Thread: 556 and 22lr or Just 556?

Feedback Score

556 and 22lr or Just 556?

I'm looking at getting a Griffin Armament Recce 5 when my trust is finished. I really would like to shoot my Browning Buckmark/Tacsol barrel (1/2x28tpi) suppressed, but I'm just wondering if it would be worth buying a 22lr suppressor over just running the Recce 5 on it. I would not be carrying the Browning around so the added size(which isn't much) of the Recce 5 wouldn't be a huge deal I don't think. I also will be running 22lr subs through it so it should sound pretty good I assume. The only down side I can see is that the Recce 5 isn't user serviceable.

What do yall think? Save the 6-700 from the 22 can + tax and put it towards ammo or just get a 22 can?

Dave

Feedback Score
    I’m far from an expert but based on the amount of crap I have to clear out of my 22lr can after a healthy amount of shooting I would hate to gum up my 556 can that isn’t user-serviceable. 22lr is dirty, even with quality ammo and it leaves lots of sludge behind.

Buying a Sparrow was much cheaper in the long run than filling my 556 SOCOM to the point of diminishing return and having to replace that can.

YMMV

Feedback Score
    That was my biggest worry. I didn't know if a good dip in the sonic cleaner would be sufficient to getting all that out of the can after running it on the 22.

Dave

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dm_graham308 View Post
    I also will be running 22lr subs through it so it should sound pretty good I assume. The only down side I can see is that the Recce 5 isn't user serviceable.
    What's the plan after you lead up the can?

Just junk it?

Feedback Score
    Cleaning is one thing, I'd be more concerned about hanging a 14.5oz. can on the end of the Browning. The rimfire silencer weighs in around 4oz. I would get a rimfire suppressor, IMHO.

Feedback Score
    I have a good sonic cleaner at the shop, and even disassembled, it won't remove hardly any of the lead buildup on the baffles of my rimfire can.

A 5.56 can is just stupid big and heavy on a rimfire gun. It's worth having both.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the heads up on the sonic cleaner not getting much/any of the lead off.

I'll just go with a 22 and a 556 can.

Feedback Score
    Lead can be removed, but they easy way also creates very toxic waste that has to be properly disposed of. Basically, if you get an issue, it can be remedied, but I wouldn't willingly put myself through the hell and hatred, 22 cans are cheap.