Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: MK 12 MOD "DOC"

Feedback Score
    Really nice build, very educational read

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    “If you have them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow” Chuck Colson

Feedback Score
    i am took scared of messing it up to use spray paint

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bad107 View Post
    i am took scared of messing it up to use spray paint
    Don't be. If it is the worst paint job ever just paint over it and try again. It really is that easy.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    I have always liked the Mk12. I like the idea of a precision AR. There were some things that I did not like about it or just wanted to change. This project has taken about two years and I am still not finished. Here is what I came up with.

Upper:
    - Rainier Arms Upper (came as a Matched upper & lowers set)
    - Noveske 1/7 twist 18" Rifle Length Gas, turned down under the hand guard, with a Switch-Block and black Cerakote
    - AAC 51T Break
    - Young Mfg National Match Bolt Carrier Group - Full Auto
    - Vltor/BCM Charging Handle with Mod 4 (MEDIUM) Latch
    - LaRue 12.0 Rail with Index Clips and AFG
    - Harris Bipod with LaRue QD Mount
    - Troy Front Sight
    - KAC 600 M rear Sight
    - LaRue SPR Mount
    - Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9x40
    - AAC SND-6

Lower:
    - Rainier Arms Lower (came as a Matched upper & lowers set)
    - Colt LPK
    - LMT Ambi Selector
    - Timney 3 lbs Single Stage Skeleton Trigger
    - Egro Grip
    - MagPul Trigger Guard
    - Colt A1 Buttstock, Tube, spring, and buffer
    - Troy M16A4 Sling Mount
    - Moleskin on stock

Lots and lots of Spray Paint.

Now for the long part, the WHY:

The entire rifle is based around the barrel. I wanted a Noveske Barrel, they are the best AR Barrels around for accuracy and longevity. That issue has been beat to death so that is all I will say about it. I did want a rifle length gas system because of how smooth they shoot with rifle buffer system. That posed a problem seeing how John hated that system. So, I had to get with Wes at MSTN to get the barrel that I wanted. As far as I can tell they are the only ones that I know of that have the Rifle Gas system Noveskes. I wanted a Switchblock because I plan on shooting both with and without the can. On all of my other ARs I don't used one but I figured that with this being a purely precision rifle it may help. Wes was great and I got the barrel exact barrel I wanted. I can't say enough good things about MSTN.

Some of the part are just because I had them or I like them. The Upper and Lower were a matched set I got that have no play what so ever. That was what I was looking for in those parts. I have had very good luck with Young Mfg BCGs on precision guns in the past so I stayed with them. I went with the LaRue rail because it is my favorite rail and I do not think that there is a better one out there. I have currently have 6 different LaRue rails and I have never had an issue with any that I have owned. I like single stage triggers on my ARs. For my precision shooting I like Timney the best. It feels the crispest and has the least amount of creep. I used a Colt LPK because I had one on my parts bin and it came with the A1 Stock set. I replace all of the selectors and triggers so no issues there. I have ambi selectors on almost all of my ARs because I shoot both left and right handed, and my wife shoots left handed. I have BUIS on all of my ARs no matter the purpose, that is just the way I am.

I go back and forth with my cans. I mostly use the SND-6 but I have also tried my Mini4 and like that a lot. Not sure which one I am going to dedicate to this rifle.

I have the Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9x40 on it right now. This scope was never going to be a permanent optic for this rifle. It went one about two years ago. To be honest I really like it on this rifle. The glass is very clear and the fire dot is truly daytime visible. I am going to get a different scope for it with more magnification but I still have not figured what I want to put on it.

Last but not least, the moleskin. I like texture on my face and it helps me get back to the same spot on the stock every time. I also got used it it on my stocks in Afghanistan so my facial hair would't be pulled on my stocks. I hated that.

How it Shoots:

I have 750 rounds through it. Most of the ammo is MK262 or Hornady 75 gr BTHP Match. I have fired some M855 just to see how it would do and to record my DOPE. With the Rifle Gas and the Rifle Buffer it is the smoothest AR I have ever shot. I love the feel. I have had no malfunctions to this date. I have done a 60 round fast fire as a reliability test and still not one issue came up. (I would not call it a pure mag dump as I was still keeping it on target and just trying hit a man size silhouette target at 100 meters. The longest I have had it out to is 300 meters. I need to find a longer range to get it out there. I want to get it out to at least 700 meters when I get some different glass on it.

As for groups I have had my best with MK262. I can't find my photos of my groups so I am not going to even say anything about them. Because I do not want to get into any type of conversation with the internet "trolls". I do have them logged so PM me if you are interested.

Let me know if you have any questions.
    Beautiful rifle, good to know I'm not the only red raider who likes noveske barrels. I have the 18 SPR for my 3gun rifle then a 16 CHF one for another rifle, more of a recce type gun.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorinInTheWoods View Post
    Beautiful rifle, good to know I'm not the only red raider who likes noveske barrels. I have the 18 SPR for my 3gun rifle then a 16 CHF one for another rifle, more of a recce type gun.
    This is 1 of 6 Noveske rifles that I have.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    Very nice build. Will the rifle cycle in S mode without the can?

Where did you get the barrel/SB assembly? Only place I can find that configuration is from MSTN but no SB.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sacamano View Post
    Where did you get the barrel/SB assembly? Only place I can find that configuration is from MSTN but no SB.
    Read the first paragraph after the pictures.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sacamano View Post
    Very nice build. Will the rifle cycle in S mode without the can?

titsonritz is correct. I had to contact Wes at MSTN and custom order it. Since I was doing a custom barrel I had him to turn it down slightly behind the gas block and then he also cerakote it black. To be honest I have never tried to shot it with the SW in the in the wrong position.

Feedback Score
    looks awesome!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234