Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Knights SR15 E3 Carbine MOD2 and .223 questions. ...

Feedback Score

Knights SR15 E3 Carbine MOD2 and .223 questions. ...

Seriously considering the SR15 E3 Carbine MOD2 for SHTF duty. Has anyone had or heard of any cycling problems with QUALITY .223 ammo ? I always plan on using nothing but the best in 5.56 (Federal and Blackhills) but for considering the SR15 as a civilian SHTF gun one must plan for the possibility that 5.56 ammo may not always be available at the given moment in a bad situation. There's just more .223 out there.

In particular is the mid-length gas system good to go while running weaker .223 if need be. Looking at the 14.5 middy.

http://http://www.knightarmco.com/sr-15-e3-carbine-mod-2/?cate_cm=commercial&term=sr-15&features=sr-15-carbine-mod-2

I appreciate all replies.

TP....
    Last edited by TacPlinker; 08-20-15 at 08:52.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    I really hope more people post in this thread; I'm really looking hard at the exact same gun you are talking about.

I know on "the other side" KAC reps are pretty active in posting in their industry sub forum, so I read a lot there. I remember a post about the ammo they use to test each rifle before leaving the factory from a KAC rep, I forgot who, but I'm sure he's active here as well.

I specifically remember him saying it was PMC. He didn't specify if it was the X-tac or not, but considering the nature of the thread it was posted in I'd assume it was just the .223 pressure PMC.

I'm sure someone will come in here with a more definite answer for you.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    There is no doubt that KAC makes a fine rifle but I wouldn't want one for my only SHTF weapon. Too many proprietary parts.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    There is no doubt that KAC makes a fine rifle but I wouldn't want one for my only SHTF weapon. Too many proprietary parts.
    Ever heard of anyone breaking any of those proprietary parts? I havent.Hell ballistic radio put 21k rounds through his mod 2 without any malfunctions or problems and it still shoots moa lol.You arent breaking the bolt or gas tube so the small parts you should already have on hand for any rifle are no big deal.

I have both the mod 1 and mod2.The sr15 line of rifles is handsdown the best purchase I have ever made when it comes to an AR15.My gun cycles everything from tula up to some 77gr loads.I generally feed them nothing but wolf gold/ppu/and freedom reman and I have never had an issue with either style sr15.

Feedback Score
    107 (100%)
    I have 10 KAC rifles with another one that will be delivered Monday. They will eat everything.
    Get the KAC , you'll love it. I use them all on duty/SWAT.
    Can you have a malfunction? Of course, no such thing as a rifle that will never have a malfunction. But if you shoot decent ammo you'll be fine.
    I'll be getting a Mod2 in the next 6-8 months.

Feedback Score
    107 (100%)
    You can also order direct from KAC for LEO pricing.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I have an original SR15, a Mod 1, and an SBR. They are all stellar performers and I have not any malfunction that was attributable to the weapon. I shoot Federal XM193 almost exclusively. I have also put these guns on full auto lowers and run them suppressed. No problems what so ever. When I bought the original SR15 I ran it for over 3,500 rounds without cleaning, through several classes. I finally cleaned it when the black goo oozing from the upper ruined a nice Under Armor shirt I was wearing. I've also run them so dry that when I pulled the BCG out of the upper carbon powder falls out; no lube left at all. Mine have always run despite my attempts to test their limits. I also run mine with buffers one step up from stock with no ill effects.

They are great performers.

Feedback Score
    Wasn't there tons of posts a couple years ago about, to the dismay of some, they started making bigger gas ports to accommodate cheap ammo? Similar to many companies

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    I don't understand this argument. If you break a bolt in a mil-spec AR, what will you do? Hope to scavenge a new bolt? Is that bolt going to be in an AR on the ground or do you expect to find a stockpile of spare bolts?

Does this mean you don't recommend any pistol besides the 1911 for SHTF because they're all proprietary?

Does this mean absolutely no other long gun besides a mil-spec AR is suitable for SHTF?
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    So as I see it the only proprietary parts to worry about in an EXTREME situation are the cam pin, bolt and firing pin. That I can store in the grip. If I ever blow through those items then I would just swap in a spare upper. I'm sold.

So are you guys talking about experience with the 16 or 14.5 middy?

TP...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast