Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Home/Basement/Garage Gym Pictures?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Home/Basement/Garage Gym Pictures?

Who here trains at home? I'm looking for some pictures and tips for setting up a gym in tight space. I'm about 2 years away from buying a house but when I do it will be a garage gym set up (south Florida, no basements, will need air conditioning as well, so if someone has advice on how to best set that up I'd love to hear about it), 2 stalls so the space will be like 20x20. This will not be a cross fit or powerlifting gym (I do deadlift and squat however), it will be set up for bodybuilding.

Wish list:

Power rack with last pull down/low row with land mine, the following is what I have in mind:

http://www.ironcompany.com/fusion-se...half-cage.aspx

Cable cross over (adjustable for height), not sure what model I want except I want pin selected weight stack (not plate loaded)

Smith Machine, again open to suggestions here, I'd want something solid.

Preacher or preferably preacher/spider curl combo)

Seated calf raise machine

Leg press/Hack squat combo

Glute/ham developer

Sit up bench

Now I'm thinking if I put the power rack on one side of the room, smith machine directly opposite the power rack I'd have room to fit the cable cross over in between them (saving some room) and I'd be able to fit the other pieces in there. Is this possible or am I delusional?

The rest of the gym would consist of various bars & cable attachments. For Dumbbells I think I'd go with the old school standard weights as they are smaller than Olympic Dumbbells.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Here is our home set up. 8'x10' area with 3/4" plywood covering laminate flooring on the slab. Rubber matting on top.

We have a lot more plates now, and a couple small curl bars too. DL's are done outside this area so that two people can work out at the same time.
    Two broken Tigers, on fire in the night,
    Flicker their souls to the wind...
    -Roads to Moscow

Not Forgotten:
    http://www.virtualwall.org/dk/KillenJD01a.htm
    http://www.virtualwall.org/db/BoddenTR01a.htm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic303 View Post
    Here is our home set up. 8'x10' area with 3/4" plywood covering laminate flooring on the slab. Rubber matting on top.

We have a lot more plates now, and a couple small curl bars too. DL's are done outside this area so that two people can work out at the same time.
    Nice set up, but be careful with rubber mats if you have any moisture. The rubber can trap moisture, causing mold/milder issues. Not saying it won't work, but keep an eye on it...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Do you really need all that machinery?

My Monster Lite rig:

Cage
    Platform
    Bar
    Iron
    Bench
    +
    Squats/Deadlifts/Bench Press/Overhead Press/Pendlay Rows/Chin-ups

What else is needed?
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzinSATX View Post
    Nice set up, but be careful with rubber mats if you have any moisture. The rubber can trap moisture, causing mold/milder issues. Not saying it won't work, but keep an eye on it...
    What is the benefit rubber mats versus bare concrete slab?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It's quieter with the rubber mats. It covers the ugly plywood and prevents splinters. If it is the right type and thickness of matting, it can protect the slab when you drop the weights, especially if you don't have a lot of bumper plates.
    Two broken Tigers, on fire in the night,
    Flicker their souls to the wind...
    -Roads to Moscow

Not Forgotten:
    http://www.virtualwall.org/dk/KillenJD01a.htm
    http://www.virtualwall.org/db/BoddenTR01a.htm

Feedback Score
    I train at home and highly recommend it.

Going to a gym is a giant pain and you have to share.

Plus, wear and tear on your vehicle, gas cost, subject yourself to a vehicle accident, gym dues and rules.

At home, when I'm ready to work out I don't have to wait for some dude to get done so I can use the equipment. Or listen to his crappy music. Or the gym's crappy music.

Or put up with someone blabbing on their phone, or sitting on bench b.s.ing with another gym member.

Or..., wait, the list of reasons to train at home is endless...

Of course, if you train at home, you won't be able to show off (if you're into that) or meet women or socialize, which I think many actually go there for those reasons.

If, you're serious about training and not for all the b.s. reasons some go to a gym, home is perfect.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    No photos but had a garage setup. What worked for me total body centered around a Body Solid Series 7 Smith.

It contained:
    - Squat rack/bar/gun rack on the front of a 7* smith machine w weight stack/cables
    - flat/incline bench
    - leg station attachment
    - preacher attachment
    - plates

Plus:
    - set of dumbbells
    - resistance bands
    - cable attachments - wide bar, close-grip bar, single handles, rope, chain, ankle straps
    - 4"x4"x6" wood blocks (for risers smith work)
    - 2"x6"x5' board (for risers on smith work)

From this equipment I was able to do a lot of exercises, compound and isolated movements, free weight and cable exercises.

The Smith Machine was pricey, it was a total splurge. Partly due to me having only one arm and the features of this machine allowed me to do all the exercises in my workout as I needed to do them with my physical limitations, SAFELY. I work out alone, I had to make sure I didn't completely mame or kill myself on heavier days. The versatility of this setup was impressive.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This is ours. I find working out at home to be ideal. I can workout anytime I want, doing anything I want. The kids can play outside in the driveway or do some exercises with us.

I have been doing the SOFLETE Juggernaut program and I can do 90% of the program with what is shown.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Good stuff fellas keep the pictures rolling and Shorts you are a really inspiration brother keep up the hard work!

I found the following piece, it would allow me to combine smith machine & cable crossover (Shorts got me thinking about this type of combo), anyone have any experience with it?

http://livewellsports.com/bodycraft-...h-stack-guards

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast