Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible issue with my 642

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Possible issue with my 642

I saw a topic about this in the past but can't remember where. There is a pit, or chunk, missing out of my 642's firing pin bushing (?). Is this an issue that needs repaired or nothing to worry about?

"When you go home, Tell them of us and say, For your tomorrow, We gave our today."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cathellsk View Post
    I saw a topic about this in the past but can't remember where. There is a pit, or chunk, missing out of my 642's firing pin bushing (?). Is this an issue that needs repaired or nothing to worry about?
    My thread, same problem: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...lacement-Rcvd)

Box it up and get ready to ship.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    As ST911's thread indicated, it needs to go back to the factory for warranty work. Get in contact with Smith & Wesson and give them an opportunity to make it right.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks guys, that's what I figured would have to happen. I've sent snubbys back to Springfield before and always been done right, just hate being without my favorite J for awhile. Going to have to use one of my 640s in the meantime.
    "When you go home, Tell them of us and say, For your tomorrow, We gave our today."

Feedback Score
    Cathellsk, your 642 looks pretty clean. How many rounds through it?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I bought it new from Bud's Gun Shop, it's a LEO model, back in 2011 when I was in Lexington for firearms instructor training for my agency. Since day 1 it's had an Apex kit and polished rebound slide. I've got a documented 1500rds through it and untold amount of dry fires with never a single issue, the trigger feels awesome. Always shoot factory loaded ammo, mostly 130gr. FMJ or Speer Gold Dot 135gr. JHP.

I haven't shot it in awhile so took it out yesterday and ran the LAPD backup qual a couple times. When I got home and cleaned it is when I noticed this, at least I can't remember seeing it before. It's been carried and shot a lot and the finish shows it but it's not real bad. It has sentimental value so hate to see it get replaced but if that's what they have to do then so be it.

Feedback Score
    Is this also a DCU prefix SN# as in 2 examples in ST911's post?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brushy bill View Post
    Is this also a DCU prefix SN# as in 2 examples in ST911's post?
    CRN from June '11.

Feedback Score
    I've read this post carefully, and reread ST911's post as well. I am confused. I have very limited knowledge of how J-frames are put together, and less knowledge of metalurgy, but looking at the photos of the guns involved sure looks to me like something impacted on the area in question.

If a piece of the frame was poorly heat treated, or was made from a substandard or non-spec'd alloy, I would think the damage would be confined to the part in querstion, and not spread to adjacent, yet seperate components. If the firing pin bushing is defective, how does this cause damage to the adjacent frame?

It looks to me as if something hit the effected area. What it may have been, and whether that something was solid or gaseous I have no idea, but how else does one explain the damage to multiple parts, made of different materials?

Anyway that's my take. I prefer this to defective components, as I have several airweights and I would hate to add this to my nagging fear of cracked frames from over-torqued barrels.

If I am wrong, and someone can shed light on why I am wrong, please let me know. I want to learn.

Feedback Score
    Have you called S@W?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast