Thread: PTR-91 and bull barrels

Feedback Score

PTR-91 and bull barrels

Some models of the PTR-91 come with 18-inch bull barrels. Compared to the standard HK-profile barrel, would the average shooter notice any improvement in accuracy? Seems like a lot of weight up forward in the rifle.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    They offer a bit more rigidity. As far as noticeable accuracy goes, I doubt it. They are the same inside.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you're going to buy a PTR-91 stick with the GI model. If you want it as a range toy leave as is but if you plan to use it to defend your life then get a Pro to install the paddle mag release. I'd also change out the flash suppressor to one with the retaining clip because there is reports of guys shooting the stock, non-clip flash suppressor down range. Buy a bayonet adapter and a steel grip frame if you want to go hog wild.

Feedback Score
    First I've heard of pieces flying off this gun. Maybe a POS after all?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    He was referring to the flash suppressor. Stock ptr doesn't use a spring retainer. As a result it backed off and got struck thus breaking it. My new one is threaded 5 / 8x24 and doesn't use a retainer, but has wrench flats.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    As stated above I was referring to the flash suppressor flying off. PTR uses a flash suppressor that resembles the original but it lacks the retaining clip which is just a wire spring that engages in notches to lock it on. I've watched a friend and other people at the range shoot their flash suppressor off. It comes loose from the vibration and continues to unscrew itself until a bullet hits it and then it's gone. Other people on the net have reported this happening to their rifle as well. I'm not saying it will happen but for less than $20. you can replace the PTR flash suppressor with another U.S. made one which has the clip insuring your flash suppressor won't fly off.

Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    First I've heard of pieces flying off this gun. Maybe a POS after all?

Feedback Score
    Good to know, Berserkr. Any recommended sources for this new flash suppressor?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Robertrg.com, hkparts.net, other online places.