Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aimpoint versus Trijicon Reflex: what's your preference and why?

Feedback Score

Aimpoint versus Trijicon Reflex: what's your preference and why?

I've been looking at going "battery free" as much as possible. I sold all my Aimpoints and I'm looking for an alternative. I probably will choose a TA11 or TA33 ACOG, but a friend of mine let me shoot his rifle with a Trijicon Reflex sight on it, and I'm impressed.

Problem is: I know literally nothing about it and only heard of it when he turned me on to it.

Those of you that have experience with it (especially if you also have experience with Aimpoints), what's your preference and why?

Save me another $600 if nothing else...LOL!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I originally chose the Reflex over the Aimpoint Micro (and Eotech) years ago. I now own 4 Micros and still just the one Reflex (and an Eotech). I liked the idea of a battery free optic (especially for a HD rifle) but ultimately found that the Micro suited my needs better (smaller, lighter, more refined dot).

If you do go with the Reflex, I would suggest having a roll of electrical tape handy. This may no longer be an issue, but on mine, when standing in bright light and aiming somewhere not as well lit (think standing in a field aiming into some shaded woods) the dot will be so bright that it washes out some of your sight picture. Covering about 2/3 of the top of the optic (where it gathers light) with a strip of electrical tape will solve this problem. Fold one end of the tape back on itself for a quick and dirty method of adjusting the brightness of your dot (just pull!). Or, you know, just reach up and adjust the brightness on my Micro. This made the battery free/ self adjusting brightness aspect of the Reflex something of a wash in my opinion.

The Reflex is quite a bit bigger than the Micro (not sure what type Aimpoints you had), especially width wise, and heavier (at least the model of Reflex I have is).

Finally, I can tell you that the dot on the Reflex is not as refined as the dots on any of my Micro's. There is a noticeable crescent moon shape to the dot on the Reflex I own (doesn't bother me, have had others comment on it though).

TLDR: The Reflex is ok, I like the Micro much more, would use both over the Eotech.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    which reflex are you referring to?

the full size or the rmr?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo_Man View Post
    which reflex are you referring to?

the full size or the rmr?
    The full size.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    The full size.
    Like this one that I reviewed? -> http://www.vdmsr.com/2014/11/trijico...moa-amber.html

It's a good option, that works well in various scenario's. Though the smaller version of the reflex, the RMR, essentially does the same thing.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Note that when standing in a dark area and shooting into a brightly lit area the reflex's reticle will go away as the tritium does not offer enough illumination to allow the reticle to appear. Tritium only works in very dark areas.
    NRA Life Member

"WINNING" - When all of the liberal democrats and other libtards start throwing themselves off cliffs because they don't get their way...

JEDIsh: We are asked not to judge all muslims by the acts of a few extremists, but we are encouraged to judge all gun owners by extreme acts of the few.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Strong pros and cons either way. With that being said, hard to beat a T1 with a 1 year + battery life!
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hk_shootr View Post
    Strong pros and cons either way. With that being said, hard to beat a T1 with a 1 year + battery life!
    My thinking is that I want to go "battery free". I've been doing some reading and even though the tritium elements have a 12 year half life, that doesn't mean your eye perceives them as particularly dim at that juncture. I read a post on one forum where the person had owned some kind of ACOG for a long time and said that it was perfectly usable even after 18+ years.

I'm also considering a TA33 or TA11 ACOG for that same reason.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Love my T1 but after reading One Second After I want the RMR on top of my ACOG for an EMP proof gun...lol.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Aimpoint versus Trijicon Reflex: what's your preference and why?

Quote Originally Posted by b2dap1 View Post
    Love my T1 but after reading One Second After I want the RMR on top of my ACOG for an EMP proof gun...lol.
    A gun safe would act as a faraday cage correct? So if you have multiple rigs with at least one in a safe you would still have a G2G gun with a working optic. A vehicle would also act as a faraday cage for protection. Unless your rigs are slung around you at the time of a EMP chances are your optic would be fine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast