Thread: Updated KISS

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Updated KISS

Replaced C1 buttstock with a CAR tele:

5 lbs. 15 oz.!!
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I like your style. Something about a simple carbine or rifle that I really enjoy. I have had a C7 receivered gun in some form or another for at least a decade.

I also really dig a simple M16A2/A3 type gun as well.

It took a long time to wrap my head around, as I grew up thinking that a walking around rifle needed wood and manual operation. The AR is the essence of America's rifle, though. A plain and simple AR makes a great do-it-all.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    No build description or reasoning behind your custom build?
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBK View Post
    No build description or reasoning behind your custom build?
    Well it's an update to a custom build

Description: C7 upper w/Daniel Defense 16" LW CHF barrel. Shoots great!
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Rules are rules! Why did you build this rifle? What role do you see it filling? What parts did you choose and why?

Since this is an evolution thread, where did it start from, what changes were made and why?
    Last edited by MistWolf; 08-16-15 at 20:44.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    With the Thermold, it looks like a Canadian (or at least Commonwealth) M16 Carbine. A generic squaddie "Armalite" toting with your bergen. Perhaps a bit of a cabbie in Sierra Leone agaimst some right uncivilized blokes. A rifle carried by dudes named Stonebridge, Mcnab, Lancaster, or Hollister.

I like it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Rules are rules! Why did you build this rifle? What role do you see it filling? What parts did you choose and why?

Since this is an evolution thread, where did it start from, what changes were made and why?
    The build was my conception of what the M16 should have been from the start: a "carbine" rather than a "rifle", if certain factions in the Army had accepted the Assault Rifle concept was in the early 1960s.

As such, I went with the fixed A1 stock, as the telestock design didn't come until later. A1 upper because I prefer it over the A2 (though the case could be made that the A2-type upper could have been adopted at the early date, as it is similar to the AR10 sight system). Lightweight profile barrel, because that's the proper barrel for a general-purpose arm; Midlength gas because it is better for the 16" barrel, and Daniel Defense because I've always had great luck with them, and prefer CHF if available. Cylindrical handguards (CavArms C8) as I prefer them too, and they actually go back to at least 1968.

(That was just a fun thought experiment/alternate history idea. I also wanted just a light, simple rifle for shooting enjoyment)

Evolutions: Originally I had an original-type 3-prong flash hider on the build, but replaced it with the Phantom, which is my favorite because of its effectiveness and low cost. The fixed stock was replaced by the tele, because I prefer them, and also wanted to use a CAR type.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    With the Thermold, it looks like a Canadian (or at least Commonwealth) M16 Carbine. A generic squaddie "Armalite" toting with your bergen. Perhaps a bit of a cabbie in Sierra Leone agaimst some right uncivilized blokes. A rifle carried by dudes named Stonebridge, Mcnab, Lancaster, or Hollister.

I like it.
    +1