at MSTN to get the barrel that I wanted. As far as I can tell they are the only ones that I know of that have the Rifle Gas system Noveskes. Wes was great and I got the barrel exact barrel I wanted. I can't say enough good things about MSTN.

How it Shoots:

I have 750 rounds through it.

That sounds almost exactly like my rifle. I have been running a rifle length Noveske SPR barrel since 2006 and she shoots like a dream with 4500 rounds down range so far. I'm running the SPR/M4 can, but the difference there should not be that great.

Great rifle, You should enjoy it for a while.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    That is nasty. I want one.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)

UPDATE: 07/29/2017

I have made changes since I have posted this. Nothing major but I replaces the scope with a Leupold MK4 4.5-14x50 TMR. I also added a Burris FastFire on the left side of the scope. I would normally put it on the right side but the ATN PS28-2 Night Vision Riflescope Clip-On battery compartment blocks the view there. So I rotated it to the left and I can simple use it by opening my left eye. It works nicely. I also replaced the iron sites with a set of MagPul Pro off set ones. This I have to do also because of the PS28-2, which set too low for sight. I have also decided to use the AAC Mini4 as the only can I use on it. With the 18" barrel and the switchblock it is quite enough and the POI shift is very little at all.

I have about just under 3K worth of ammo through it and it runs great and if I do my part it is well under MOA.

Over the last 4 years I have tried several scopes before I found the one that I like for this set up. I am still thinking that I may change the scope but for now I like the set up.

Here is it in this current set up.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Great build! Did you ever get to shoot it out to 700 yards as desired?
    NC

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast