Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ti barrel nuts...hidden issues?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by samuse View Post
    This is ridiculous but I think it's a good thing to check everything out ourselves the best we can.

Kudos to WS6 for doing some work, I'll keep an eye out for results.
    What can I say, I never outgrew the "Go look it up yourself..." phase. I simply added "do" to "look it up", after I learned how full of crap "the books" and "the internet" and everything else was. My cousin (old hot-rod guy, owned a drag strip, raced dirt-track, etc.) used to say, "Don't believe anything you hear, and only half of what you see."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    What can I say, I never outgrew the "Go look it up yourself..." phase. I simply added "do" to "look it up", after I learned how full of crap "the books" and "the internet" and everything else was. My cousin (old hot-rod guy, owned a drag strip, raced dirt-track, etc.) used to say, "Don't believe anything you hear, and only half of what you see."
    I am down with this also!

Heck, who knows! perhaps that steel nut will waste away to oblivion, and the AL/Ti combo will be left over with nothing but a slight white film on it. If I had to guess, I would think the steel nut would be more of an anode then the small sections exposed on the tube.
    Founder and co-owner/operator at 2A-Armament

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by redmist View Post
    I am down with this also!

Heck, who knows! perhaps that steel nut will waste away to oblivion, and the AL/Ti combo will be left over with nothing but a slight white film on it. If I had to guess, I would think the steel nut would be more of an anode then the small sections exposed on the tube.
    The steel nut is rusting a tiny bit. I removed the assembly from the solution for a few hours today to expose it to air. basically, when I got home from work I took it out, and now it's going back in. Will repeat tomorrow. How long should I wait? I'm thinking 7 days of this is enough. Anyone leaving their weapon in salt-water (ocean) on/off without cleaning/drying for a week has more issues than Ti/AL interaction. I'll probably put it back in long-term and just report on it when the solution is 100% evaporated, after that.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I took a 7075 Buffer Tube and scuffed the ano off of the threads in one section. I then threaded a V7 raw Ti castle nut in place, and butted a 4140 or some such mil-spec castle nut up against it to apply tension on the threads/insure full dynamic contact. Then, I loaded 1L of water with 2 table spoons of sea-salt purchased from the store, placed this in a cup, and placed the assembly in said cup, removing it for a few hours each day to expose it to oxygen, etc. The test ran for roughly 80 hours, in this manner.

I could not discern ANY corrosion of any sort, aside that of the steel castle nut. Both the Ti, as expected, and the Al buffer tube, both on the scuffed and un-abraided sections, remained free of any sign of corrosion, either build-up, or darkening of the metal. There was simply no visual indication of corrosion that I could detect.

I did not take pictures because they would be IDENTICAL to the first set, except showing a rusted steel barrel nut.

*Copy of this sent to V7 by their request*

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Here, here! That's the spirit! Thanks

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234