Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CCW pistol for the little lady.

Feedback Score

CCW pistol for the little lady.

I have a fairly broad gun collection, and the little lady has recently expressed an interest in obtaining her concealed weapon permit and carrying. However, I'm having some difficulty in finding the ideal gun for her. I'd like to hear what suggestions you all may have. I don't want to miss out on a gun that would be good for her just because I don't know it exists. Bear in mind that she's about 5'2", 105 lbs. Please take the following requirements into consideration:

-the gun should be small and light weight, otherwise she'll never carry it.
    -recoil should be relatively mild.
    -the gun should be reliable.
    -she has shot some of the guns in the safe, and dislikes the revolvers. These include a S&W 637 and 340PD. They're not ruled out, just letting you know thus far she hasn't found one she likes. A lesser caliber than 38Spc might be okay though.

I have been thinking about a Bersa 380. I'm going to borrow a friends and see how she likes that. I was also thinking about the new Ruger 380 that's supposed to be coming out, but I'm not sure if they're available yet. I have a Keltec P32 that I'm going to let her shoot, which is also available in 380, so if she likes that, I may lean towards one of those. I beleive Sig and Beretta also make 380's.

She has a Sig 239 in 9mm, but she says that's too heavy and she doesn't want to carry it around, and having seen her shoot it, well, I think she needs something a little smaller in power. I'm open to all calibers, as something is better than nothing. I do want it to be reliable though.

So, is there anything out there that I haven't listed that is worth her taking a look at? Also, how do the ladies that you know who carry, carry? In a purse, holster on the hip....what?

Thanks

ToddG Guest
    If the recoil of 9mm in the P239 is too much for her, going to a blowback .380 will be worse, not better.

I'd respectfully suggest that what she needs is some professional instruction to become more familiar and confident. After that, she should know enough to pick her own gun.

Failing that, in the "anything is better than nothing" column I'd look at the Kel-Tec .32 if you need a low-recoil, small, lightweight gun. Test yours to make sure it runs reliably with the ammo she'll carry.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I'd respectfully suggest that what she needs is some professional instruction to become more familiar and confident. After that, she should know enough to pick her own gun.

That's in the works.

Feedback Score
    1 (57%)
    I know a lot of people dont like beretta's but the Tomcat .32 has served me well!! Ive shot A little over 2100 rounds through it in the last year and it has held up very well with no malfuctions yet. I usally carry it in my back pocket when I cant carry my G17. My Girlfriend liked it so much she ended up getting one of the .25 caliber ones I believe it is the 950 and she carries it in her purse most of the time!

Feedback Score

Some thoughts

My wife has her CCW, BUT does NOT shoot. Now that I'm back stateside I intend to get her up to snuff with my weapons. I'll have her shoot my 2 Colts(Gov't and OM) as a "baseline"(if you "can handle a .45 you can shoot anything"kind of psychology)then get into shooting the Glocks as something more viable for her. The G26 would be a nice package for her and something I'd recommend for anyone's wife. The manual of arms is simple: Load,Rack and Shoot. The only other hangun type I would recommend is a Smith Steel J-frame(the Airweights and exotic metal models carry nicer,BUT require more skill to shoot well)38Spl. Again SIMPLE and if you can score a pre-lock(or the new Model 40)it's ALWAYS GONNA GO BANG! My wife's a LEFTY so I'm thinking revolver also to eliminate the ejected cases across the face thing. GOOD LUCK
    "WE DEAL IN LEAD FRIEND.", Steve McQueen,THe Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)/OIF 2007-08
    Colt Gov't & OM / G19 & 26/SP101
    Retired NYS LEO/NRA Life Member

Feedback Score
    The Beretta Cheetah is a great little gun.

.380 ACP - 10 round capacity - Super comfortable - DA/SA w/ Decocker - Accurate as hell - Low felt recoil.

Kahr Arms makes a NICE compact pistol but they're super expensive.

Feedback Score
    Have her try (and shoot) the CZ RAMI or M&P9c if you can rent them at a range in your area. Both are high cap (12 rounds of 9mm). I see quite a few women at the range renting and shooting them. I let folks/couples use my M&P9c with CTC grips if they are watching me shoot. After a few mags and get used to loud bangs/the shock of actually shooting a weapon, the women love them. My friend who's 5'4 and 110lbs with baby doll hands and never fired a gun before, took a few range sessions, but now shoots better than most and ask me constantly when we are going back to the range. Confidence is key.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    Beretta/Browning BDA .380 or, better, a G19 with a grip reduction. Someone is probably still loading 100 grainers or less in 9mm (non-Plus P).

Feedback Score
    I "issued" my wife a Smith & Wesson 642 with Crimson Trace.

Stay safe.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast