Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: My PSA Journey

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thx997303 View Post
    I'm just curious, exactly how long do we have to sit here reviewing all of these guns before the sample size exceeds one? Seems it's always a sample of one, even in a thread like this with more than a sample of one. I mean, I have a sample of two.
    I'm at two completed rifles, 3 others in various stages of completion (two of which waiting on tax stamps) and 2 others that i have built for friends and family.

As a disclaimer, I really WANT PSA to be successful and have great products. Im SC born and raised, and I like to see local business thrive. The Greenville retail location is also my primary shooting range and is not 5 minutes from my office, so I have a vested interest in their well being.

My first centerfire gun of any kind was a 14.5 pinned CHF build that i bought from them. I assembled that in 2011 so it had to be soon after PSA started gaining traction in the community, judging off the SN's of that gun and the most recent i picked up from them (dec 2015) that 2011 gun had to be in the first 5% they pumped out. It has worked flawlessly for me through 3k+ rounds. i know thats not a lot from what some of you guys put down range, but theres never been anything I've asked it to do that it hasn't.

My most recent completed build is a 18" rifle length SPRish gun. Rifle buffer, PSA stainless 18" barreled upper, blem lower, PSA LPK (with giesselle SSA-E.) It is a different story. I have been tuning it since it was completed, and is a FTF/short stroking machine. I have swapped bolts and lower and magazines between the two guns and it seems like i have isolated the issue to the gas port (i hope) and have contacted PSA to see what they recommend. I don't have an answer from them yet but i just tried to make contact a few days ago. i know that 18" rifle gas guns can be picky, and i know that cold weather can exacerbate the issue, but this thing has NEVER worked right. I still have faith that this will get taken care of, but my impressions of PSA are still favorable, I just hope the customer service can come through for me here....
    I always wanted to take two shotguns and mount one on either side of a Rottweiler...I will call the breed a Shottweiler

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have 3 complete PSA rifles with 1000's of round of every type ammo made from many different mags and have not had any problems. I've built or helped with 5 or so more and not heard of any problems. Lucky, maybe but for the money (2 of 3 are under $550) they are good. I have others (Colt, Sig and DPMS) and up to 100 yards not much difference for my ability.

Thanks to my addiction I build a "better one" and a better one and a better one until I finally build the Holy Grail of AR's or die!

Feedback Score
    I have a couple just for blasting around the ranch. They aren't my go-to rifles but they work fine and were better and cheaper than the usual cheap companies because with PSA you get 1/7 twist barrels, you can buy a rifle kit to avoid the assembly tax, and at $450 total you can't beat it. Otherwise, what are the cheap options? 1/9 twist Windham Weaponry or crappy Radical that has the barrels unscrewing from the extension? meh.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56Geo View Post
    After buying a PSA you may find yourself saying, "Maybe I should have bought a BCM, Daniel Defense, Colt, or LMT!". After buying a BCM, Daniel Defense, Colt, or LMT you will never find yourself saying, "Maybe I should have bought a PSA!".

The bitterness of inferior quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. Buy once cry once!
    Yep. Had a PSA because I didn't want to spend the $ for a BCM. Well a year and some change later I now have 2 BCMs and the PSA sits in the safe. I keep it because it has been reliable but the fsb is canted slightly and it is overgassed. And their "lightweight" profile 14.7" barrel is a fairly useless profile. Nowhere near as light as my 16" lightweight BCM middy.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    or crappy Radical that has the barrels unscrewing from the extension?
    Say what?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    The wife's new range toy is a PSA lower and Premium upper build. Only a couple of hundred rds through it so far but it's been 100%. A couple of friends went a similar route (one went lower/premium upper, the other went premium kit and his own stripped lower), both have been 100% as well (again, limited rd count).
    Would I go PSA for "serious use"? No.
    However, their Premium line seems pretty good for entry-level so far.
    "His Universe, His rules." - Tomac

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomac View Post
    The wife's new range toy is a PSA lower and Premium upper build. Only a couple of hundred rds through it so far but it's been 100%. A couple of friends went a similar route (one went lower/premium upper, the other went premium kit and his own stripped lower), both have been 100% as well (again, limited rd count).
    Would I go PSA for "serious use"? No.
    However, their Premium line seems pretty good for entry-level so far.
    I've seen the phrase "Serious Use" thrown about on these forums quite a bit. What constitutes "Serious Use?" I mean how many times do I have to read people saying things like " I have brand X rifle. I've got 1K rounds through it without an issue, but would not trust it for "Serious Use". if your gun works, it works right? So it amuses Me how many people who have 100% reliable firearms that have brand "X" on the side say they would only trust them as range toys. I think "some" people put more faith in a roll mark than in actual performance. If My rifle performs reliably and I can shoot it well, why shouldn't I trust it for "Serious Use" just because the roll mark might not be brand "Y?"

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay H View Post
    I've seen the phrase "Serious Use" thrown about on these forums quite a bit. What constitutes "Serious Use?" I mean how many times do I have to read people saying things like " I have brand X rifle. I've got 1K rounds through it without an issue, but would not trust it for "Serious Use". if your gun works, it works right? So it amuses Me how many people who have 100% reliable firearms that have brand "X" on the side say they would only trust them as range toys. I think "some" people put more faith in a roll mark than in actual performance. If My rifle performs reliably and I can shoot it well, why shouldn't I trust it for "Serious Use" just because the roll mark might not be brand "Y?"
    To me "serious use" means professional LE/MIL, where your life may literally depend upon the reliability/durability of your weapon every single day.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomac View Post
    To me "serious use" means professional LE/MIL, where your life may literally depend upon the reliability/durability of your weapon every single day.
    OK, but the point of Jay H's comment is still valid. Would you put more faith in a rollmark than the proven performance of a gun you actually own and have tested with thousands of rounds?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwagon View Post
    OK, but the point of Jay H's comment is still valid. Would you put more faith in a rollmark than the proven performance of a gun you actually own and have tested with thousands of rounds?
    After personal testing is one thing. It's quite another when comparing two untested rifles right off the rack, at which point it becomes which is more likely to be rugged/reliable when your life might be on the line *before* you've had the chance to test.
    Tomac

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast