Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my YHM/BCM custom build

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

my YHM/BCM custom build

Hello all, long time lurker, this is my first post actually. Great wealth of info on this site, it helped steer me in certain directions during my build. I was at my friendly LGS back around xmas time picking up the CZ 85 combat pistol I was treating myself to and ended up purchasing a YHM stripped lower while I was there. I had no rifles in my collection so I figured what the hell, I might as well build something that I can setup how I want, have fun with at the range and have at home for self defense and SHTF situations. I figure if I can rebuild and engines and transmissions (vw/audi mechanic for a living) I can surely assemble a rifle. Unfortunately I live in northern NJ so I have to abide by this states horrific rules when it comes to semi auto rifles. That means no collapsible stock, no bayonet lug, no flash hider or threaded barrel and 15 round capacity for magazines.

Here are the specs on the rifle

YHM lower
    CMMG ambi safety selector
    ALG ACT trigger
    Magpul MOE enhanced trigger guard
    Magpul MOE+ pistol grip
    YHM ez pull takedown pins
    Red barn armory milspec buffer tube kit
    Magpul MOE fixed carbine stock
    Magpul QD socket for sling
    BCM upper
    BCM M16 BCG
    BCM mod4 charging handle
    BCM 16" standard lightweight barrel w/midlength gas system
    F marked FSB
    Magpul BUIS
    Spikes dynacomp
    Magpul MOE handguard
    Magpul VFG
    Primary arms microdot

I purchased all the lower parts from Red Barn Armory as I was able to pick my own LPK from them. Good customer service from them btw, I made a few purchases from them and from primary arms who I also though gave fantastic service. Nothing needs to be said about BCM, they are a stand up company as we all know. My LGS is also the home range that I shoot (indoor 25yard) at so I picked up some of the parts there also.

So being in NJ I figured the fixed stock was easiest way around the no collapsible stock rule, had to cut the bayonet lug off the fsb and drill the threads on the barrel so I could pin and weld the dynacomp. I purchased the BCM upper assembled and test fired direct from them. So it had the barrel, FSB and gas tube already on the receiver. However it also came with a BCM mod 0 compensator on it. NJ allows muzzle brakes and comps that are permanently attached but no flash hiders, unfortunately right in the description of the BCM comp it mentions flash suppression so I figured let me play it safe and get something else, hence the spikes dynacomp. I had shown the BCM compensator to a few of me LEO friends that I shoot regularly with and they all said change it out just to play it safe also.

I knew I didn't want a standard LPK as I wanted an ambi selector so my left handed girlfriend could be somewhat comfortable shooting the rifle also. I also wanted magpul furniture as I like the look and I like how the pistol grip feels compared to the standard A2 grip. I like the ACT trigger, for the price, it feels much nice than all the rifles I have shot with standard milspec unit. As for the primary arms micro dot, I know its cheap but I wasn't sure if I want a red dot or a scope so I figured its a cheap investment to see if I like a red dot. I have about 2K rounds down the range and it has held zero just fine, unfortunately its a 25 yard indoor range. I look forward to being able to go down to Fort Dix and shoot longer distances as the outdoor range. The rife shoots very accurate and has had zero issues in the 2K rounds I have put thru it so far. I'm happy with it, I find it a tad heavy so maybe in the future I will look into different barrel options and maybe a nice free float handguard.

Feedback Score
    Very nice love the ALG trigger

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevlar1911a1 View Post
    Very nice love the ALG trigger
    It is a nice step up from a standard milspec without spending big bucks on a trigger.

Feedback Score
    Nice set up for a guy living in a commie state. Every time I read a thread from someone in a less free state, I have to say a short prayer of thanks for me living in Indiana. (although I am way too close to Illinois) When you get used to it more you will find it (or hardly ANY AR ) is too heavy. Some are lighter than others, but compared to many other designs, the AR is a light gun.
    Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 09-19-15 at 18:25.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    Nice looking rifle OP! I especially like the stock.
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I like it. Simple, and quality bits where they're the most important. Not sure I fully understand the MOE VFG on a MOE rail section on the MOE handguard, when the MVG just mounts straight to it, but whatever. Only addition I'd suggest is some flavor of sling, and a light - other than that, not bad!
    Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionysusigma View Post
    I like it. Simple, and quality bits where they're the most important. Not sure I fully understand the MOE VFG on a MOE rail section on the MOE handguard, when the MVG just mounts straight to it, but whatever. Only addition I'd suggest is some flavor of sling, and a light - other than that, not bad!
    Thanks everyone.

Its the RVG version not the MVG, so I'm stuck using it with a small section of rail. Personally I'd like to remove it and give the grip pod a shot. I like shooting from a bench, I just don't like using the magazine as a monopod.

A sling is on the list of things to purchase in the near future. Im also trying to decide if I want a magnifier for the red dot or a 1-4x scope. That will be my Xmas present to myself when I decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Nice job, I like the stock too got one on mine because here in Jersey we can't have a folder or collapsable I mean god knows it might make it dangerous. Slick gun good job.

Ed

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ejr490 View Post
    Nice job, I like the stock too got one on mine because here in Jersey we can't have a folder or collapsable I mean god knows it might make it dangerous. Slick gun good job.

Ed
    Thanks.

This state is so weird, but hey it could be worse, we could have to deal with MA, NY or CA laws.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Very nice build! Congrats and welcome!!
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast