Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's The Allure of SBR's?

Feedback Score
    1) Points quicker

2) Lighter and more maneuverable

3) Special operations guys use them

4) The f@&! the government factor. The $200 tax, which was once so cost prohibitive that it pretty much acted as a ban, now barely puts a dent in a lot of people's paychecks. One of the, for lack of a better word, "good" things that have come from inflation.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    In and out of a vehicle or in tight quarters such as in the home, the maneuverability is far superior. You're giving up terminal performance at longer distances for portability and maneuverability. Anything inside 100 yards should still be a chip shot and most scenarios in which a civilian or civilian LE would encounter fall within this range.

If I were getting one tomorrow, it would be in .300 BLK. You're not giving anything up that would really matter with that choice, short of cheap practice ammo. You could still get a 5.56 upper for that.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Because within the most effective envelope of performance (200m), an 11.5 does 85% that a 14.5 does, while packing smaller and moving lighter.
    With high-performance ammo, they're about 95%.
    With a suppressor, they're about the same size as a 14.5.

If NFA regs didn't include SBRs, I bet that the most popular barrel lengths among our community would be between 10.3 and 14.5.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    1) Points quicker

2) Lighter and more maneuverable

3) Special operations guys use them

4) The f@&! the government factor. The $200 tax, which was once so cost prohibitive that it pretty much acted as a ban, now barely puts a dent in a lot of people's paychecks. One of the, for lack of a better word, "good" things that have come from inflation.
    Yea....registering your guns with the federal government is truly a **** you to them...not us. Give me a break.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Flankenstein View Post
    Yea....registering your guns with the federal government is truly a **** you to them...not us. Give me a break.
    The fact that it is no longer cost prohibitive and their attempt at a backdoor ban backfired on them is the **** you factor. It's not perfect, but it's showing that we won't be dissuaded from owning the weapons the government says pretty please don't own
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    The fact that it is no longer cost prohibitive and their attempt at a backdoor ban backfired on them is the **** you factor. It's not perfect, but it's showing that we won't be dissuaded from owning the weapons the government says pretty please don't own
    Hard logical fail. You honestly think the gov is saying "pretty please don't own them?" You are clueless.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flankenstein View Post
    Hard logical fail. You honestly think the gov is saying "pretty please don't own them?" You are clueless.
    Let's bring this back on topic.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Let's bring this back on topic.
    Copy.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    To me, I think it is mostly about the cool factor than anything else with many who have them. That is except for those who build clones of military type SBRs. Personally, those are the only ones I care to build. I have a Mk18 CQBR clone and a Model 607 clone. I want to build a Colt Commando clone as well.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Let's be honest, the main reason why many of us find SBR's so alluring is the fact that the Federal Government begrudges us having them.

Kind of like teens and alcohol, once they hit 21 it's not "cool" anymore.

Sure the whole small package thing applies but to 99% of gun owners the only time they use the "advantage" of a short barrel is for home defense. I don't know to many SBR owners that routinely get in and out of vehicles with their carbines slung to them. Obviously this doesn't apply to LEO's/MIL who have SBR for work guns, in fact SBRs should be used in these roles unless your AO dictates shooting at distance.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast