Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CCW pistol for the little lady.

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by akviper View Post
    Don't discount the 22 for defense.
    While something is certainly better than nothing and I agree it's important for a shooter (male or female) to have a gun he can shoot, rimfire ammunition is substantially less reliable than than centerfire ammo and I would never recommend it for defense. The process used to create the primers is notorious for leaving "dead space" along the rim, and if a particular round chambers at a particular orientation, even repeated snaps to the primer won't set off the gun.

If a shooter has trouble manipulating the slide, first be sure it's really a matter of upper body strength rather than just bad technique. If a shooter can load the gun but has trouble locking the slide back, just have him use an empty magazine. Also be aware that the amount of force needed to retract a slide varies greatly from brand to brand and model to model. As a general rule, 9mm guns are easier because they have lighter springs. Whenever possible, have the shooter try a number of different guns at the local shop or test range. Also be aware that sometimes it's not a matter of strength so much as a matter of willpower. Some shooters (especially some girls) simply don't like the sharp pointy feel of the slide and they worry if they press too hard they'll get cut. So instead they make a half-effort, fail, and declare defeat.

If the shooter cannot overcome the slide spring on any semiautos, it's time to look at revolvers. Initial practice can be achieved with basic light wadcutters for minimal recoil, then the gun can be loaded with some .38 +p stuff for carry. Of course, a DA revolver brings its own strength issue to play, namely the trigger pull. If you're willing to invest the money, you can have a trigger job performed that will make it much easier.

If the shooter can't overcome the slide spring issue for semis and can't overcome the trigger pull weight of a revolver, you're pretty much left with tilt-up barrel guns like the small- and medium-frame Berettas.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Lazarus Time!

Todd et al

My wife is looking for a Personal Protection gun that she most likely will not carry much. (for one reason, she works in Chicago)

She has carpel tunnel in both wrists and has trouble racking the slide of my M&P9c. After a range session today we stopped by a LGS and looked at .380s since she is recoil sensitive as well. She liked the look and feel of the Bersa Thunder and was able to rack the slide much more easily than my M&P.

I would like suggestions for what she should look at and try out. We belong to a gun club so there is a pretty good chance that we can borrow several guns for her to try.

Thanks

Buckaroo
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Feedback Score
    You know, I may be insane or something, but I have both a G19 and a Bersa .380, and for some reason I feel more recoil with the Bersa than the Glock.

Best way I can describe it is the Glock has kind of a firm push, but the Bersa is kind of a sharp kick. I actually dislike shooting it for that reason.

Yet my wife doesn't seem to mind it. Go figure.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
    You know, I may be insane or something, but I have both a G19 and a Bersa .380, and for some reason I feel more recoil with the Bersa than the Glock.

Best way I can describe it is the Glock has kind of a firm push, but the Bersa is kind of a sharp kick. I actually dislike shooting it for that reason.

Yet my wife doesn't seem to mind it. Go figure.
    I hear that a lot, I am trying to find a Bersa for my wife to try. Different recoil for different folks? I have had folks suggest a KelTec over the Bersa! I can't imagine that.

Buckaroo
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Feedback Score
    The Bersa produces VERY stiff recoil. You're not crazy in feeling like it is harder to handle than a 19. Fact is, the Ruger LCP, Bersa .380 AND Sig P232 all produced more felt recoil in my hands, and the hands of multiple people I've taught to shoot than even my 21sf. The 21sf was bigger and harder to get a good grip on, but it didn't buck like either of the .380s.

Now, the EMP is a great little suggestion but for a few things:

1: It is prohibitively expensive for people who are not "gun" people, as in the case of most women.

2: It is built on the 1911 platform, which means it must be maintained like a 1911 to be kept running smoothly and problem-free.

3: While it is a joy to shoot (when it runs well), it only provides 9 rounds of ammunition per magazine, and is not made to run +p ammunition (according to the people I spoke to in SA's shop the 2nd and 3rd times I had to send it in for failing to eat JHP's without jamming up on me.)

4: Being that it is a totally proprietary design, the magazines are also proprietary, can be expensive, and can be difficult to get. On top of that (and I know, this is nit-picking) they have no witness holes.

Don't get me wrong; I LOVE the EMP as a shooter, and I will someday get mine back from my father (probably right after I lower his casket--he LOVES it more than I do), but I wouldn't feel comfortable having my wife carry it.

My suggestion will ape those of others who have posted: Get your lovely lady some quality training with a Glock 19 or 26, and then work with her to change her clothing a bit so that she can conceal one of them comfortably while she goes about her daily business. You just won't find a simpler, more reliable, hassle-free gun than a Glock. 17 moving parts, and she could go hundreds of rounds between cleaning and never have to worry about it. Try that with an EMP.

Good luck,

Jason

ETA a pic of my EMP:

Last edited by I'mGatMan!; 02-22-09 at 09:39.

Feedback Score
    Howdy, I'm knew here.
    My dad bought me and XD-45 service model, it packs a wallop but I love it! It took me a whole to be able to shoot it one handed though. (I'm 4'11 and 95 lbs) I also have a XD-9 subcompact, lot less recoil and a hell of a lot easier to conceal especially if she's wearing a dress!

Feedback Score
    Congrats on the .45! My wife wants a Glock 30sf after trying one..

Feedback Score
    I like to refer women interested in concealed carry to http://CorneredCat.com/. Kathy is now senior editor of USCCA magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Jackson
    No one in her right mind fights for the sake of fighting. But if you have to defend yourself, it's good to have sharp claws.

Below you will find articles dealing with gun safety, kids, mindset, and much more. There are glossaries and step-by-step instructions on the shooting basics. If you've ever wondered about the legal or social or practical or ethical aspects of owning a gun or carrying it, or wonder if carrying a gun is right for you, you've come to the right place.

So pull up a chair, sit down, and rest awhile. We have a lot to talk about.
    Howard
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense
    If it is to be it is up to me

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    While something is certainly better than nothing and I agree it's important for a shooter (male or female) to have a gun he can shoot, rimfire ammunition is substantially less reliable than than centerfire ammo and I would never recommend it for defense. The process used to create the primers is notorious for leaving "dead space" along the rim, and if a particular round chambers at a particular orientation, even repeated snaps to the primer won't set off the gun.
    As a long time and heavy user of .22s I must partially disagree with this statement. Certainly it's true of the promotional ammo that's $10/500, but that's like saying because we don't trust our lives to centerfire Aguila or S&B, all centerfire ammo is crap.

If a person chooses to carry a .22 for self defense, using high quality ammo such as Federal Premium Gold Medal Target Ammunition 22 Long Rifle High Velocity will yield a much difference customer experience than promotional ammo. OMG, it's $5.00 a box of 50; for .22s? I have to laugh when I hear people say that, when I know they are paying $25/20 rounds of centerfire for self defense.

Even Federal AutoMatch Target Ammunition 22 Long Rifle has proven extremely reliable for me. Over 1500 rounds with no misfires at all. I wish some of the pistols at our classes had that kind of reliability.
    It's only an "arm's length" gun if you're incompetent.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I agree with the idea that it is nothing to do with her size, it is a mindset issue. My wife is tiny too, and has no trouble with a Glock 19, .38Snubbie or even a 1911 in .45

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast