Thread: Issue w/DD Omega Rail & rail covers?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Question Issue w/DD Omega Rail & rail covers?

I put a set of DD Omega's on my LMT 10.5" upper and as far as using KAC rail covers on my set of DD's ...it ain't happening.

I just noticed yesterday how low profile the DD's are (putting the top of each rail damn near flush with the hanguard cap -) which makes sliding on a KAC rail a lesson in futility.

I had to use a vice, a chain and a truck to pull the KAC rail cover off!

Yesterday when I tried to slide on a Magpul rail with the recessed pressure switch it was the same thing. There were plastic shavings all over the place when the gorilla and I finally muscled the rail cover off.

Then it finally occured to me that something was awry with these DD Omega rails.

The pic below is a comparison of the "height" of the DD's rail to the KAC Ras.

Look at the middle of the picture where the rails from each rifle are positioned next to one another.

The KAC's are so much taller above the handguard cap, which makes sliding rail covers on and off a breeze.

I was going to call DD about this but I think that is just how they are made.

Can anyone comment on this?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I think that is just how they are made.

I have only used the included ladder covers so far, so I can't really offer any experience other than that.

Although it looks as if the upper with the Omega has a triagular handguard cap, and the KAC upper had a round one? It also appears that the triangular may be wider, which may be part of the problem, but that may just be an optical illusion?

-RD62

Feedback Score
    If you put some pressure on the opposite side rail and push it away from the handguard cap, the rail panels will slide on and off without shaving plastic off of them.

Lynn

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    This is one of the few gripes I have with the Omega.

KAC panel fit could be much better.

I also don't think it should be as narrow as it is. Its width would be fine if it was not a drop in FF rail as a handguard cap would not be used.

However, it is meant to be used with the handguard cap and should be wider.

The picatinny slots should be moved forward also so the KAC panels is flush with the ends.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    I also don't think it should be as narrow as it is.
    I'm a function over fashion guy all the way..... but the narrowness of the DD looks weird to me.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I personally like how the DD Omega Rail looks and feels.
    The KAC panels (and also Tango Down) panels
    have too much movement for me.
    I also use the provided ladders and I when I need panels
    I like the grip of Magpul XL panels.

Feedback Score

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by geezerbutler View Post
    I put a set of DD Omega's on my LMT 10.5" upper and as far as using KAC rail covers on my set of DD's ...it ain't happening.

I just noticed yesterday how low profile the DD's are (putting the top of each rail damn near flush with the hanguard cap -) which makes sliding on a KAC rail a lesson in futility.

I had to use a vice, a chain and a truck to pull the KAC rail cover off!

Yesterday when I tried to slide on a Magpul rail with the recessed pressure switch it was the same thing. There were plastic shavings all over the place when the gorilla and I finally muscled the rail cover off.

Then it finally occured to me that something was awry with these DD Omega rails.

The pic below is a comparison of the "height" of the DD's rail to the KAC Ras.

Look at the middle of the picture where the rails from each rifle are positioned next to one another.

The KAC's are so much taller above the handguard cap, which makes sliding rail covers on and off a breeze.

I was going to call DD about this but I think that is just how they are made.

Can anyone comment on this?

Thanks

I would call Jay or John at DD. I know both of these guys enough to say that they will be more than happy to answer any questions that you might have regarding their products and do everything in their power to to help , with out making you feel embarrassed or like a newbie.
    "you wanna know what i think....it don't really matter what i think. once that first bullet goes past your head, politics and all that shit go right out the window!"SFC Hoot Hooten.

( what are you gonna do )" I'm gonna get better and burn their play house down".
    Bob Lee Swagger

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yes, the handguard cap makes it tight getting KAC panels and others off, but once they are on, it isn't like I need to move them around, so its not an issue to me.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I have experinced any issues with getting mine on or off when I need too. I had a set of troy pannels on a dd m4 rail and it seems about the same as that.