Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Astigmatism with certain rifle scopes - help

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I have been a buy glasses on the cheap guy for years. So if I switch to a real eye doctor for some well made specs what terminology do I use when discussing this issue? I am fairly confident if I say my Aimpoint looks like a cluster of grapes and not a sharp red dot the doctor will look at me confusingly. TIA for any tips.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captiva View Post
    I have been a buy glasses on the cheap guy for years. So if I switch to a real eye doctor for some well made specs what terminology do I use when discussing this issue? I am fairly confident if I say my Aimpoint looks like a cluster of grapes and not a sharp red dot the doctor will look at me confusingly. TIA for any tips.
    Tell the Doc that street lights, traffic lights and/or car lights look like starbursts or a cluster of grapes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Your particular situation notwithstanding, statistically, the risks and complications to one's vision is greater with contact lenses than it is with LASIK or PRK.

Depending partially on age, phakik intraocular lens implantation is potentially an excellent alternative to LASIK/PRK for vision/astigmatism correction, with a lower complication rate. Corneal thickness and other such abnormalities don't matter in that case.

Yeah, I get the contact danger. You basically have a piece of plastic over your cornea (I know, oversimplification). It has the distinct possibility of holding something to get your eye infected, or something to scratch it. Plus, the risks of constantly sticking your fingers in your eyes.
    My particular situation was working in industrial machine shops, and later a job out on a river working on power line tower bases. More risk than probably the average person.

Never heard of the implantation thing. Is that similar to the cornea implant to correct cataracts? If so, from my understanding, insurance typically won't cover it unless you actually have cataracts.
    I don't have that kind of change.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Gunfixr; 09-05-15 at 21:23.
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    Yeah, I get the contact danger. You basically have a piece of plastic over your cornea (I know, oversimplification). It has the distinct possibility of holding something to get your eye infected, or something to scratch it. Plus, the risks of constantly sticking your fingers in your eyes.
    My particular situation was working in industrial machine shops, and later a job out on a river working on power line tower bases. More risk than probably the average person.

Never heard of the implantation thing. Is that similar to the cornea implant to correct cataracts? If so, from my understanding, insurance typically won't cover it unless you actually have cataracts.
    I don't have that kind of change.
    Lens implant, not cornea, but yeah, similar deal. Phakik IOL has nothing to do with cataracts, it's just a means of correcting vision without relying on an unsuitable cornea. And you're right, it would be very rare health insurance that covers any kind of vision correction surgery, whether LASIK, PRK, or phakik IOL.
    Last edited by Hmac; 09-06-15 at 02:50.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtSeavers View Post
    Are you talking about the brand new model Spitfire AR 1x with DRT reticle Vortex just released last year or the older model it replaced that shared the same body as their 3x as well as Burris' AR332 and the some Primary Arms and others?
    I just got the new Spitfire AR 1x DRT and I agree it's a great prism scope, and is actually a bit lighter than all the other comparable ones to boot.

New model:
    http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...rt-moa-reticle
    Yep, someone close to Vortex told me the 1x isn't selling like they hoped & is going out of production soon.

On sale now at Cabelas for $199.99. I really like it & want one before they are all gone.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/VORTE...OT/1783390.uts

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hop View Post
    Yep, someone close to Vortex told me the 1x isn't selling like they hoped & is going out of production soon.

On sale now at Cabelas for $199.99. I really like it & want one before they are all gone.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/VORTE...OT/1783390.uts
    That's a shame if true. Glad I got one at least.

Feedback Score
    Oh, well, looks like I'm stuck with the vision problems, at least for now.

On another note, today went shooting with a friend who has membership to a range with a 500 yds line, pretty rare around here.
    Turns out, he has an aimpoint comp m4. I know, older unit. Anyway, it kind of stars for me. It's not a real star shape, kind of weird. Turning down merely dims the star, until it all disappears.
    He also got a pistol with an rmr on it, the auto adjust led one. It's just kind of fuzzy. It's worse say, under a roof, and not quite as bad out in the sun.

The 22 I had to sight in, with the cheap bsa sweet 22 scope on it is perfectly clear, no illumination.
    My 308 that needed sighting, with the Bushnell elite tactical is perfectly clear also, the whole h59 reticle. Also no illumination.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123