Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bug Out Bag

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Where do you live, how far do you have to go, and where are you going to ... ?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by S1dewinder View Post
    At first inspection, this seems like a lot! Though, its all completely reasonable. What bag are you using? Can you get all of this into a backpack? Perhaps not the change of clothes...
    For my personal bag I use a Camelback Maxpedition with a large Fanny pack (I forget the name) style bag attached to the molle on the outsidde of the max. I can fit everything I listed into these 2 bags and separate them if necessary; it is bulky and tight fitting and I have to play Tetris to get it all in but it works. The change of clothes is placed into a vacuum seal bag and compressed/sealed to help kill dead space. I do this with many of the items in the bag to help save space and keep air/water tight.

For my truck bags I found some medium sized tool bags on sale at Ace Hardware- I can fit about 1/3-1/2 of the stuff in my list in this bag. They make great Christmas presents for family and friends who would appreciate them.

My wifes set up is a different bag with the 90% same items and some different ones specifically for her, I forget exactly what type, an older medium-smallish backpacking bag we got at REI years ago that got replaced with a larger bag a few years ago for backpacking needs.

Additional items I have in my bag (I checked this morning):
    -Headlamp
    -Small Dental emergency kit
    -(2) bic lighters
    -(2) small beeswax candles
    -Flask everclear
    -poncho
    -Large 55 gallon Black Trash bag
    -(5) Coffee filters
    -3 days of Emergency dog food
    -Eye lubricating drops
    -Floss

As to the weight, I didn't have time to check after repacking it this morning, I'll try and weigh it this weekend and post it up. I would guess its around 35-45-ish pounds.

I'd like to get a small .22 LR rifle- the kind that can stow away in the stock of the rifle- Henry survival rifle I think and throw those in as well; just haven't gotten around to it. Anyone have experience with those rifles- are they worth it? Are they crap?
    We interrupt this programme to bring you an important news bulletin: the suspect in the Happy Times All-Girl Glee Club slaying has fled the scene and has managed to elude the police. He is armed and dangerous, and has been spotted in the West Side area, armed with a meat cleaver in one hand and his genitals in the other...

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Great detailed list!

My wife is always having use go vist her college friend that lives two hours away. I always bring a backpack with one form or another of the items listed here. I do not bring a rifle as uh think they are heavy and draw attention. I just makes sure to have my g17 with several loaded mags and a good OWB holster.

The sawyer mini is great and you can mix and match several of there products to make a more complete filter system.

Lots of high carb food! Find something that Will cook/boil for you.

A good headlamp is something that I lack and wish I had!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I just got a Kelley Kettle Hobo Stove. Its a great addition.

Everyone needs to add zip ties and duct tape! I never leave home without them.

After reading this I am going to add a flask with something tasty in it. Great idea!!

Feedback Score
    If there's a need severe enough to bug out, where are you going that's better?

If I lived in the city, I'd want to bug out too if riots broke out, or a dirty bomb is possibly going to go off, or fill in some other horrible scenario situation, but for me, I live in the country and don't see any benefit in leaving to go to where and do what and compete with everyone else who bugged out...?

If many others are bugging out, won't they be in each others way and all want the same resources?

Perhaps, it's been mentioned, but if I was going to bug out, I'd stock up on cases of booze and cigarettes as bartering material.

A bottle of booze/cigarettes might save your life if you can trade them for food and water...
    Last edited by Abraham; 08-29-15 at 09:40.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by b2dap1 View Post
    Everyone needs to add zip ties and duct tape! I never leave home without them.
    Those are two items that I always have in my kits, all of my kits no matter how small.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Those extra NRA or cable cards that come in the mail can be easily wrapped with a few meters of gorrilla tape to carry around. I have them stashed in vehicles, camping packs, FAKs, etc.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Abraham View Post
    If there's a need severe enough to bug out, where are you going that's better?

If I lived in the city, I'd want to bug out too if riots broke out, or a dirty bomb is possibly going to go off, or fill in some other horrible scenario situation, but for me, I live in the country and don't see any benefit in leaving to go to where and do what and compete with everyone else who bugged out...?
    People who live in rural areas might have to get the hell out of Dodge in the event of a wildfire, flood, EF-0 through EF-5 tornado, down wind of a hazardous waste train derailment, etc.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    215 (100%)
    If you take any medications you should be sure to have some packed away with your emergency kit. You never know if or when you'll have a chance to do so once a disaster strikes.

Feedback Score
    Look at the area you live in and analyze the most likely events that would cause you to utilize your bag(s). Think about possible challenges created by the event(s) itself, weather/environmental challenges, people challenges, known challenges you already may have (physical?), etc... Then assemble the contents of your bag to address them. Be sure to consider, in advance, where you might go, how you would get there and have multiple routes to do so... This approach helps you keep your pack manageable in size/weight, and minimizes items that aren't necessary. Once you have it assembled, go carry it and ensure you vet the equipment you put in it. IMHO, be ready for your BOB to never be finalized/complete.
    " I can't walk with gum in my mouth...It makes it to where I can't breathe"-The Wife Unit

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast