Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Medical Cannabis Discussion

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    I was there the weekend before 4th of July, and even the night before rec became legal, Fremont was celebrating it heavily lol. They even told a guy he can't do the zoom line because he was too high
    Yes well, we know the shortage was not due to medical uses...
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It does illustrate the stigma that cannabis brings to any discussion of its medical applicability.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Yes well, we know the shortage was not due to medical uses...
    Yes we do
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    It does illustrate the stigma that cannabis brings to any discussion of its medical applicability.
    I personally don't care, but it's a fair point. As with many/any drug, it's medical utility needs to be separated from it's social/cultural uses. I'd like to see a focus on parsing out the medical uses first, but legalization is needed for that to really take place, so...
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Studies finding potential medical benefits of compounds found in cannabis are coming out all the time now. Hopefully these finding will lead to more effective non toxic therapies for cancer:

"A new study confirms that cannabinoids, which are a class of active chemicals in cannabis, can successfully kill leukemia cells. They also find that the combination of chemicals and the order in which they are given is important. The findings will, no doubt, open the door to more effective treatments."

A new study, published recently in the International Journal of Oncology, explored these combinations in more depth. They also looked at the potential use of cannabinoids in conjunction with the existing chemotherapy drugs cytarabine and vincristine.

The researchers were led by Dr. Wai Liu at St George's, University of London in the United Kingdom. Studying cancer cells in the laboratory, the team tested various combinations of cannabinoids and chemotherapy drugs to find the most effective groupings. They also tried to understand whether or not the order that the chemicals were given in would make a difference to success rates.

They found that cannabidiol and THC, when used alone, killed leukemia cells. However, when used in conjunction, their potency was significantly improved; the whole is more than the sum of the parts.

They also showed that an initial dose of chemotherapy followed by cannabinoids improved overall outcomes against the leukemia cells. Combining chemotherapy with cannabinoids provided better results than giving chemotherapy alone, or the combination of cannabidiol and THC. However, this increased potency was only seen if the cannabinoids were given after the chemotherapy, and not the other way around.

Cont:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/arti...17798.php?iacp

Source study:

https://www.spandidos-publications.com/ijo/51/1/369
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    No matter where you stand on this issue, a topic worth exploration without pre existing bias. I have no doubts there are legit medical uses for various compounds found in Marijuana - some of which are only now being examined in any depth - and it needs to be funded and studies by the NIH and or other major university level labs. Current control status and stigma prevents most medical researchers from touching it, but that appears to be changing. For those interested, some worthwhile resources that may be of value.

The endocannabinoid system for example is a fast emerging area of research. Several compounds found in cannabis (Phytocannabinoids) directly impact this system. The best known of course is Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the most psychoactive of them. Others however appear to have direct effects and benefits, and having no
    psychoactive effects, such as cannabidiol (CBD) and cannabinol (CBN) which appear to have anti inflammatory and possible anti cancer
    effects. Various pharma companies are looking into compounds that target receptors in Endocannabinoid System and is an Emerging Target of Pharmacotherapy for
    a wide range of human diseases.

Info on the endocannabinoid system HERE

Possible studies of interest HERE

This series was well done I thought. These are anecdotal discussions with users and med/sci types, but more than compelling enough that we need to move forward with additional legit study and less agenda and bias in my view and separate the topic from those who just want to get stoned from those with legit medical need:

http://www.awetv.com/miraclecure/
    Cannabis is a drug. As such, it has an effect on the body.

Working in the medical profession, I see abuse of everything you can think of, including benadryl (rapid IVP).

Potential for abuse, mis-use, and damage exists with anything that can affect the body, simply by the very nature of its ability to do so.

I think that potential for good and sound use of cannabis products exist, as does potential for abuse. I think that the only reason this is a "hot topic" is because of the racially motivated laws that were created decades ago targeting cannabis. I have myself given derivatives to patients (Marinol), and the "But legal..." argument holds zero water with me. We pump patients full of hydromorphone and morphine for simple headaches so they won't get pissy and leave AMA so our HCAHPS scores won't suffer, and it's a legally viable action, and then we balk at "Oh, but cannabis is illegal, so it must be BAADDDD for people!!!". Respectfully, **** that logic.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I personally don't care, but it's a fair point. As with many/any drug, it's medical utility needs to be separated from it's social/cultural uses. I'd like to see a focus on parsing out the medical uses first, but legalization is needed for that to really take place, so...
    While still not federally legal, Will, the feds do have a single location where MJ is grown to provide for research. So, it's not *totally* ignored.
    http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...529-story.html

Not to mention a bunch of anecdotal evidence being collected in the state-approved regions. One of which is that the THC concentration in a lot of MJ-substitutes is increasing, which is causing toxicity issues.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
    While still not federally legal, Will, the feds do have a single location where MJ is grown to provide for research. So, it's not *totally* ignored.
    http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...529-story.html

Not to mention a bunch of anecdotal evidence being collected in the state-approved regions. One of which is that the THC concentration in a lot of MJ-substitutes is increasing, which is causing toxicity issues.
    My grandpa grew cannabis (and many other things, like opium, etc) for the USDA in South TX at their facility there. I doubt it's "one place".

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Cannabis may or may not have medical benefit that someday allows it to be part of accepted pharmacological therapy. I do think that the recreational marijuana enthusiast culture certainly clouds that issue and applied a overlay that will always make its medical benefits suspect in the minds of many. Including the Feds.

I don't for a minute believe that the government's Schedule I categorization has anything to do with medical validity. Their regulations have so much non-medical overlay (racist? Seriously?) that it's hard to trust the FDA's regulatory process. Personally, I am totally indifferent. I don't care if it's legalized for recreation or not. And if, someday, they can find a valid medical use for cannabis that provides me with a medical therapy that I will find useful in my practice, I'll prescribe for my patients just like any other new drug on the market, and just as soon as the Federal government takes it off schedule I thereby assuring me that my DEA license isn't in jeopardy. I certainly don't expect that that will happen in my practice lifetime, and I can't for the life of me guess what possible benefit cannabis would have for the patients of laparoendoscopic surgeon.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Cannabis may or may not have medical benefit that someday allows it to be part of accepted pharmacological therapy. I do think that the recreational marijuana enthusiast culture certainly clouds that issue and applied a overlay that will always make its medical benefits suspect in the minds of many. Including the Feds.

I don't for a minute believe that the government's Schedule I categorization has anything to do with medical validity. Their regulations have so much non-medical overlay (racist? Seriously?) that it's hard to trust the FDA's regulatory process. Personally, I am totally indifferent. I don't care if it's legalized for recreation or not. And if, someday, they can find a valid medical use for cannabis that provides me with a medical therapy that I will find useful in my practice, I'll prescribe for my patients just like any other new drug on the market, and just as soon as the Federal government takes it off schedule I thereby assuring me that my DEA license isn't in jeopardy. I certainly don't expect that that will happen in my practice lifetime, and I can't for the life of me guess what possible benefit cannabis would have for the patients of laparoendoscopic surgeon.
    They already have and use cannabis derivatives. Marinol, for one.
    Yes, do some research into what led to cannabis being banned. It has its roots in anti-Black and anti-Latino politics.
    No, I doubt the use of it will affect YOUR practice much, if at all.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dru...p/marinol.html

Now consider if you were proscribed this...would you rather pay for it/buy it, or just have a few pot plants? Yeah, I agree with you the stoner culture as I call it really muddies the waters, on topics like this, though.
    Last edited by WS6; 07-26-17 at 06:50.

Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast